I may be going two way! :-)

Rudy81

I have been waiting for the P. Audio PH-4525 horns to arrive and the UPS man dropped them off finally. After Chris, Cask05, did some testing on the K69 and the 4525 horn I decided to jump in. Of course I don't have access to the venerable K69, but I picked up a pair of P. Audio BM-D750's for the project.

Sadly I won't have time to work on testing this combination this week, but next week I plan on comparing that as a two way setup vs. my current Khorn three way with the ALK Trachorn, JBL 2470s and the APT 150 tweeter. If the tests are satisfactory and I end up going two way I'm going to have a parts garage sale.

Chris, does this look familiar?

post-10337-13819583329348_thumb.jpg

I did hook them up for about 5 minutes and ran them from 450Hz to 20kHz, no EQ. I just had time to listen to two songs and thus far I like what I heard. What this did show me is how nice it is to have an active crossover.

post-10337-13819583330258_thumb.jpg

Chris, does this look familiar?

Yes - and I plan to do some more outside testing this weekend if the weather cooperates. I plan to use the same thing with center Heresy (woofer only) and Dx38as an active crossover. It should be able to stand alone a lot better with some help from the horn subs using the other channel of the Dx38 to drive into the other channel of "Bridge Subs" mode of the XTi-1000.

Chris

Chris, it will be interesting to see where you end up adding EQ vs. what I find. I would think the K69 P. Audio horn combination will certainly add more 'life' and better timbre match your monster mains. Keep me informed please.

Have you thought about staying 3-way and moving the tweeter higher?

Yes, and it certainly is an option. However, my goal is to be able to go two way if the P. Audio driver can cover the range. From what I learned by going active and driver aligning the Khorn, fewer drivers is fewer problems.

i have been saving for the alk trachorns, but wonder how this 2" horn/driver combo would sound in a 3 way arrangment with my crites tweeter and alk universal crossover? looks like it could be a potential to step up to a 2" driver for those on a budget like myself

...wonder how this 2" horn/driver combo would sound in a 3 way arrangement with my crites tweeter and alk universal crossover? looks like it could be a potential to step up to a 2" driver for those on a budget like myself

If you bi-amp using an active crossover (like the Behringer DCX-2496 or the EV DC-One) then I think you will be impressed. You will very likely not need your Crites tweeter with an active setup.

However, if you mono-amp using your ALK passive crossover then you will need to be able to attenuate the the P.Audio BM-D750 driver/PH-4525 horn relative to your bass bin, and your tweeter relative to the P.Audio horn/driver. I would assume that Al K. can help you on modifying your passive/balancing network for that.

I think you will be more than impressed by the difference in sound (...in my humble opinion...).

Chris

Did anyone ever pick up the Goldwood horns from PartsExpress?

I am wondering if the P-Audio and the Goldwood horns are the same (or clones).

Could someone take a picture of the throat of the P-Audio PH-4525. I'd like to compare it to the Goldwood 450's I have. It might be a savings of 50%+ for anyone looking for an change.

Did anyone ever pick up the Goldwood horns from PartsExpress?

I am wondering if the P-Audio and the Goldwood horns are the same (or clones).

Could someone take a picture of the throat of the P-Audio PH-4525. I'd like to compare it to the Goldwood 450's I have. It might be a savings of 50%+ for anyone looking for an change.

I can't get a picture to you before Sunday. If Chris can't get it to you, I will post one on Sunday.

That's funny, the Goldwood even has that molding seam on the back of the horn, same as the PH-4525

I looked at the pictures on Partsexpress and it sure looks similar. I picked up my P. Audio horns for $85 each so didn't pay as much as US Speaker charges. My gut instinct is that only instrument measurements might show a difference. If you compare them both, let us know.

What this did show me is how nice it is to have an active crossover.

Yes

I call that "smiling & dialing" as you make your swap and simply dial in your changes without having to reconfigure a passive.

Wouldn't that be Dialing then Smiling????[^o)] LOL

I have a pair of them on my La scalas.I also set the crossovers for 2 or 3 way use.

kg4guy,

can you share more about what crossover you are using with your setup you have pictured? and its the k69 driver you are using with these horns? i am wanting to do a similar setup with a khorn bass bins and my crites tweeter. lastly, how does it sound to you (in 2 way and also in 3way) vs say a k400 with k/55 driver? thanks for any input you can provide, im up in the air on investing in the alk trachorns with k55s or investing in a pair of these 2" horns and k69s.