la scalas on the way......

Congrats and welcome to the Heritage club.

Here's some notes:

Read all you can in the Updates and 2ch sections about LS, LSI, and networks. GLA51 has an excellent history document about the Heritage line.

Don't be in a hurry. If they work, listen for 30 days before you touch anything.

I had Cornwalls and RC7 as first system. Sure it made noise, but a pretty horrid matchup now that I know better.

I'd keep the Reference system intact. Got another room you could use the LS in for 2 ch listening only (home office perhaps or workshop)

While the fabric is nice, you might eventually be better off returning them to stock condition.

On Heritage, the key to networks is keeping the midrange driver and network matched. Changes in manufacturing technology cause changes in midrange sound, hence changes in the networks. Again the historical documentation on the Forum is already there, so let's not repeat it all but just using the SEARCH function there's a lot of reading available.

Have you developed any impressions of the LS v RF7 sound yet?

Enjoy!

Michael

Don't be in a hurry. If they work, listen for 30 days before you touch anything.

If only ALL new owneres would pay heed to this advice, they could save themselves a lot of wasted time, effort and money.

Bruce

If only ALL new owneres would pay heed to this advice, they could save themselves a lot of wasted time, effort and money.

Bruce

Your statement rings of truthiness.

I don't plan to rush out and buy anything, I will do some research on the networks. I think the current al-3s that are in there sound great. Eventually i'd like to restore them and keep them as original as possible. I don't have an extra room for 2 channel, i bought the LS's for when we move. I'd like to have a seperate system for 2 ch. that's the reason i sprung for the scala's.

The comparison between the 2 is different and not different. I haven't listened to the scala with any HT content, just music.

As far as music goes, there's no doubt the scala's sound better, they sound more balanced from top to bottom than the RF 7's, the mid bass of the scala is much better than the 7's. The vocal clarity on the scala is also a noteable improvement. This is not to say that the RF 7's is not an exceptional speaker. The 7's seem more dynamic and hot on the top end in comparison. and play lower.

I find myself listening to music i really like but didn't enjoy listening to on the 7's.

before I do much more listening, i need to figure out where i can place them and keep the wife semi happy.

Also, what about placement?

Some more impressions, I moved them to the corners and I must say they don't sound nearly as good as they did in the relative location next to my 7's, I will attribute this to my seating posistion being too close. They sound sloppy at higer volumes in comparison to the 7's and the imaging isn't pinpoint like my 7's, I will attribute all of the above to my lack of experimentation with the la scala's.

I've had rf 5's or rf 7's for about 6 years (i think) and have really moved them all over the place to find what works.

The la scalas are much easier to listen to at higher dB's, they get loud very easily, I thought my pb 13 U would have kept up better with my initial settings, I had to re adjust the sub to play better with the scala's.

I had been trying to leave settings and stuff alone (relatively speaking) so I would not have re calibrate everything, then I convinced myself to move the 7's and change settings for the scalas to give them a proper demo, plus i figured there's a change of seasons and it's getting hotter so a recalibration is probably neccessary due to humidity and what not.

I'm going to move them back out of the corner, and do some more listening.

Hey Rockon,

You seem to be doing everything right. Take your time and listen, listen, listen. I probably moved my La Scalas around for a year before I felt I had correct placement for great stereo separation and sound stage.

Don't forget to use the search function. There are many many threads on La Scalas.

Dennie

thanks dennie, I've been reading here as well as listening since i got home at about 230. The wifes grandparents are in town so she's been gone with the kids all day, great for me.

I pulled them back out...... when I put them in the corners my heart sunk, my smile went away, i was disappointed.

I was hoping they would sound good in the corners, I may have been able to pull off keeping everything in the room. If the room were deeper I think corners would have been good.

I'll just leave them where they are for as long as I can until the wife starts hollaring at me.