PRODUCT ALERT!! OPPO BDP-83 -- Awsome Blueray & SACD

Gilbert

Old news, Gil, but always good to hear again. Unless your are connecting via analog you may not hear a difference for the extra bucks for the SE. I've not had the spare change to get a BDP, but I find my OPPO equal (to my deaf ears at least) to any DVD(A)/SACD/CD player at any price.

Whilst I suppose it's a bit OT in the 2 channel forum, I am really looking forward to the finest material in BluRay. The great high contrast film noire classics properly transferred should be stunning. I suppose I shouldn't be shocked, but the HT mags seem to spend all their time on Avatar and such (though the April edition mentioned a BR "African Queen" they liked) and rarely get into old classics. "Citizen Kane" and many others should be really great.

Dave

The great high contrast film noire classics properly transferred should be stunning.

They look great through a carbon arc projection lamp... Newer projectors aren't nearly as impressive.

btw, my fiancee has an oppo mp3 player. You can't buy them here and they don't show up on their web site. It is legit, even though she picked it up in China, and that is the downside. NO English user manual is available. We set the menus to English, but a manual would be nice on occasion.

Bruce

They look great through a carbon arc projection lamp... Newer projectors aren't nearly as impressive.

Yezzir, and on a real SILVER screen, not white. Much greater dynamic range.

However, BluRay with an OLED screen should get pretty close, plus lose the judder.

Dave

Whilst I suppose it's a bit OT in the 2 channel forum, I am really looking forward to the finest material in BluRay. The great high contrast film noire classics properly transferred should be stunning. I suppose I shouldn't be shocked, but the HT mags seem to spend all their time on Avatar and such (though the April edition mentioned a BR "African Queen" they liked) and rarely get into old classics. "Citizen Kane" and many others should be really great.

Dave

We've got Casablanca in the HD format (either Blueray or HDDVD, I forget). The transfer is exceptional.

However, BluRay with an OLED screen should get pretty close, plus lose the judder.

BluRay on a KURO's not too shabby eitherWink

A friend of mine has a KURO and EVERYTHING (HD) is just amazing! Blurays/1080p, WOW is an understatement! [Y]

Dennie

On the OLED I am thinking perhaps five years or so when they are about as thick as poster board and cheap as dirt, which, at least in theory, they will become.One of the OLED researchers a few years ago prophesied that when children watch TV over their morning cereal in 2015, they'd be watching the back of the cereal box.

Not sure about that, but OLED technology gets pretty close to invisible and ubiquitous technology.

Dave

Did NO ONE notice that he said the SE version. So not too "Old News"

Good to see you went with the SE after posting a few weeks back. I would love to give the SE a try, I've thought about sending it in for the upgrade but feel the funds could serve better purposes else where for the time being.

Did NO ONE notice that he said the SE version. So not too "Old News"

Unless I am remembering incorrectly, the SE has been out at least six months, downright ancient in technology terms.

Anyway, Gil can take it...trust me on that.

Dave

Unless I am remembering incorrectly, the SE has been out at least six months, downright ancient in technology terms.

I wouldn't say that. It's one of the only players of any sort that currently uses 32 bit DACs, so it's a bit ahead in terms of technology. Soon the hi end will catch up, but they're currently refining their versions of the 32 bit DACs. Same old story; the Asian market develops new technology, then the hi end European and American companies refine that technology and charge plenty for it.

Not what I meant, boss. What I meant was that some of us were on the OPPO BDP-83 news list this time last year and knew about the SE before it hit the market. I did not mean to imply that it was in any way less than state of the art.

It remains state of the art, if you include cost/performance...and I do.

Dave