*** Looking to replace my Recevier/ Amp..... What should I buy????

Bilka316

Please take a look at my signature to see my current set-up. I have had my Yamaha receiver for a few years now. Since I have recently upgraded to reference series speakers I am wondering if it is time to upgrade my receiver as well? I am looking at the Denon not sure of the model it pushes 125w per channel @ 6ohms ( What does that equal out to for 8ohms???) Why do they list it at 6 instead of 8? Any sugestions on what I should get??? Is anyone looking to upgrade and want to sell me one. [;)]

The biggest reason is to update to HDMI. I'm running blue-ray and ps-3, just seems like the right choice. Thanks in advance for all your input!!!!

They probably list it at 6 ohms instead of 8 because that will make the wattage rating higher. Myself, I'm a fan of Harman Kardon units. One nice thing about the HKs is that they pretty much all have preamplifier outputs, so you can use an outboard amp if you need more power than the receiver can deliver.

Bilka316,

What is your budget you can afford for a receiver? Do you think you might add an outboard amp in the future? How happy have you been with your Yamaha? A little more info will definitely go a long way. We are here to serve.

Bill

Currently my budget is about $500. After spending $1200 on speakers things are kind of tight. I don't think I will ever be adding an amp. I think that 110-135 per channel is sufficient. I have been happy with my Yamaha but I think it is outdated. The setup and remote are complicting. Too many sound field options. I would like something easier to operate, automatic set-up, compatible with blue-ray. I just want to make sure I am getting the best possible sound to my speakers. The best buy near me often has open box or clerence receivers. I only need 5.1 since my RS speakers have such a wide dispersment of sound.

I have been looking at the new Pioneer

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+550W+5.1-Ch.+3D+Pass+Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/9846526.p?id=1218199620702&skuId=9846526

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for the info.

If I were in your position, I would not go with a low end Pioneer receiver. At less than 20 pounds, it is definitely not putting out 110w/channel let alone into five channels. Here are a couple of options near your budget.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR807/Onkyo/TX-NR807-THX-Select2-Plus-135-watts-Channel-7.2-Network-Receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR6003/Marantz/Sr6003-Dolby-Truehd/Dts-hd-Master-Audio-Av-Receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5004/Marantz/SR5004-Dolby-TrueHD-PLIIz/dts-HD-MA-AV-Receiver/1.html

Accessories4less has a great reputation as an online merchant and is an authorized Marantz and Onkyo dealer.

While the Pioneer receiver you are considering would probably run out of steam, the Onkyo and Marantz's I have suggested will have plenty of headroom. The Marantz has fewer bell's and whistles but is very musical while the Onkyo has more features and a great user interface.

Bill

Thanks for all the great advice. I am once again redminded why I come to this site daily. I know the Pioneer was a dumb choice I have never used one in my home theater setup. It just siunded like it had all the features I was looking for. After hearing your responses I will wait and find a good deal on a higher end receiver.

Any thoughts on Denon? I have heard good things. Why do they rate everything @ 6ohms? Is the Onkyo line my best choice?

I am partial to Onkyo, just because it was such a big difference from the 5.1 Kenwood reveiver it replaced.

It made a big difference in the sound; and it is very customizable.

Denons are very good as well (Not sure why they rate @6ohms except if they are trying to make it appear as more wpc). I believe Onkyo may be slightly more bang for buck.... You would do well with these as well as Marantz and Yamaha. The Pioneer Elite series are also excellent receivers; but way above your price point of $500.

The previous poster's comment about weight is very valid in my opinion. (My Onkyo is almost 40 pounds.) Less weight= smaller heatsinks; lower quality power supply and less/cheaper parts used.

My last point is about searching for slightly used equipment. You could easily save half or more of the original price.

(My Onkyo cost almost $1000 3-4 yrs ago; I paid $150. Mine does not have HDMI; but I have every other feature I wanted).

Good Luck.

im exactly in the same boat, i have avr 247 bought 3 yrs ago, and my problem is mine doesnt decode the newest and current audio formats like dts master audio dolby true hd, etc..... I really like harman kardon and am looking at the avr 3600, never owned a yamaha so dont know a lot about their receivers. Just want the best for my new klipsch ref. IV speakers.

I would also agree that if you can afford a good quality unit in your price range (Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, Yamaha) you won't be upset...the challenge is the price point. HK tends to be pricier for lower wattage, but wattage is kind of an arbitrary measurement with some companies. I wouldn't worry too much about the specific wattage, especially if you are powering efficient speakers like Klipsch. I never have to push my 100 wpc Marantz to get more than loud enough sound, especially with music.

I personally have really good luck with the Integra line, not a whole lot of difference between Integra and Onkyo. I like it as it also has the preouts if you consider adding seperated down the line. I am planning on upgrading this summer to the 30.1 or 40.1 model.

~ross

im exactly in the same boat, i have avr 247 bought 3 yrs ago, and my problem is mine doesnt decode the newest and current audio formats like dts master audio dolby true hd, etc..... I really like harman kardon and am looking at the avr 3600, never owned a yamaha so dont know a lot about their receivers. Just want the best for my new klipsch ref. IV speakers.

I actually have the same receiver. I have a PS3 hooked up to it which decodes everything and sends it out PCM so I still get all of the new surround formats. Most blu-ray players have an option to either send out bitstream re-encoded, bitstream w/ the new audio formats, or uncompressed PCM.