Cartridge recommendations for a TD124

ilsinc

Hi all,

I'm brand new to this passion and am putting together a vintage system based on recommendations from members.

So far I have K-horns, MC240, MX110, TD 124 with a Jelco SA-750 L tonearm (12"). Admittedly not vintage but what came with the TT.

So my question is what cartridge? The TT seller suggested possibly a Denon 103 but recommended getting input from other members.

As far as budget, I guess what ever it takes to match the system, not really wanting to go too far over the point of diminishing returns.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

This could get really good unless you put up a max. dollar amount...

Others have suggested in the past the ZU/DL-103 and ZU/DL-103R

From what I know about them, you can either purchase the cart from them with the mod already done or send in your cart and they will mod it. They also do them in runs so you might want to contact them to find out when the next one will be.

James

I have a ZU 103R on my 124/SME 3009 and it sounds wonderful. You can try the 103 without the ZU mods first to see if it suits you. They're very inexpensive.

FYI: The 103 is a low output moving coil and you will need a step-up assuming you don't already have one. I used to own an MX110 but can't remember if it had that option. Probably not considering the age of the unit.

I am in the process of setting up my TD124 and I can tell you the short list I have...actually all of these are currently in the box waiting for me to set up the rig. I have a SME3012 arm and have a Ortofon SPU cartridge and a DL103r with wood body. I also, by mistake, bought a SME3009 improved arm but decided to use it with a Ortofon 2M black cartridge.

While I can't tell you which will be the best choice I can tell you I think any of these three would be a good possibiity.

I initially had my 124 set up in a mono only system using a Ortofon Mono SPU and it was a fantastic match. The 124 and the SPUs were made for each other and they have built-in step up transformers in the headshell. I only swapped it for the 103R because I couldn't live without my stereo LPs once I moved the table to my beach house.

I can tell you first hand that Charles gave you excellent suggestions!

Eric bought the 124 from me. Like Gary i had a MX110 at one time but couldnt tell him what a good cartridge would be because i was using a different phono stage. I really am not sure what a good match for the Mac vintage preamp-tuner would be. I encouraged him to ask the folks here!

Josh

Personally, I think the 103 (or some variation) would do a nice job with your 240 and 110 (I used that exact Mac combo for a while). The Macs provide a very lush sound and I think the detail from the 103 would compliment them nicely. I would start with the 103 (without the Zu Mods) or 103R.

And yes, that is a nice starter system.[Y]

Wow! I've been at this for 40 years and I am just getting to where you are. Nice![Y]

I have two TD-124's that have SME 3009 Series II Unimproved arms (a long story). The MX110 does not have a phono stage that accomodates a low output moving coil, so I checked with Frank Gow at Audio Classics and he recommended the Dynavector DV20XH. Frank is the son of Gordon Gow of McIntosh fame. His number is 607-766-3501. He is a great source for bulbs for the MX110 too!

It is a high output moving coil and for the money it sounds wonderful, a very nice match for the MX110's phono stage. I would like to get an Ortofon SPU for my other table, but they cost about a grand and need a phono amp so that is something I am putting off for now. I strongly recommend the Dynavector!

How do you like the K-horns powered by the MC240? I recently built a pair of Cornscalas and run them with an MC275 MkIV. I have heard that lower wattage Mac amps sound great with Klipsch heritage speakers. I originally wanted to use either the MC 225 of MC240 with my Corncalas but came across a great deal on the MC275.

Good luck with your search. Have fun!

Herb

I have had quite a few cartridges, tonearms and phone stages hooked up to my td 124. I think the best value to try first is the denon 103. I have the zu 103 and it still in my top three carts. It is currently mounted on a ortofon as309s tone arm. I also really liked the ortofon M2 series on an sme 3009 arm, an old ortofon SPU classic on a RMG arm, and a benz micro ace on a moded rega 300 arm.

I am also currently playing with a pure vinyl computer software driven phono stage through a apogee duet. I have only tried for a couple of days and I have alot to learn but it sounds impressive so far.

You will find a ton of information at the Vinyl Engine. As has been pointed out countless times, you need to match a cartridge to the arm, not the turntable. Not to say the turntable doesn't play into it all, but it's almost incidental to the arm/cartridge synergy. At the Vinyl Engine you will be able to use their tonearm and cartridge databases to find acceptable matches.

Dont expect to get a ZU modded 103/103r anytime soon. Some @ss at ZU quoted me a 3-5 business day turnaround using my cartridge. Based on this I purchased a new 103-R. I called back for shipping instructions and was informed that they were out of parts- HAD BEEN FOR 6 MONTHS!!!!! no mods until the "fall of 2010" whatever thr &^^% that means. Others on AG have said that I would be lucky to see anything before the second quarter of 2011. Consider this situation when making your choice. Am i angry? Just a little.

Get a Uwe wood body and do it yourself. I couldn't tell any difference between my Zu and my diy one. I potted mine with epoxy putty which brought it up to the ZU.

Dont expect to get a ZU modded 103/103r anytime soon. Some @ss at ZU quoted me a 3-5 business day turnaround using my cartridge. Based on this I purchased a new 103-R. I called back for shipping instructions and was informed that they were out of parts- HAD BEEN FOR 6 MONTHS!!!!! no mods until the "fall of 2010" whatever thr &^^% that means. Others on AG have said that I would be lucky to see anything before the second quarter of 2011. Consider this situation when making your choice. Am i angry? Just a little.

Thanks Herb for the cartridge recommendation. I'll check into it. Congratulations on taking on that Cornscala project. That must have been a labor of love.

I've been assembling this system but haven't yet hooked anything up. I'm wanting to rebuild or replace the crossovers on the K-horns and am going to send the MX110 and MC240 to Terry DeWick to check over and he's about 45 days out.

Speaking of tonearms, are 12" tonearms much better than 9" everything else being equal? And why can't I find a bigger plinth for a 12" tonearm so the tonearm board isn't sticking out into space?

My 12 inch sticks out into space (set up, I know). I put it on the left side of my rack to protect it. I have a larger plinth and a dust cover on my to do list. I envy your khorns. I wish I had good corners for them. I think the thorens, mcintosh, klipsch combination is hard to beat.

Thanks Herb for the cartridge recommendation. I'll check into it. Congratulations on taking on that Cornscala project. That must have been a labor of love. I've been assembling this system but haven't yet hooked anything up. I'm wanting to rebuild or replace the crossovers on the K-horns and am going to send the MX110 and MC240 to Terry DeWick to check over and he's about 45 days out.

I sent my MX110 to him and he really did a great job! He replaced about 25 caps and resistors and that really cleaned up the sound. I think the combo of the MX110 and MC240 is a winner. He is worth the wait!

Herb

Speaking of tonearms, are 12" tonearms much better than 9" everything else being equal? And why can't I find a bigger plinth for a 12" tonearm so the tonearm board isn't sticking out into space?

My 12 inch sticks out into space (set up, I know). I put it on the left side of my rack to protect it. I have a larger plinth and a dust cover on my to do list. I envy your khorns. I wish I had good corners for them. I think the thorens, mcintosh, klipsch combination is hard to beat.

Hey Pete!

I see you run a MC2105 along with the tube monoblocks. Are you bi-amping the woofers with the 2105 on the Cornscalas?

Herb