Thinking about Belles for HT side surrounds??????? Heritage HT Question

winchester21

This is just a pipe dream at this point. If certain events take place I may have shot at a highly modded Belles to match up with my modded K horn fronts. My center Lascala is getting the wood horn /crossover/tweeter upgrade- that is a done deal. I am agonizing over selling my beloved CWs and getting this modded pair of Belles- I dont know all of the stuff but I know that this pair has 1" wood horns-ALK jr crossovers- tweeter upgrades- huge JBL drivers--sounds great in 2 ch applicatioin. My CWs do a great job - they are box stock 1984 examples . My side surrounds in the 7.1 setup do not carry much bass- mostly mids and highs- so I am not losing out on the CW bass advantage for this app. These particular Belles have highs/mids like nobody's business These would be powered by a B&K Ex 4420 outboard-200WPC. I intend to mod the rear LS as well at some point Would I be better off to freshen up the CWs witn modern stuff or make the switch for about 700-900 dollars difference? I am considering this based on possible opportunity to purchase rather than the proper sequence of upgrades. I hate to get rid of my CWs but you cant keep the all. They will have to go if this thing happens

What do you think?? TIA for comments

My guess is you'd like them.

My comment is, if I'm splitting hairs, then the more alike you can keep your drivers & horns the better the overall system would be integrated.

In other words.... Khorns/Belle's and rear LaScalas with the same midrange would be better (when splitting hairs) than K400's on one, Trachorns on another and perhaps Vtracs on the third (although this mix would still probably sound out of this world!)

I need to rescind your invitation to hear the Jubilee's because when you do.... you're going to pull your hair out. [:o]

Realizing that I'd love to see that event, I'll keep the invitation open for you! [;)]

Yeah we are way past splitting hairs- that was obviuos when the tset stuff came out of the case this weekend. I am thing that a set of moded Belles and the Indsut LS that I got form you- modded to match down the road would match anything up fromt including DBBS of Jubs.

BTW- the DBBs are the best speakers that I have neard to date which makes the Jubs that much more of a deadly needle drug audio expierment that I will defer to a later date with expanded finances. Dont drive it or listen to it if you cant buy it. 3 jubs are 18 large right? not now- maybe later- I have no doubt that they are otherworldly.

In the meantime I will most likely jump on thses Belles if the chance presents itself.

For HT duty we only need tiny speakers for the sides and rear. Look in any modern theater these days. So you don't need Corns nor Belles which you already sort of mention. That said, the Belles are going to be fully horn loaded and will have less overall distortion and are a rare treat as well. I agree with Coytee they are a closer match to the Khorns and lascalas as well. I'd go with the Belles. p>

Mark- I would argee with you in 90% of the cases- tiny speakers- the difference being something like Hell freezes over- Orbison Black and white- the transformer DVDs- some loud action movies. I kept hearing from the klipsch tech people that the rears and sided were going to get more involvement in the new DVDs. Honestly- I have not seen it. I realize that for most applications-this is way overkill. As for the theaters I would argue that my stuff sounds better than most that I have heard locally. I come home disapointed with the sound most of the time. The last one I saw was all subwoofers- could not half here the voices- Awful. I have not sought out the better I max and Klipsch theatres to put things into perspective. I would also argue that theatres have the advantage of perfect sound enviornments and supporting electronics where the smaller more numerous speakers are in their element. I have tried the reference stuff mounted high on the side walls- the big speakers work better for my mess of a listening room- safes- wine racks- tool cabinets- office desk-bookshelves- ect. Sure - it is like using a sledge hammer to kill a fly but in my case- it works

I will switch to the Belles if they become available.

For HT duty we only need tiny speakers for the sides and rear. Look in any modern theater these days. So you don't need Corns nor Belles which you already sort of mention. That said, the Belles are going to be fully horn loaded and will have less overall distortion and are a rare treat as well. I agree with Coytee they are a closer match to the Khorns and lascalas as well. I'd go with the Belles. p>

I thought my Heresy surrounds were great until I swapped them out for Belles , WOW !

