ZU 103 cartridge

winchester21

looking for one of these - seems like a lot of above retail offers out there Are there different levels? Which one to buy? I am buy this on the reccomendations of forum buddys- a plan that has worked to pefection so far. If not the ZU which 103??? From which source?? website says sold out til summer 2010.

Willbe mounted on TD 125 with SME unmodded 3009 tonearm- VRDs - Peach- PS audip preamp.

thanks as always-I love my 2 ch setup- thanks to you guys[:D].

I started with a 103, then went to a 103R, then sent the 103 to Zu, and then sent the 103R to Zu. As I went from one to the next the sound got better. No question about it. The Zu 103R is the bomb! It is a very lush cartridge with great detail and clarity. Very dynamic with a huge soundstage. Great mids, but still a nice tight bottom end. And best of all it is a perfect match for that SME arm. With the VRD's and BBX it is a match made in heaven. Ask me how I know. [:D]

Mike

$160 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Denon-DL-103-Phono-Cartridge_W0QQitemZ220570787571QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335b0b1ef3

I see the 103R is $380 now. I think I paid about $275 for mine and then sent it Zu, where they modded it for $200 more. Looks like it's a lot more expensive now. Still probably the best cartridge on the planet for under a grand. Thebes is using my Zu 103 at the moment. Maybe you can talk him into sending it to you. [:D]

Mike

I started with a 103, then went to a 103R, then sent the 103 to Zu, and then sent the 103R to Zu. As I went from one to the next the sound got better. No question about it. The Zu 103R is the bomb! It is a very lush cartridge with great detail and clarity. Very dynamic with a huge soundstage. Great mids, but still a nice tight bottom end. And best of all it is a perfect match for that SME arm. With the VRD's and BBX it is a match made in heaven. Ask me how I know. Big Smile

Mike

Very cool. Thanks for the insight. I'm just starting to experiment with cartridges. I'm trying some of the budget carts first. I've got the Ortofon 2m blue now. Next I'll try the Denon DL-110 and Denon 103.

I would probably buy this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DENON-DL-103R-MC-CARTRIDGE-STYLUS-DL-103-R-DL103R-NEW_W0QQitemZ360218036636QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53deab099c

And then send it to Zu and pay them $200

http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=18&product_id=61

Big difference between the 103 and 103R. They are both great cartridges but the 103R just does everything better. The Zu treatment on top of that just puts it into another league altogether.

Mike

I would probably buy this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DENON-DL-103R-MC-CARTRIDGE-STYLUS-DL-103-R-DL103R-NEW_W0QQitemZ360218036636QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53deab099c

And then send it to Zu and pay them $200

http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=18&product_id=61

Big difference between the 103 and 103R. They are both great cartridges but the 103R just does everything better. The Zu treatment on top of that just puts it into another league altogether.

Mike

What exactly do they do to the Zu cartridge?

I replaced my 103 with a zu 103R (had the upgrade bug[;)]). An improvement for sure but a heck of a lot more money. I know they are different animals but I was quite impressed with what I heard from the 103 over my Dynavector 20x. Hard to beat the 103 for the money.

My 103 is just sitting idle it probably has less then 200 hours on it. Perfect condition. If anybody wants it make me a fair offer, as I need to clean out some items to show some good will to my wife, I'd be happy to sell it. As Mike said you can send it to Zu to be converted.

Mike was it the standard zu 103 (not the R) you brought to my house when Larry, Marty and Gary were over? If so then I have heard them all. I do remember us all saying Mikes cart. was an improvement over my standard 103. It was a limited session with Mike's but I remember liking it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 103s Zu or non-zu R or non-R.

Not sure if this helps you our muddies the water as to which to get.[:$]

I think Mark's on the money as a far as the major tweak. I like the one Mike gave me. It's has a more lush sound than the Ortofon OM 30's and 40's I was using. But I also think that part of the difference is caused by increased gain when using MC's over MM's. I could be wrong of, course, and frequently am.

My biggest complaint over the Zu's is the cheap bastard's simply refuse to change their engineering and put a stylus protector on the aluminum body. Many people, including myself have broken the stylus when installing. It's criminal neglect in my mind, and for that reason, should finances improve, I would not upgrade to their 103R.

My biggest complaint over the Zu's is the cheap ***'s simply refuse to change their engineering and put a stylus protector on the aluminum body. Many people, including myself have broken the stylus when installing. It's criminal neglect in my mind, and for that reason, should finances improve, I would not upgrade to their 103R.

I agree. Even the lowly Denon DL-110 has a stylus guard. Interesting the cheaper model has a stylus protector and the more expensive doesn't. Hmmm.

My biggest complaint over the Zu's is the cheap ***'s simply refuse to change their engineering and put a stylus protector on the aluminum body. Many people, including myself have broken the stylus when installing. It's criminal neglect in my mind, and for that reason, should finances improve, I would not upgrade to their 103R.

I agree. Even the lowly Denon DL-110 has a stylus guard. Interesting the cheaper model has a stylus protector and the more expensive doesn't. Hmmm.

The 103 has a stylus guard as well. It's when Zu puts the aluminum body on it that increases the size by just enough to not allow it to fit. They need to manufacture one if they are changing the size of the body.

Mike

The 103 has a stylus guard as well. It's when Zu puts the aluminum body on it that increases the size by just enough to not allow it to fit. They need to manufacture one if they are changing the size of the body.

Mike

I've never seen a single pic of a stylus guard on a 103. That is one reason I didn't want one. The way I treat carts a stylus has to have a guard. The guard on my Ortofon 2m is a PITA and it might as well not even be there. I really like the one on the DL-110.

looking for one of these - seems like a lot of above retail offers out there Are there different levels? Which one to buy? I am buy this on the reccomendations of forum buddys- a plan that has worked to pefection so far. If not the ZU which 103??? From which source?? website says sold out til summer 2010.

Willbe mounted on TD 125 with SME unmodded 3009 tonearm- VRDs - Peach- PS audip preamp.

thanks as always-I love my 2 ch setup- thanks to you guysBig Smile.

Which version of the 3009 tone arm do you have? If you have the S2 with the fixed headshell and screw on counter weight, then this is not the cart for you. It is too heavy. If you have the earlier version with a removable headshell and split counter weight then you will be fine. Not all SME 3009's are same. BTW I run a ZU103 With an early SME 3009 on my Thorens TD124 and it's a great combo.

Jeremy

My SME has the removable shell which I am replacing with another shell without the resonance issues per my tech. I am taking the plunge and buying a 103r at midnight when funds from a sale are transfered into my account. I will but the PS audio pre tomorrow. After the 103 r is sent off for ZU mods I may be able to listen to some vinyl.

Thanks once again for good advice that makes me feel soooo much better about spending ridiculious sums of money on this addiction.