Buying an older high end receiver?

BluBitRates

Thanks BluBit.. I will be in the market for a blue ray player in a few weeks. Can you give me some good recommendations..Something under $300. The Denon early models are great solution for a decent HT sound if you cant afford the latest and greatest. I dont want a AV receiver rated under 110 watts and at least 35 lbs..that will cost 1k plus with the new formats.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha i know i love a heavy receiver. Your best bet on a blu-ray player is the oppo bdp 83. Unfortunately i think those cannot be had for less than $450. I just bought the samsung bd-p2500 on ebay. Like i said i will sell it to you at the cost i paid and will test it out on my parents tv first to make sure it works great. I will sell it to you for $99 shipped. Also the sony bdp-s550 has analog out. There is a thread on the AVS forums with a list of all the blu-ray players and whether they decode and send hd audio through analog outputs.

Yeah that is the whole point of getting a receiver with analog outs. The blu-ray player has to be able to completely decode and send all 4 new high def codecs. You are getting the best sound you can just like with the newest receivers minus a few tinkering options i believe. By the way guy i just got new speakers (not klipsch [:o]) might post them here or start a new thread!

Yeah that is the whole point of getting a receiver with analog outs. The blu-ray player has to be able to completely decode and send all 4 new high def codecs. You are getting the best sound you can just like with the newest receivers minus a few tinkering options i believe. By the way guy i just got new speakers (not klipsch Surprise) might post them here or start a new thread!

Sweet! thanks... time to start looking around for analog out blue ray... ya let us know what you got Blu..are they reference ?

jamo 707i . Anyone have any experience with jamo? I heard they use to make some crap speakers in early 90's these are from 96' msrp around $1699.

Edit: LOL just realized that JAMO is owned by Klipsch. So i guess they are klipsch speakers.[H]. Well should have started my own thread....

That is a smart move. Just craiglooked it. Looks great, seems like it was taken care of (no dents or scratches) seems pretty dusty in the space there but that is oaky. I wonder what the difference is between the 45 and the 43. The only one i can see is the remote is not the same. When you pick it up plug it in and make sure it does not have a unusually loud hum coming from the power supply (mine has a very very faint one which is normal) a loud one could signify a dying one. Post pics when you get it. Did you talk them down $20 from their already fair price?[:P]

I also know that these receivers often have a problem where the volume know jumps ahead drastically even in the other direction than where you were adjusting. Not a big deal since the remote works best for this. Let me know what your manufacturers date is too, mine was august of 2002. I love just looking at mine, best looking receivers ever! Also i dont know if you have yet but i would suggest ordering 50ft of 12 guage guage wire and some banana plugs if your speakers allow. I still would like a little more power with these receivers but am still blown away by the sound production and they do pack a good punch.

Also if you are looking for a blu-ray player with analog out i am putting mine on ebay tomorrow. It is in perfect shape with the remote. bd-p2500. Bought it and realized i dont want to get another tv until next winter. I will let you have it for $90 shipped. For another $8 bucks i will throw in the 4 premium double rcas for connecting it which i just bought at monoprice and are new in the package http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021803&p_id=2869&seq=1&format=2

I have actually heard people do notice a big difference, i bet you would! You could sell the player you have right now for $70 and get this one and be setup for $28 with lossless. Just a thought, i mean if you are going to have that receiver for 2 or more years you should go to lossless. Not trying to push you into...just seems crazy not to do it when it would not cost you much.

thanks for the offer on the bluray, but i don't plan on doing 7.1 analog at all. i'll just run an optical and settled for lossy. i figured, i won't be missing much.

No, only an audio signal with over 6 times the encoded bitrate that can be sent over optical. [:)]