Sheffield Labs?

DizRotus

In the 70s I had several Sheffield Labs direct to disc recordings, including King James Version with Harry James, I've Got The Music In Me with Thelma Houston & Pressure Cooker and a recording by Lincoln Mayorga. Unfortunately, I got rid of them the same time I got rid of my vinyl and my AR turntable with an SME 3009 arm and Shure V15 III. That was a mistake!

Who is familiar with Sheffield Labs? Are CD versions of the direct to disc vinyl available?

I used the Thelma Houston record in my mobile DJ business. The dynamics were awsome. The four Speakerlab SKhorns never sounded better than when that record was playing at live concert levels.

Who is familiar with Sheffield Labs? Are CD versions of the direct to disc vinyl available?

Yes and yes (CD versions).

However, the Harry James stuff is only available on vinyl. I've been (re)collecting the CD versions (I don't know about you, but my vinyl always develops dusk and other issues over time, so I usually get CDs for those items that I play a lot--and CDs are easily resurfaced using a good polishing machine, of which I own one.)

I think that the Tower of Power "Direct" and Thelma Houston & Pressure Cooker CDs are wonderful. The Lab series (Lincoln Mayorga and his Distinguished Colleagues) are also outstanding recordings, but the musical style is becoming a little dated. The most widely owned CD among my acquaintances here is the James Newton Howard and Friends CD---that one is used by Roy D. and others to do critical listening tests on speakers.

All of these are available on Amazon on the "preowned" marketplace.

Glad you asked?

However, the Harry James stuff is only available on vinyl.

I beg to differ. I purchased the KJV on CD under the Sheffield label in Singapore in 1986...after hearing it on K'horns in a store there. I have at least one Sheffield vinyl but don't recall being as impressed as I expected to be. Moscow Symphony, I think.

Dave

I beg to differ. I purchased the KJV on CD under the Sheffield label in Singapore in 1986...after hearing it on K'horns in a store there.

I received a brochure in one of the jewel boxes of a Sheffiled Labs CD that indicated the earliest recordings (and maybe the lower volume sellers) were only available on vinyl. My memory served my incorrectly on that one Harry James, but I think that the other Harry James album is vinyl-only.

Anyway, I also found that the Sheffield Labs web sites have gone dark. Apparently the owner (Doug Sax) has moved onto other things in Goleta CA, such as just mastering now. Sax is famous for "The Mastering Lab" and other stuff, and is apparently a staunch "analog only" kind of guy.

In fact, I wonder how the CDs got manufactured at all? [*-)]

Chris

I have "Pressure Cooker" on CD and I had it on vinyl. The vinyl is better. Sheffield Labs is kaput and I know the guy that liquidated the entire Sheffield Lab inventory. If you want them, buy them off of Amazon while you can.

Thanx, Russ

The Sheffield KJV CD is remarkable and holds up incredibably well considering that so many of those early CD efforts are awful from transcoding and other processes we later found to be poor mastering procedure. In fact, poor results were almost guaranteed at the time as the very finest ANALOG engineers were usaully involved as it was assumed that, since the "new" process was expensive and had such promise of improving the state of the art, you wanted the best available. Unfortunately, these analog experts often used techniques that, while producing legendary vinyl, produced painfully poor digital. It's taken a couple of generations to realize that just because you are Casey Jones on a steam locomotive that doesn't guarantee you can get a diseel engine to the station on time...or even in one piece.

Dave

I know at least one guy that bets on jockeys, not horses...

The analogy here is that the format (CD, vinyl, etc.) is more like the horse, and the recording/mixing/mastering engineers are more like the jockey.

When I look for good recordings - I tend to look for "jockeys", not "horses".

I know at least one guy that bets on jockeys, not horses...

The analogy here is that the format (CD, vinyl, etc.) is more like the horse, and the recording/mixing/mastering engineers are more like the jockey.

When I look for good recordings - I tend to look for "jockeys", not "horses".

Idea

The British say: "Horses for courses," in other words, don't run a mudder on a dry track.

If you want great analog, use a great analog engineer. If you want great digital, use a great digital engineer. As far as the mike to pre out, there is no difference whatsover...but after that, there is little in common.

Dave

Mostly very good stuff and pushed the envelope at the time.

Yes - for some of us this is music of early adulthood. I don't necessarily listen to it because it's the best recording on my shelf (although they are very good in some cases), but because it brings back thoughts and experiences. Sheffield Labs recordings were one such experience for me. For instance, I listen to Amanda McBroom recordings because of a distant social connection between her mother and my folks during the 1950s in Dallas (SMU).

Chris

I've got a bunch, all on wax:

Amanda McBroom and Lincoln Mayorga "West of Oz" and "Growing Up in Hollywood Town"

Lincoln Mayorga and Distuingished Collegeagues "Volume III"

Tower of Power "Direct" (really good)

Thelma Hosuton and Pressure Cooker, "I've Got the Music in Me"

The McNeely-Levin-Skinner Band, "After Midnight"

Harry James and HIs Band, "The King James Version"

Harry James, "Comin' From A Good Place"

All very well recorded using direct to disc techniques rather than tape.

Wish I had Tower of Power- Remember them from the early 70s- one of my vinyl must haves

As far as CDs- check out Telark- excellent quality

also Highly reccomend George Lucas- Luke and the Locomotives- XRCD- 14 bucks new off E bay- demo quality killer CD sound.

In the 70s I had several Sheffield Labs direct to disc recordings, including King James Version with Harry James, I've Got The Music In Me with Thelma Houston & Pressure Cooker and a recording by Lincoln Mayorga. Unfortunately, I got rid of them the same time I got rid of my vinyl and my AR turntable with an SME 3009 arm and Shure V15 III. That was a mistake!

I used the Thelma Houston record in my mobile DJ business. The dynamics were awsome. The four Speakerlab SKhorns never sounded better than when that record was playing at live concert levels.

DSC_0495.jpg Harry James  (1976) image by Boxx44
I bought this album back in the late 70's without really knowing what a prize it would be now. As a 2nd generation recording it is outstanding. I have two other direct disc recordings that are equally as good.

I found one of the Harry James Sheffield Labs LPs at the thrift store for a buck. Outstanding for a buck.[;)] Not quite as good as many of my MFSLs (also half-speed) or newer reissues but I'm guessing it's way better than the original. I do listen to it once a year or so when I'm in a big band kind of mood!