The Cornwall Vault's on the road again

wpines

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope people are following Coytee's suggestion to sign the vault with a good black marker, e.g. Sharpie. Name (forum and/or real), location and date would be great. It's too bad no one thought of it in the past. That large metal box on a pallet has been around and helped many.

I'll check and see what is on there as far as signatures go. The vault is in Minn. MN right now thanks to Ace168516. Hopefully it will be loaded up with my Cornies on Monday or Tuesday and sent to me in IN. After that, the vault will be put away until someone else needs it. I will post a reminder occasionally letting folks know it's whereabouts. Ooooh. Can't wait!

I'll check and see what is on there as far as signatures go. The vault is in Minn. MN right now thanks to Ace168516. Hopefully it will be loaded up with my Cornies on Monday or Tuesday and sent to me in IN. After that, the vault will be put away until someone else needs it. I will post a reminder occasionally letting folks know it's whereabouts. Ooooh. Can't wait!

We look forward to updates upon arrival. Your CWs should arrive in fine shape.

Perhaps a consolidated Cornwall vault thread can be created to explain the process, Forward Air, etc. and then be pinned below Hudson Valley Noah's thread about posting photos.

There are no signatures on the vault...unless someone at Forward Air is autographing it. The pallet should be trimmed back for future use, as FA caluclates rates on volume and weight. The pallet sticks out about 6 inches on both sides of the vault, so we are paying for a couple cubic ft of volume we do not need.

ACE

To my knowledge, the pallet is not part of the volume calculation. The extra six inches will keep the forklift from banging the "Vault" box. In everything I have ever shipped, the volume is calculated on what is ON the pallet, unless it is an oversized object requiring a special crating method. If it is a standard pallet, it should be left "AS IS".

Of course, I have never seen the "Vault" so I am only speaking from past shipping experience for everything from large speakers (MCM's), lighting equipment to generator/welder combinations and everything in between. We ship on a regular basis out of Charlotte, NC.

Maybe that is the way it is done on "Air Freight", I have never used that. On regular truck freight, the pallet size has never been mentioned or an issue as the volume (Shipping Deminsions) and weight have been the only criteria. They( Forward Aire) may use the pallet size to figure minimum weight as a standard pallet is 40" x 48" (US Grocery) and I think the minimum weight is around 200 KG's. So you pay for that even if it doesn't weigh that much. I'm sure that the footprint is much more critical on aircraft along with weight, as a determining factor. Most everything we ship and recieve freight wise is LTL anyway.

Sorry, did not mean to cause any confusion..............

Cornwall vault is no longer on the road. It arrived at Forward Air by the Cincinati Airport which is in Kentucky, which is just across the river from where I live in Indiana. I picked it up this morning and Cornwalls arrived safe and sound. Snapped a few pics, but then camera battery died. It's recharging now and I will try and post some pics in the next couple days. I have it stored away in a little used shed awaiting the call for it's next journey.

Here is a pic of the vault while being brought to the truck at Forward Air. A few dings in it, but most appear to be done before the large pallet was added to the bottom. I only seem to be able to add 1 pic per message so a couple more to follow. I forgot to take any while they were still in the vault though.

post-53962-13819686169892_thumb.jpg

You need to resize them down to below 250K in size. You can easily do this in Windows Paint - Select Image in the top tool bar and then select Stretch/Slew and change the percentages (BOTH). I usually use 40% for a ten megapixel picture, then save it...works every time YMMV....... You can rename the picture by selecting "Save As", that way you will retain the original.

Hope this helps,

W. C.

And another for scale.

There was some veneer that was coming loose on the upper right hand corner. Glue took care of that and it pretty much disappeared. They have some bangs and bruises on the edges, but have some upgrades. I may attempt to repair some of the dings and see how they look, but am leaning more towards covering them with new veneer. I'd like to veneer the baffle similar to my old speakers, but is the baffle on the Cornwall removable?

post-53962-13819686211026_thumb.jpg

And lastly, a pic of the inside of the vault. Showing some wear, but still ready for another shipment. Oh, my two helpers are there too. My father (with no head) and my fearless dog TJ. Standing it up on end made for the easiest way to get the speakers out safely. I took a picture of the vault safely tucked away in my shed, but for some reason I can't find it.

I have the Cornwalls on some 8" risers that were necessary to get one of them up above the edge of my hearth. May get a pic of them in place up later.

post-53962-1381968621459_thumb.jpg