Buying an older high end receiver?

BluBitRates

My Sony is fine with movies but totally blows when it comes to music although music videos aren't bad. I have an older DA5ES and a lot of cables. I use a switchbox so I can play music through a 2-channel tube amp. It's like comparing a live concert to a transistor radio. I was heartbroken when I first got the Sony thinking I could use it for everything.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Older receivers with 5.1/7.1 analog inputs are something to seriously consider if your Blu-Ray player has 5.1/7.1 analog outputs. Many that originally sold for $1000-2000 are now selling for $100-300.

Yep. I got mine for $140.... It was selling from $750- ? when it came out......($2007 date of manuf).....

This (my) receiver is very good..... I am not sure about yours, but assuming you have done research.... My opinion is that it is the best bang for the buck for getting a HQ receiver for minimum coin...... (Sounds like you love it!!!!)

Good Luck....

What really worried me is that since it was an older receiver something was or would crap out on me (i actually bought this without testing it, met up with a guy halfway). Well after seeing the condition of it my fear of it breaking down has disappeared (although obviously it still may). I would buy another one in a heartbeat and am going to keep my eye out for a really nice older denon. The sony i had weighed 50 lbs and it did have power, it just did not produce sound like this receiver does. I am currently in a home theater transitional period but this receiver + rf-82 + 2 subs is BLISS. Grr now i have to make a $50 monoprice order.

I just dumped my 2006 model Denon in favor of a new one with the HDMI switching and Audyssey setup. Nothing wrong with the old Denon, but the Audyssey and MultEq changed everything for my system. Absolute best upgrade I've ever done. My music sounds wonderful.

yea, looks exactly like mine on the back too. What model is yours? Remote is kind of cool for these too.

Are you using regular speaker wire for antena? I should try that...

I've paired this thing with RF-7s for a bit and it was awesome - really like the sound. I also have Denon 1910 and i think i like the sound of this Pioneer more...

Well i did not try that wire that came with it for the antenna, the speaker wire i use works good though. It is the vsx-45tx. I think it is an amazing receiver, i am a pioneer receiver fan for life now i think. I have my setup in my bedroom (which is medium sized but a small room). It has alot of power but of course like any good audio enthusiast i wonder what 130w sounds like. The remote is Awesome! I love how it uses 4 AA and then sucks all the battery up by having every button backlit red and with an orange lcd display. I just picked up a blu-ray player with analog outputs for $90 so my budget HT is coming along nicely...wait i dont have a tv right now[:S]

I have a 10 yr old Integra receiver and it works fine, the only issue that I have is that my blu-ray needs to be hooked up via 5 analog cables (no HDMI in the teg). I have a 2 channel amp powering my RF7s, and the receiver will not let me adjust the inputs to compensate for the higher wattage going to the towers. The end result is difficulty hearing the RC7 during movies etc. If you are not going to preamp, or if you are, you must go with something that will be balanced to avoid this situation. I am currently looking for a matching three channel or five channel amp to rectify the situation.

Good choice on the denon. Alot of people compared that to the receiver i got and alot of people preferred the denon for the little bit of extra power it has. Yes you need a blu-ray player with Analog outputs, be careful though it has to completely decode and send all the HD audio formats through the analog. Then you would connect those outputs to your EXT IN like you said. If you are looking for a blu-ray player with analog outputs i could hook you up, i just bought one from ebay and realized i am not going to be ready to purchase my next huge tv for a few months (just sold my 52'' sony lcd).