la scalas on the way......

well..... the wife was not happy when i woke her up last night, as we were bring them in she woke up, came out and said...."holy sh&t those are bigger than you said." I hooked them up last night real briefly to make sure all worked properly.

I've been home from work for about 30 minutes or so trying different music and formats, my first impressions are good. The sound compared to the reference line (rf 5's and rf 7's) which i have all hooked up in the same room is completely different as you all have stated. I wasn't really wanting scala's, only for the fact to hear what all the fuss is about, well, now I know. Even with old caps, they sound great.

Someone prior to the guy i bought them from finished the front with oak trim and placed fabric across the front, nice touch. The sides and top are covered with vinyl or laminet of some sorts (white) which probably helped to preserve the wood finish, or they were beat up pretty bad. It seems they were used as PA speakers because the connectors were 1/4". The have a DOM of Oct. 1989, with AL 3 networks.

I know i'm all over the place with the response, sorry. I'm listening now to the john mayer blu ray 2 ch only, prior was dave and tim at radio city, all sounds great.

In comparison to the rf 5's and rf 7's they sound fuller or more balanced from top to bottom, the clarity and instrument seperation is way beyond that of the reference line (with no mods). I'll take some pictures now, somebody, while i'm getting pictures loaded post a reply and tell me how to posts pictures.

Be right back.

There are two ways to post pictures.

1. Click options. Then Add/Update and go find the picture on your hard drive. You'll have to click save but have to scroll over to the right to see it. Complete message and post.
  2. Upload to an online photo site such as photobucket. Copy direct link url from photobucket. Click on the little tree icon which displays Insert/edit Image when moused over. Paste the image URL into Image URL box. Click Insert. Cmoplete message and post.

p.s. Option 2 will include link in email so image will load in email and also doesn't use up Klipsch's server space to store the imgae.. The image will not be seen in email with the 1st option.

Sounds like a great score. The laminate might be kind of nasty but maybe ok? but $500 LaScalas I'd think would be a good deal.

Enjoy.

Wow, those look great! When you get the crossovers updated, they will sound great also.

Congratulations! You are now a Klipsch Heritage Owner! [:P] Welcome to the club! [<:o)]

Dennie

PS Good lookin' Dogs! [&]

These things sound great, they may not have low bass but I couldn't tell, i suppose i should turn off the pb 13 ultra for a better listening.

I haven't read much about the la scala's what's the consensus on networks? new al-3's, A or AA's, bobs a/4500 with the new ct125 tweeter?

what about placement, as you can see from pictures i placed them roughly the same as my RF 7's, toed in or not, corners (if available) or no corners. I've already talked to my father in law about refinishing them. I'd like to do the cross overs first then diaphrams and eventually the finish, unless others suggest a different order of projects/replacement.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do, I'd like to use the la scala for 2 channel only and keep my current HT setup, but the wife may have issues with everything in the same room and I love my 7's. The rf 5's will probably end up going, who knows. Gotta figure something out before 4th of july.

If you look at the pictures I'm hoping I can talk the wife into letting me squeeze the la scala's between the rf 7's for 2 channel and relocate the rack and sub.

thanks for all the help guys. look forward to hearing back.