New Emotiva amp on its way

wuzzzer

Now that I have a 5.1 setup I was looking for Emotiva 5+ channel amps to amplify all my speakers. I found an LPA-1 that I'll be getting very soon!

Nothing like a 63 pound amp to keep the tunes rollin'!

Wuzzer, and your final goal is................................????????????????????????????????

Uh, trying to hide future purchases from my wife? [:)]

I ultimately would like to have a dedicated pre-amp such as the UMC-1. If I went to any sort of pre-amp at this point I'd need something to amplify my center and surrounds since my current Emotiva amp is only a 2 channel amp. Now that I will have all 5 speakers amplified separately from my receiver it will give me more options if/when I upgrade again. Plus, I like the idea of all my speakers (except my sub of course) being amplified by the same unit rather than partially by an amp and partially by a receiver.

I'll be selling my UPA-2.

Hey whats up...I also have recently read people complaning about this as well and I do not know why a big deal is being made of this. I have an XPA-3 powering my RF-7's, and RC-7 and I have VERY good hearing and am very picky about my system. Now, there is an audible hiss, but it is only noticeable withing about 2 1/2 feet and only with my RF-7's, only from straight on, and if your not looking for it you wont hear it. The amp gain on both amps are 32db, so I am assuming it would be the same. I would say get yourself a pair of UPA-1's and get ready to be blown away, I know I was with my XPA-3. I also am looking into getting a UPA-2 or two UPA-1 for my two channel syetem.Good luck

Several months ago I attended the AXPONA audio show in FL. I was able to talk to one of the Emotiva reps for an extended amount of time. We discussed my current equipment as well as what I would expect if I added one of their (or anybodys) amp to the system. I can say that I was very interested in the XPA-2 to drive my Chorus II's. The Emo rep recomended not gonig with that amp because of the potential hiss. If I recall right, he stated that the amp ran on an extremly high "rail voltage" which would create the hiss factor in highly efficient speakers such as Klipsch. He stated it would only be audible during a 0 noise floor during a recording. His suggestion was to go with the XPA-3 or XPA-5. He explained the design of these amps differs eliminating the hiss. The actual un-published 2 ch specs for the XPA-3 are 250 wpc at 8 ohms and 400 wpc at 4 ohms, 20-20k. This brings the power rating into the XPA-2 range in 2 ch although I am sure the XPA-2 would hold certain advantages. The bottom line for me was a great improvment(with 0 hiss) with the addition of the XPA-5.

man i know how you feel! i already had the LPA-1. i just bought the UMC-1 and XPA-3 from emo. it arrived in a few days! i was so excited when i got home. the fed ex guy called me and said i needed to sign for it. good thing the wife was home! my ET center is now complete! i am glad i did buy the LPA-1 when i did. not only did i get an awesome deal from emo, but i have room to grow. of course the xpa-3 powers the front, but the lpa will power the 4 rear surrounds, and when the time comes, maybe a pair of "presents speakers." it has already happened, i just don't know about it yet! i am looking forward to the addition to ceiling audio tracks, for fly overs and helicopters. i am about to buy gold IEC inlet's to replace all 3 of the emo amps. i know i am nuts and a wire idiot, but i can't help myself. the amps will take me about 5 seconds to do. the processor, well that will take a few extra minutes, i have to take it all apart. called emo, they are actually ok with me doing it. of course if i do a horrible job and it fails because of the work i did, then my warranty is void. if my work is clean and the problem had nothing to do with replacing the inlet, the the warranty is good. i was really shocked when they told me that. i also found something out i didn't like. the umc-1 is not hdmi 1.4. the hdmi card that is in there is the 1.3a. if you want the 1.4 you will have to ship it back and pay a charge for it. i thought it was already done, i was wrong!

anyways, congrats on the purchase! emo rocks!

Holy crap this thing is huge and heavy! It just barely fits into my audio rack. Its the same width as the UPA-2 but about twice as tall and a few inches deeper.

It actually seems like a pretty lateral move from the UPA-2. That's definitely a good thing. The UPA is a sweet little amp and now that I have completely external amplification it'll give me future options for other receivers and pre-amps.

After listening to a few music Blu-Ray discs and a few short movie clips and running Audyssey everything is ready to rock and roll. This is one sweet amp.

Nice Wuzz! Congrats man! What music BD's do you listen to when you demo?

I hear ya on the size/weight issue... You never realize how big 65-75lbs is until its in a rectangular box that you are having to lift into a certain spot!!

Let's get some pics of that new-look rack!

Elton John's 60th b-day is an amazing Blu-Ray so I listened to some songs on that. Also some 80s stuff that I'm familiar with. I usually listen to Heart BD as well but not yet with the new amp. Still have to listen to David Gilmour Remember That Night also.

I'll try and get some pics this weekend of my audio rack when I take pics of the UPA-2 to put it up for sale.