Is it OK to just have 2 speakers?

Birks

First, 2 important facts.

1. I don't know anything about home theatre

2. I don't have any money

That said, I'm good at finding bargains and sensing quality in things I just have a hunch about.

I have an HDTV, but don't have the money to buy a home theatre system or pay someone to hook all that up. However, and I recently saw 2 really nice heavy speakers for sale for $45 dollars (both) at a company rummage sale. They were Klipsch Heresy II speakers, which I had no idea about, but they just looked and felt like they were worth $45 to me. When I got them home, they sat for a week until I went to Goodwill and found a Yamaha Home Theater receiver (R-V503 or something like that) and Yamaha 5 CD changer (both for $29.00). Then I hooked them all together and pressed play. WOW! Its way better sound than I ever expected! I can't believe my good fortune. Seriously fine sound to my simple ears and simple budget. Nice to catch a break for once, y'know?

I'm watching a Bruce Sprigsteen Concert right now and while I'm no audiophile, it sounds awesome to me. Especially for the garage sale prices I paid.

3 questions:

If it sounds OK the way it is, can I just go with 2 speakers and add more if I ever spot another garage sale bargain?

The TV and Receiver are hooked up with analog wires, but both have HDMI ports and/or digital SPDMI in/out ports. Is it worth it to go buy digital or HDMI cables to replace the analog wires? How much do those wires cost?

Birks,

First; Welcome too the madness guy!

Second; Congradulations on the great score! Those are great little speakers you got yourself, and at a super good deal.

Third; Your darn right it is OK to have just two speakers to start out with. There are alot of guys with alot of cash sunk in that would rather have two channel only. Myself, I like the surround sound experience BUT, I would rather have two good sounding speakers then 5, 6, 7, or 8 mediocre or crappy speakers. Save your money, and when you get enough, buy two more of the same. But I really must warn you, you really did get a great buy. Send us all some pictures when you get a chance. All of us here like pictures. There are several people hear that have bought 5 of the exact speakers you have for surround sound, even using one for their center channel, and they are pleased as punch. Please stay on the forum, get to know some of us. Learn more about this stuff we love, ask questions, no matter how simple and we'll try to help.

Enjoy your great find, I remember when I first heard Klipsch and it is a new level of clarity from what you probably have heard before.

Again, enjoy and welcome.... Roger

Wow great find on the heresys. You should post some pics of your setup. I dont believe that receiver has hdmi. Go to www.monoprice.com for all your wire needs (no affiliation) maybe pick up a optical to hook your tv to your receiver. If the cd changer has a digital coaxal or optical also use that. With all this being said your system could benefit from two things: adding a subwoofer, getting a more powerful receiver, those heresys can handle alot. Good luck and go listen to some music

Just to give you an idea of how clear and beautiful the sound is.....my big old Labrador was just intently watching Bruce Springsteen with me in HD with the Heresy's playing every note of his Harmonica like he was right there with us. My dog never paid attention to the television before. He was truly puzzled trying to understand what was real and what wasn't.

Oh man, did I get lucky. This is awesome. I feel rich.

Just to give you an idea of how clear and beautiful the sound is.....my big old Labrador was just intently watching Bruce Springsteen with me in HD with the Heresy's playing every note of his Harmonica like he was right there with us. My dog never paid attention to the television before. He was truly puzzled trying to understand what was real and what wasn't.

Oh man, did I get lucky. This is awesome. I feel rich.

Verry Cool...[Y][Y][Y] Roger[H]

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums! Very nice find indeed. You saved yourself a few hundred dollars at the cost you obtained them at.

As stated, be patient, enjoy what you have and if another deal comes along that allows you to pick up a center channel speaker, surround speakers or a sub, jump on it.

Definitely post some pics of them. We all love seeing other people's setups, no matter how big or small they might be. We just love audio.

I'll pay you $100 for the Heresy II's.

However, and I recently saw 2 really nice heavy speakers for sale for $45 dollars (both) at a company rummage sale. They were Klipsch Heresy II speakers, which I had no idea about, but they just looked and felt like they were worth $45 to me.