Belles? Belles are for stereo, right? Who in their right mind would have 5 or 7 Belles? or is that 9?

Think small, live small. What is wrong with 5 or even 7 Belles? Indy Roger has 7 split pro La Scalas, I have 7 TSCM pro Klipschorns, and within a week, I should have 5 double MWM bins and 4 MWM single bins, or the equivelant of 7 MWM bins (I already have the 5 MWM double bins). I can absolutely CRUSH movie theatre listening levels. [Y][Y][Y][Y][:D]

Roger

mark1101,

Are the larger speakers nesecary? No, not absolutely, but I would suggest that smaller speakers are used in movie theatres more from the aspect of taking up seating space in a box of a given size. Instead of an even larger room to heat and cool with larger speakers at seating level, we put smaller speaker up in the air pointed downward. Besides the cost of paying for building a larger room, taxes on a larger building, higher heating and cooling costs, the price of speakers for all those channels goes WAY up as well. Personally, I believe the pre engineered surround sound system with smaller speakers SUCK!, even the Klipsch settups! Most DVDs don't have enough signal to the surrounds, now couple that with smaller, (read less efficient speakers) and we Houston, we have a problem. It's not just the surrounds either, center channels are a problem as well. An RC-7 is a better match to a pair of RF-5s then it is to a pair of RF-7s! Anyone who wants to argue that can come over. I bought my Mom an RC-7, and then bought an RF-7 that had been reconfiggured to a center channel by a fellow forrum member, I still HAVE both and am more than willing to prove wrong anyone who would argue otherwise. Then there is the added benifit of listening to music, I can listen in 2 channel stereo, or multi-channel stereo, as well as surround sound on a DVD like the Eagles final fairwell tour. Maximum ear bleeding SPL for parties, to impress guests, or if the mood strikes me, and any listening combination inbetween.

Roger

Having 4 Klipschorn's (Front & Rear), a La Scala (Center) and Belle Klipsch (Surrounds) reinforced by two Velodyne HGS-15 subs I can vouch for exactly what Roger is trying to stress. There is no replacement for displacement. I can listen to music and movies in any mode I choose 2, 3, 5, or 7 channel.

Local theaters can rival output but not come close to matching the intricate detail and accuracy of the system.

I have since downscaled my system down some but at it's peak it was nothing short of incredible and could play at insane levels without a hint of distortion. I prefer the Cornwall's in the rear just for a little more bass reinforcement they add. I did notice a difference the couple of times that I have switched them back and forth with Belle Klipsch. Belle's are just plain gorgeous looking speakers though.

UNNRET- What you have 7 Belles now???????????????????? sick puppy-seek help soon

HT is so frustrating. Listen to 2 DVDs- no rear or side surround action to speak of.... then the 3rd one has helicopters landing.... machine guns blasting- doorbells/cell phones ringing-ect ect ect and the surround/rear demands change exponentially. I had a dead amp running my Cornwalls-had to go back to reciever power until I could locate a B&K 4420 replacement off E -bay. I thought no problem- I will notice very little difference...WRONG!!!!!! The whole system suffered and was not right until I replaced the dead HK 870 with the B&K 4420. It was like the whole system was weak and lacking. Never woulda thought it.I think that people really underestimate the need for powerful speakers and amps running the sides and rear surrounds.

I will buy the belles if the deal is dooable.

I am in the TCH/Roger camp on crushing HT.This 7 ch Heritage setup is simply amazing with the right program material.It is really fun to invite friends over who own the trendy audio store or professionally installed HT systems. My system is not all subwoofer glitz-although the RSW 15 will remove drywall if you let it. In spite of stupidly low dollars invested in E bay amplifiers and 80s vintage speakers- for bang and flash- this system will vaporize the others that I have heard that cost several times as much.The belle surrounds should complete it.