Speaker placement

Been experimenting a bit with my set up and I find the further I move away from th rear wall the deeper the soundstage. What are some of your findings. (of course this doesn't include k-horns). Joe

Sorry for the question, but are you referring to moving your listening position forward, or your speakers out into the room--away from the front wall?

Either way and in general: as you move closer to the center between your stereo speakers until you reach the point that your drivers no longer integrate the sound as one source, or the polar response of the horns/drivers fall off because of the off-axis angles, the better the imaging will be. Basically, that's point #6 in PWK's Eight Cardinal Rules of Sound reproduction.

Also, as you move away from the back wall--the less you will hear "room gain" modes and the better the balance to the overall sound will be, until you find yourself standing in the middle of the room where the room modes are at a minimum (and your lf response is at a minimum).

Chris [8-|]

I'm talking about moving the speaker further away from the wall behind them of course this results in adjusting your listening posistion as well (in order to keep the triangle th same). I know the procedure routinely used to get a nice wide soundstage although I don't use it all that much to hard to move my 300 plus pounds of speakers alone and in my experience this takes a couple days ( I can't impose on anyone to help for more than an hour or so). Joe

I bought edgarhorn titans and am using those currently. I am getting a siesmic sub as well which is what prompted me to move the titans further into the room (need room for the refridgerator sized sub to set behind the mains) I also have a pair of Oris horns I can use at least till the new ouner is ready to take posession sometime in may. Joe

I measured a dozen speaker positions once (in my youth!) and found that three to four feet from the front AND side walls was optimum placement for most speakers to maximise imaging, soundstage and bass response.

Colin. That seems like quite a generic solution, but interesting none the less as I usually end up around 3 feet from side walls. However I am typically further from the wall behind the speakers. Currently my setup is 36.5 inches from the sides and 76 inches from the rear wall speakers are approx 9 feet apart and listening seat is about 11 feet back from the speakers soundstage is very 3D with awsome detail but still have some tweaking to do. Of course when the sub comes in the tweaking starts all over again!!!!!

Joe

I bought edgarhorn titans and am using those currently. I am getting a siesmic sub as well which is what prompted me to move the titans further into the room (need room for the refridgerator sized sub to set behind the mains) I also have a pair of Oris horns I can use at least till the new ouner is ready to take posession sometime in may. Joe

I wish I lived closer to you because you roll through some amazing gear.

When I had Belles I found they sounded best pulled 2.5ft away from the back wall but toed in to the sweet spot. These were in corners but not pushed into them.

I am not to sure about this Dr. Edgar fella. While searchimg to see what these speakers look like I found this picture. He is speaking tp people at a convention and didnt even have his pants zipped up.

That's funny, I didn't even notice that...good catch there... [:S]

[;)]

Yea that's kinda funny, they say that geniouses are to pre occupied to think about the little stuff. Good thing he wasn't hanging totally out

SETI: I wish I had alot of audio folks close by. I happen to beleive the more opinions the better when attempting to listen to new gear. The titans seem really special and capable of producing beautiful music once all the bugs are worked out. I also beleive like klipsch (except evev less forgiving) the titans will expose all weaknesses in a system. Joe

Really?

Chris

I'll second that, I tucked my Cornwalls into the corners with more angle just to be able to access our livingroom windows better and make the livingroom a bit more liveable. The improvement in sound was huge compared to the previous placement even with some furniture now in the way. Much better bass, imaging, and soundstage throughout the room (not just the sweet spot) - the speakers just seem to disappear even with my modest components.

Before

livingroom31.jpg

After

DSC_0756.jpg

Thanks dtel, it's a real cozy room. Our house has nice 1960's bones and we're just going with that (I don't have any pics with the aluminum Christmas tree.) Now that I've finally learned for myself, after all the time I've spent on this forum, how nice the corner speaker placement is, I'm rethinking Khorns. LarryC was nice enough help out on-line a few years ago and the dimensions he provided confirmed that Khorns would fit perfectly in our corners. I should add that my Fortes sounded best when placed as shown in the "before" pic above and I was just too lazy over the years to experiment with the Cornwall placement.