Welcome to the fun, but watch out for the bug!

amazing deal on the speakers! youth i think he just beat out you and falcon for awesome finds! lol

2 speakers is sometimes best. not because of the quality of them, but of the layout of the room. i recently set up a system for a friend. it was 2ea RB-61's, denon receiver and denon upconverting dvd. his living room didn't have a single good spot for surrounds, and odly enough, no room for a center channel. he also ended up buying my sub (eD A2-300). in his living room those two speakers sounded amazing. very nice sound and he couldn't be happier.

so yes, 2 speakers sometimes beats out 5,7,9, or what ever some people hook up. a hint, get some good 4N (99.99%) 12 awg copper wire and good hdmi cables. very cheap and helps the over all sound out. www.Monoprice.com this will be your next best frined when it comes to cables. my suggestion for your speaker wire. for what you have now, stick to the basics and only buy what you actually need. i always suggest banana plugs, monoprice has them for $1 or something like that. get any kind, they all work the same.

your part of an elite family now. ask a ton of questions, there is thousands of people here that are willing to help because this is what they love to do, including me!

congrats!

• Moderators

amazing deal on the speakers! youth i think he just beat out you and falcon for awesome finds! lol

Yes, it indeed is a sweet find but the key to maintaining the title isn't finding a good deal, but consistently finding good deals. For all we know, he'll be a "One Deal Wonder". [:P] [:D]

your part of an elite family now.

Wow...my self esteem just went up a few notches for sure. LOL

ask a ton of questions, there is thousands of people here that are willing to help because this is what they love to do, including me!

[Y]

Congrats to you and your sense of value!!

As has been said, you pretty much stole those speakers! (the sentence is usually a lifetime penalty of suffering from great sound [Y])

If 2-channel does it for you than game over, sit back & enjoy. Although I've got nine speakers ranging from a little smaller to a little larger than yours, I'm only using two of them as well.

The only 2-cents I might throw in would be the HT receiver. I've got an older Yamaha HT receiver (2070?? I forget). Anyways, I never did much care for the sound it had when I was listening to stereo. I much preferred my Yamaha CR-2040 to 'stereo' listening than I did using the HT unit. When I was using the HT unit for HT duty (it's been idle for 10 years) it of course, did that job better than the stereo receiver.

Today, I find using my 2-channel setup more than adequate for what I listen to. Yes, I'm planning on setting up my basement for HT use but, I will be sure to plumb a 2-ch preamp into the system as well so I will keep the option of a dedicated 2-ch system.

Upshot of this is.... you might find an increase in sound if you find a nice 2-ch receiver. Note that this does preclude you from using the HDMI ports so there might be trade offs to be made. Right now, I'm taking the HDMI from my Sat. receiver directly to my tv and taking the sound outputs directly to my stereo.

Oh, and pictures of you dancing in front of your system like this are forbidden! [<:o)]

post-15072-13819554414706_thumb.gif

post-15072-13819569829892_thumb.gif

I still have a better deal as my Heresy I's deal are $25! But his is pretty close.

Yes, it indeed is a sweet find but the key to maintaining the title isn't finding a good deal, but consistently finding good deals. For all we know, he'll be a "One Deal Wonder". Stick out tongueBig Smile

• Moderators

Welcome and that's a great way to start off. If you run across any old 2 ch receivers cheap try them out I think you would like the sound even more, if you run across one and you don't like it you could probably sell it for more on ebay.

i would have never belived it if i hadn't heard it myself. a vintage stero receiver kicks the butt out of (almost?) any new avr receiver in "stereo" mode. i went to Davis419's house and he has like a million of them. if i wasn't so cheap i would have bought one from him. the only problem with vintage receivers, you need a dedicated cd player. man those get expencive, well the good ones.

i am sure with the way you feel and look around you will see one. if you see a Sansui (if i spelled it right) pick it up! well as long as it works of course!

Recently I had my stuff torn apart adding and moving components- For a few days I was using a set of old cornwalls to get by hooked up as a 2 speaker setup. The TV sounded great!!!! 2 speakers will definitely get you by until the sickness sets in and you start spending your kids grocery money on audio stuff.

Needless to say you are gulity of unarmed robbery on your purchases.Nice score- Welcome

Thanks for all the nice replys. Here is a picture of the speakers I found. My local Ice arena was updating a bunch of things and they had a rummage sale. Needless to say, there isn't a whole lot of rummage sale traffic at an ice arena , so I was lucky to get the pick of the litter for a whopping $45.

Posted Image