Sweet Flea Market Find - US Army Oscilloscope!

Cornwalled

While browsing the flea market today, I had a really cool find- a 1967 US Army Oscilloscope! From first sight, I knew I had to have this thing, and for $40, figured I couldn't go wrong. It's quite the tank, really heavy and solid. I didn't dare plug it in, for fear of damaging something on account of bad capacitors, etc. Right now, I really don't have the money to get someone to repair it, so I'll have to just enjoy it for aesthetic pleasure. Still, I think it's a cool looking piece of gear, and hope to one day be able to use it.

What do you guys think?

post-6873-13819554607434_thumb.jpg

post-6873-13819569973792_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

[:|] Darn, I was expecting to see something 1/5 that size, I would think if nothing else you got your $40 in scrap iron as big as that thing is.

Go for it, plug it in [:o] but have a camera running as proof for the insurance company. [;)]

Might be too recent, but there may be vacuum tubes in there. I just harvested a handful of 12A*7s and 6DJ8s from an older oscilloscope. Heck, it might just work for its intended purpose!

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just took it apart today, and thought you guys might like to see the guts shots. It's quite impressive! I found out it was made in 1952. The sticker on the front with 1967 on it was the last calibration date. So, needless to say, it has tubes in it- lots of 'em, all JAN. Very nice wiring, all point to point, with neoprene insulation. Everything was totally pristine inside

I found it interesting that it has both tube and selenium rectifiers. What looks like banks of big buss fuses are actually small selenium rectifiers. It also has a large one next to the 5R4GY tube rectifier. A lot of massive filter caps.

All in all, it looks really well made, defintely shows how military standards were well above consumer standards. The transformers are huge. I love the USN boat anchor on the power transformer. Every cap, resistor, switch and tube was clearly labelled on the board. Such attention to detail is cool to see. It was amazing seeing almost 60 year old tubes with lettering on them that was pristine and bright. They all looked brand new! Anyway, hope you guys enjoy the pics as much as I enjoyed seeing the inside of this awesome vintage beast!

-Jon

post-6873-13819658570708_thumb.jpg