Got Footfalls?

thebes

Passing semis, garage trucks, kids jumping rope? Live near an airport, got a guy next door snores like a freight train? Heck, got a railroad marshaling yard nearby? Got a stereo needle doing the Coocharacha? Bouncing up and down on the platter like a Mexican jumping bean?

What you need is a little mass. No I'm not talking about saving your soul here, just keeping vibrations from you turntable.

Lots of ways to do that, of course, but here's another one. Hop in your car, head on down to the local Home Despot, grab a cart and aim it towards the gardening section. In there you will find 16 inch square, concrete pavers for the enormous price of $4, that's four, bills. Weight? A glorious 37 pounds. Put it in the cart, remembering to keep you back straight and don't bend the knees, and haul it on home.

Now you've got a choice, just plop it under the TT (cardboard underneath so no starching the little lady's Louis the 19th frenchie table. Since concrete is porous, this might absorb errant vibrations form the table itself. Or go my route and slap a few coats of paint on top, and see what happens.

My initial impression is that it has added

Gravitas

to the music.

Wagner's much more depressing and I like it that way.

post-14801-1381955479311_thumb.jpg

post-14801-13819570121842_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys.

I'm really impressed with how cheap you can buy some serious isolation Four bucks for 37 lbs. is gotta be the greatest price to benefit ratio in audiophile history.

Now I'm not claiming sonic improvement for this item, simply a way to isolate a component on the cheap. However, on my TT it did have the added benefit of deepening the bass, but that's due to the quirks of my setup which includes such things as wine bungs for feet.

That's a nice budget tip but if you are like me, more money than brains, I use a 4 X 18 X 24 granite surface table. Right around 200 pounds. Works pretty good and no one is ever going to steal it. At least not without a fork lift.

Thanx, Russ

I'm off to home depot and gonna' get me about 10 of them, paint them real good like and advertise them as audiophile TT dampeners!!! Lemm' see here, what with a nice paint job to fill in the pores, couple rubber $1.09 feets front and back, I should get at least $175 each in certain circles out there.

But, alas!!! Thebes has done beat me to it!!! Will it ever end, a day late and ........ $4 short? LOLOL!!! [H]

I'm off to home depot and gonna' get me about 10 of them, paint them real good like and advertise them as audiophile TT dampeners!!! Lemm' see here, what with a nice paint job to fill in the pores, couple rubber $1.09 feets front and back, I should get at least $175 each in certain circles out there.

But, alas!!! Thebes has done beat me to it!!! Will it ever end, a day late and ........ $4 short? LOLOL!!! Cool

You can always claim you use a special paint mixture that is designed to soak in to the pourous material in such a way that increases the ability to dampen vibration unlike competitor products.

Ah, Herr Kaiser beat me to this idea. The bottom plate in his picture is that exact same paver.

JL the console is a German made Grundig stereo that I'm pretty sure was NOT an export model, but actually sold in Germany and probably shipped home by a military family. Cost me $10 and a broken back to haul it home. In addition to the short wave it has a turntable and reel-to-reel. It operates, but really needs a recap and overhaul, so I seldom turn it on. Don't want to let the magic smoke out.

Just think Russ, you could have stacked 5 of these pavers for the amazing sum of $20.

Seti and Groom, I guess the real audiophile question is, is it better to fill in those tiny holes with paint, to aid in dampening, or would it be better to leave the holes open to absorb rumble and other bad vibrations from the turntable. I envision a lively debate will ensue when the Thebes-O-Hernia-Magic Pavers hit the marketplace.