SET 45 Amps

jcmusic

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that you don't need to spend a lot or be an EE or even own an oscilloscope to build these simple circuits. There is extensive info on the web and numerous people who have pursued this. These amps work well and one does not necessarily need to go down the path of obsessive audiophile self ambushing. Just build one.

Here is a starting point. Further onlne research will reveal the large club of folks who have done these or similar.

http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/simple45.htm
http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/se300b.htm
http://www10.brinkster.com/azcruz/JE_300BDX.html

-Planner Chip Odds

Absolutely, That's basically that's what I did as pictured in my avatar with an 811-10 for 10 watts of Class A2 with all my own metal work with simple hand tools, later I expanded successfully with a C4S current source for my driver stage, Anode Choke for the Cathode driver stage and a grid choke for 811-10 grid input and a massive isolated 1920uf supply/mono-block for some very powerful transparent amplifiers.

Although I do posse electronics knowledge one can indeed build these simple circuits before going further as I have.

SET12

Mike, thanks for the encouragement. I think I will use a breadboard approach for the next project utilizing the more economical 46 tube. And, I should buy some probes for that Oscilloscope sitting on my kitchen table and learn how to use it.

I think I have stockpiled some of those James Xfrmrs too.

Is that an Oscar Peterson LP I see in your photo?

-Land Ciphers Pond

Oscar Peterson/Milt Jackson-"Two of the Few"

The data for 46 set-up as class A1 shows the screen tied to the plate at the socket. Seems quite similar to a 45. And like you point out...cheaper...hmmm.

LMAO! [:D]

My point is that you don't need to spend a lot or be an EE or even own an oscilloscope to build these simple circuits.

This is completely true. I've heard Capped and Spotted's basement-brew amps, largely built with hammers, chisels, folding rulers, and arc welders, and they sound great! Just like real amps! I must admit I was a tad skeptical at first, but they all worked and sounded marvy. And, as far as I recall, the oscilloscope was only used to prop up one short leg of the work table.

That cool picture I took so completely captures the essence of Crowned and Squared's industrial antiquities warehouse, smokehouse and barn, that it has become one of my all-time favorites.

Mike, you should apply for a tour when you come out next month...

Is he, are you, coming to the left coast? Yah, take the tour, we can all go out to the local recycletown and look for discarded industrial dusty vacuum tube laden whatchamacallits.

-Sand Children Pop (just rearrange the letters and you get "Clipped and Shorn" .....)

I was just showing off, eg. "I can name that album in one pixel..... sort of thing", those black and white covers are a giveaway....

-Dona Schlepp Rind

ps, our friend Bob Lee turned me onto the 46 thing.

Mike, thanks for the encouragement. I think I will use a breadboard approach for the next project utilizing the more economical 46 tube. And, I should buy some probes for that Oscilloscope sitting on my kitchen table and learn how to use it.

I think I have stockpiled some of those James Xfrmrs too.

Is that an Oscar Peterson LP I see in your photo?

-Land Ciphers Pond

Oscar Peterson/Milt Jackson-"Two of the Few"

The data for 46 set-up as class A1 shows the screen tied to the plate at the socket. Seems quite similar to a 45. And like you point out...cheaper...hmmm.

I guess that comment went over my head.

Is he, are you, coming to the left coast? Yah, take the tour, we can all go out to the local recycletown and look for discarded industrial dusty vacuum tube laden whatchamacallits.

We best get Sheltie Dave in on it then. Abandoned homes in Cheney are a great source of tubes... ; )

Here's the latest pinch from fairchild:

post-6643-13819583153314_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't try taking those scary looking Fairchild pinches on a plane with that lighter as depicted. That is a lot of microfarads, and we all know that is a code word for Mike Farad which is a doctored up version of the name W. Farad Muhammad. You have to think of everything these days.

-Pardon Child Pens

I guess that comment went over my head.

We best get Sheltie Dave in on it then. Abandoned homes in Cheney are a great source of tubes... ; )

Here's the latest pinch from fairchild:

I wouldn't try taking those scary looking Fairchild pinches on a plane with that lighter as depicted. That is a lot of microfarads, and we all know that is a code word for Mike Farad which is a doctored up version of the name W. Farad Muhammad. You have to think of everything these days.

-Pardon Child Pens

I'll keep that in mind on my next international flight.

W. Farad Muhammad...that would make a pretty good screen name. But I've already taken a shine to Krusty Glaze...

• 4 weeks later...

Well now back to the subject of the original post!!! I got a JK 45 amp big thanks to (Mike L)!!! I have spent the last three days with this amp and will need a little more time with it. So far my findings are this amp sounds absolutlely awesome!!! It has cleaner, clearer, sharper, overall better bass than my 300B; also the highs are more extended. The mid is more relaxed not as lush as the 300B but, more to the point. This amp is spooky good I need more time to access the finer things but, I am really really enjoying what I am hearing now. More to follow later!!!

Jay

Well now back to the subject of the original post!!! I got a JK 45 amp big thanks to (Mike L)!!! I have spent the last three days with this amp and will need a little more time with it. So far my findings are this amp sounds absolutlely awesome!!! It has cleaner, clearer, sharper, overall better bass than my 300B; also the highs are more extended. The mid is more relaxed not as lush as the 300B but, more to the point. This amp is spooky good I need more time to access the finer things but, I am really really enjoying what I am hearing now. More to follow later!!!

Jay

The 45 Amp is my amp of choice also. Very, spooky real on a Solo Female Vocal. -- It's like she's in the room. I listen almost exclusively to Jazz. The 45 Amp is the perfect amp for Jazz. Not too many instruments. Plenty of air around each note.

The 45 is not for everyone. If you listen at volumes of the High 80 dbs with peaks in the low 90's, you will probably like it. If like to rock the walls, it will be clipping instantly.

Well Cut-Throat to be honest with you I probably listen at between 85-95db most of the time, and at that volume the 45 has no problem in my system. I do have the 2in driver and horn setup so it may be easier to get there for me. I am really enjoying it so far. Gonna roll some tubes today and see what happends.

Jay