Tube Behringer DCX-2496

Guest David H

Guest David H

then again the improvements may be psycological. I love tubes.

and what's wrong with that? In the end, your enjoyment is all that matters. Heck, I don't even understand exactly what you're doing, but I think the tubes sticking out look cool.Yes

Nothing wrong with that... I also orderes a set of tube protectors for the unit.

Here are some more pics.

post-24405-13819556118256_thumb.jpg

post-24405-1381958293429_thumb.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

Back pannel pics, it's hard to see, but I installed 100k resistors on the output of each output stage, so if this unit is used 2-way the unused gain stage would not see an open circuit.

post-24405-13819556120916_thumb.jpg

post-24405-1381958293628_thumb.jpg

This is one of the coolest mods I've ever seen. I'd like to know a little more about it if you'd explain. I have a DCX2496. Can you explain a little about what you've done? How it operates any differently? I see 3 tubes. The DCX2496 has 6 outputs. Is half of each tube driving an individual channel? Is the tube kit you bought designed for this application or did you just come up with an idea and try to pick out a tube kit? I like the output mods because one of the biggest challenges is interfacing pro and home audio equipment and getting that right. Again........very nice!!

Guest David H

I see 3 tubes. The DCX2496 has 6 outputs. Is half of each tube driving an individual channel?

Thats correct.

Is the tube kit you bought designed for this application or did you just come up with an idea and try to pick out a tube kit?

This kit is designed for this application. Here is the link. http://www.decware.com/newsite/zkit4.htm

I like the output mods because one of the biggest challenges is interfacing pro and home audio equipment and getting that right

I agree, I have been using the capacitive output mod and although much better sounding than stock, I was constantly running my Behringer into clipping before my amps ran out of steam. Now, I can easily drive my amps to full output without clipping the Behringer.

I am pleased you like the mod.

Dave.

Guest David H

I thought about that, Par metal products makes aluminum enclosures perfct for that application, and the Behringer has avery good quality internal DAC.

Guest David H

I didn't take any pics of the power supply, but Decware has the schematic and a picture of the individual power supplies they sell for the buffers, I simply build a higher current ps to power all 3 gain stages instead of using individuals.

Dave.

Dave,

What you have done is exactly what I have been wanting to do with the computer media players I've been building. The DACs on sound cards are getting very good but have poor output. Would love to stick a tubed line stage in there.

Computers are a DC power but already know how to incorporate AC power as I've built tricked out computers for years.....

You have done some cool stuff for sure...

Remind me....that mod bypasses the op amps right?

jc

Guest David H

The price is certainly good. Do you know what the output impedance of each channel would happen to be?

Bruce

I believe it to be 100k, I would have to ask Steve Deckert.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David H

I got thre tube protectors installed, next I may transplant the torroidal transformer and power supply power supply board to the top cover as well using a pair of torroidal transformer cover to keep it neat.

post-24405-13819583439352_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

How many times have you heard, What is that?

Actually not much, I am kind of a hermit. Few people have seen or heard my gear.

I guess I don't play well with others.

Dave.