Beautiful La Scalas on Craigslist (should I get em?)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They look great Buffalo! Thanks for posting the Pictures.

Now, can you post a picture of the Crossover Networks? If they are original, you will probably need to update them. I listened to my Original 1979's for about a year and finally called Bob Crites and asked him if new crossovers would make a difference. He just laughed and took my order. About 4 days later they arrived and WOW! What a difference.

Here is the Link to his website-----------> CLICK HERE

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!! [Y]

Dennie

They look great Buffalo! Thanks for posting the Pictures.

Now, can you post a picture of the Crossover Networks? If they are original, you will probably need to update them. I listened to my Original 1979's for about a year and finally called Bob Crites and asked him if new crossovers would make a difference. He just laughed and took my order. About 4 days later they arrived and WOW! What a difference.

Here is the Link to his website-----------> CLICK HERE

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Yes

Dennie

The crossovers are original AA. I'd like to replace them but first I need to rebuild my amps.

The crossovers are original AA.

At least they aren't AL... I think I should head to the living room and listen to mine. I turned the amps on about 30 min, ago.

Congrats, they look great. Super price, too. Not a steal, but easily a good buy.

Bruce

The crossovers are original AA. I'd like to replace them but first I need to rebuild my amps.

Just replace the caps and maybe the tweeters. BEC has Sonicap kits complete with mounting saddles and zip-ties, plus he has CT125 tweeters, which are an upgrade from the K-77s. AA crossovers are pretty good, but your caps will be well past their prime. No need to rush, though, it's not like a day and night change, just some added clarity. I'd suggest you get accustomed to the sound you have now, so when you do make some changes, you can tell if it's better or worse.

Getting the speakers optimally positioned will pay dividends, and that's free. Most people recommend toeing-in La Scalas to aim directly at the listening position. Fairly far apart is good, too. The equilateral triangle layout (speakers as far apart as they are from the listening position) is a good starting point.

I'm listening to Animals while I clean the room. These speakers effortlessly overwhelm the vacuum noise. They just have that "Big Speaker" presence I was looking for.

Yeah, there is really a sense of SCALE with La Scalas.

I tell my friends they can sing if they want to, all it takes is a little turn of the volume control and no one can hear them or me singing along!! [Y]

If you do a search, there are a few good threads on La Scala placement.

Dennie

That looks Great!! [Y]

Are the Klipsch Emblems below the tweeter? It sure looks like they could be blocking the bottom of the tweeter horn.

If that is where you sit, you might want to shove a book or something under the front of the speakers, get them aimed up at your ears.

Thanks for posting the picture,

Dennie

Now for the issue of upgrading or reconditioning. I'm considering four options.

1 Just replace the caps with sonicaps

2 Buy Crites AA networks with all new components

3 Buy a Crites A/4500 and CT125 tweeters

4 Buy ALK networks (more expensive for their universal x-overs)

After listening to my speakers for a while I get listener fatigue because the mids are a little overbearing. Will new crossovers help balance them out?

Also I notice that they sound pretty boomy around 100Hz at moderate volume (could be attributed to my undersized room). What can I do to tame the resonance (besides rebuilding the boxes out of 1" material)?