Buying an older high end receiver?

BluBitRates

No, only an audio signal with over 6 times the encoded bitrate that can be sent over optical. Smile

not sure what you meant there wuzzzer.

my understanding is lossles is only on the HD codecs? right?

i don't have that many blurays, and some of the blurays i have don't even got the new HD formats. so, i won't be missing much. and also, most TV stations still broadcast in DD.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah took me a bit to get what wuzzer was saying then i laughed. You said " i wont be misssing much" he said "no, only an audio signal with 6 times the encoded bitrate" [:P]. You have blu-rays that are not encoded in hd sound? I thought like 95% were encoded in hd sound. True you will see no benefit from tv stations and if you do not rent blu-rays or own many than the benefit might not be crucial. Like most of the people on this forum though with nice speakers and a nice receiver getting a signal with 6 times the bitrate is a worthy upgrade. When do you get your receiver? We are waiting anxiously for pics

not sure what you meant there wuzzzer.

my understanding is lossles is only on the HD codecs? right?

i don't have that many blurays, and some of the blurays i have don't even got the new HD formats. so, i won't be missing much. and also, most TV stations still broadcast in DD.

Lossless is only on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs. I know that there are some Blu-Ray discs that are encoded in DD or DTS at their highest audio format but they're in the minority.

I'm just here to help you get the most out of your system. And spend your hard-earned money while at it. [8-|]

Yeah, i dont expect you to buy my bd-player but seriously you have got to go lossless. Okay you got the 50'' tv, the speakers and now (hopefully) the receiver. Do you not want immersive sound from movies? I wish i would have had the chance to hook this up and try out lossless before i ship it out, too bad i sold my 52'' sony lcd (what was i thinking?!). Hoping that in 8 months i am going to be in the situation to buy a 55'' LED and maybe an oppo 83??

ALERT!

Any one in the miama/ south florida area may be tempted at this vsx-55txi for sale http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ele/1643429356.html Could probably get him down to $150 since it does not include the remote. Too bad i am sure the remotes for these are quite expensive but i believe most of the functions can be accessed from the front panel

thanks all for the clarifications on the lossless thingy. i just don't want to spend more $$$ after bunkering down near $300 for my Sony bluray some months ago. man, how their values fall off a cliff.

blu, no i did not have the chance to pick it up yesterday. it was raining crazy all day around here - and more rain today. hopefully, i'll have it in a day or two.

Got the VSX43 home today. After about an hour of 2 channel listenining, I am impressed.

First, this unit is a beast. Huge and Heavy. It certainly drove the RF3s with authority.

Second, there was BIG improvement with 2 channel over my Onkyo 540. You can tell that imagaing, clarity, and detail got a big boost. I really like the sound of this receiver. It puts out a more warm/neutral sound compared to the brightness that comes from the cheapo Onkyo, at least to my ears. Soundstage seems to opened up a bit, and bass/mid bass is very tight.

Pics coming tonight..................

Yeah i was stepping up from receiver that wasnt Great too and it makes it easy to notice a difference. I have only used mine for 2 channel since i got it and look forward to once i finally get my HT going again to hear 5 channels. Seems like it would really be a greatmatch for the rf3s. Yes give us pics!

Yeah is the bottom shelf taller? If so i would switch them out. Mine doesnt run hot but it does heat up, i imagine with more than one amp running it could get quite warm.

actually, they are equaled in heights. the top shelf looks shorter because of the horizontal metal running across. if you look closer, it's all space behind the metal bar.