300watts/600watts rms into RF-63's?

shaunm

hello, Is this too much watts into my 63's? I moved my home theatre into the bedroom now and will use the 63's for music in my family room, I can get a used pro power amps

-QSC PLX2 1804,

600 watts/ch RMS into 8ohms

-Crown Com-Tech 800,

315 watts/ch RMS into 8 ohms

the 63's is rated at 175watts rms. Right now its being driven by 100watts cheap yamaha probably only 50 real watts. Will i notice a sound difference? is this dangerous? and can i still use my yamaha as a pre amp? it doesn't have L/R speaker output. I will also be using it sometimes to watch movies 2channel only.

I have tried watching movies in 2 channels and its not bad the only thing you lose is the surround sound which doesn't even go on all the time, like if you go to watch a movie in a theatre the surround sound doesn't even come on, you only notice or hear the sound in front 95% of the time.

• Moderators

I think the real question is how crazy are you going to get with volume knob with the new amps ?

If your a normal person you will be fine, if you get crazy or a friend turns the knob alot, you will be shopping for new speakers.

That's like asking if a Porsch is to fast to be safe.

If you don't have "pre-outs", as others have said, you are not going to be able to hook up any amp. But, lets say you did have pre outs, with the bigger amp you will gain a beautiful thing called "Head-Room". Head-room allows the small details stand out and gives you solid bass, which is always a good thing. Yes, you'll have to be careful not to turn the volume up to much, but if you are careful, you should be okay.

So now you have to find an amp and a pre amp. But the journey is half the fun. [:P]

Keep us posted,

Dennie