What's more fun than a Velodyne DD-18?

laager

Still toying with placement. Where they are located in the images is convenient but may not be the final resting place. I have the ability to put them on the side walls but moving these heavy suckers around requires planning and serious motivation, both of which are lacking at present. Heck, the new addition sat in its box for a week before I finally opened it up and installed it. [:$]

At present, the bottom end is fuller, and by that I mean audibly even across the 25' front wall (and the rest of the room). It was well set up when there was only one but with the two it seems, well, more balanced. I know people claim a well placed sub should not be able to be located (i.e. bass is essentially omnidirectional to the ear) but I've never been a full subscriber to that. As far as I'm concerned it's simply less directional. Spread the source and it's better.

At present, it is better and that's a good point to start from. Makes some of the purchase pain worth it.

If you want to try placement options when you have wooden floors, just set the subs on an upside down scrap piece of carpet. You can pull them around without too much effort. Once you find their final resting place, take the carpet out.

Still toying with placement. Where they are located in the images is convenient but may not be the final resting place. I have the ability to put them on the side walls but moving these heavy suckers around requires planning and serious motivation, both of which are lacking at present. Heck, the new addition sat in its box for a week before I finally opened it up and installed it. Embarrassed

At present, the bottom end is fuller, and by that I mean audibly even across the 25' front wall (and the rest of the room). It was well set up when there was only one but with the two it seems, well, more balanced. I know people claim a well placed sub should not be able to be located (i.e. bass is essentially omnidirectional to the ear) but I've never been a full subscriber to that. As far as I'm concerned it's simply less directional. Spread the source and it's better.

At present, it is better and that's a good point to start from. Makes some of the purchase pain worth it.

The Harman/Toole papers indicate that the best placements for two subs are one at the midpoint of each of the two side walls, one at the midpoint of the front wall and one at the midpoint of the back wall, or one in each of the two front corners. Corner placement will give maximum modal excitation, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your room and your preferences. Those are good starting points, but at the end of the day the only way to find out is to drag them around and play stuff.

Still playing around with them. The more I listen, the more I realise the impulsive decision to purchase the second was not without merit.

The massive amp and accelerometer/servo control over the cone is the brute force solution to not being horn loaded (or ported for that matter). Toss in the parametic EQ that comes with them and the inbuilt ability to connect serially for master/slave control and it's difficult to find any fault at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Olorin,

Good advice. The classic setup seen in most rooms if far from ideal, understanding your room and...modes is the key for accurate bass.With two units used(placed) properly one can tame room modes enough to get reference quality bass.

Laager,

Nice subs,I had a HGS18 a few years back. SQ is always tops with these servo subs. The "massive" amp not that massive after you factor the

"loss" the servo control brings and...it is a sealed sub with ~2" of peak to peak excursion.

Flash news, an amp with a mere 1.25kW RMS/3KW PEAK rating is only average in the pro amp world.I have amps like the QSC PL380and Crown itech8000 rated at 8000W RMS. These require special 30AMP lines and apropriate twist receptacles. The iTech's runns on dedicated 40AMP lines and 240V.

Now these are massive(power output wise). [:P] Also when plate amps are thrown in the mix try a JLAudio Gotham plate amp for size and OUTPUT. [:D]

Switching (transformerless)plate amps are very common around the 1kW range. Nothing massive.

Ego my ego !

All this for a "massive" plate amp in a Velo DD(double D ! holy COW!) , and all the 1250W RMS/3kW PEAK as claims Velo Dine. [:@]

Speaking of dining ...The only massive things are Texans (they are massive) and tourists from Quebec going to Florida...also massive! Send them on a diet.

Ego my ego ! All this for a "massive" plate amp in a Velo DD(double D ! holy COW!) , and all the 1250W RMS/3kW PEAK as claims Velo Dine. Angry Speaking of dining ...The only massive things are Texans (they are massive) and tourists from Quebec going to Florida...also massive! Send them on a diet.

What a factual, incisive, eloquent and completely relevant contribution to the thread.

Since you are asking me to be FACTUAL, I will.

First you room looks as live as a cavern, due to all the exposed reflective surfaces! No unequal surfaces, at least treatment !

Your speakers are in corners,if these were K-Horns I would understand as they were designed by PWK to use corners for obvious reasons.

[:D]

Cornwalls...LOL Yes Embarrassed I was pulling the chain too much. Stick out tongue These "massive" Cornwalls...Corner Wall...Cornwall. Zip it!

You just can't help yourself. You're right. The only thing massive around here is the size of your ego and your mouth.