Khorn placement as fronts in a diamond-shaped room?

jcm

JCM, you poor guy. I was born in the 20th century, and like my wife as well. I have 1 serious hobby and that's music. Albeit not as bad as others, my room is full of "large" speakers and the basement is full of guitars, amps drums and other things when it comes to music.

My wife spends money where she wants and has little to show for it, I on the other hand spend it on "my" things. I don't complain about her habits and she let my bad habits be aswell.

As roger said, go get them, bring them home, move the room around so it works best for your placement. Eventually even large speakers disappear.

I thought about the projector idea, but the one thing you can't see in my diagram is the ceiling fan in the center of the room. And boy howdy does that room need it. The ceiling has minimal insulation before you hit the roof (no attic above), so the room gets HOT. Add a bunch of stereo equipment and you can roast marshmallows when the A/C kicks off.

Why not remove the single fan and replace with two fans on either side of the room? One fan for that size room isn't enough anyway. You can then install the projector where the single fan was.

Hm, dual fan action. Let me look into that.

I secretly dream of putting one of these babies in there.

LMAO!!!!!!!

I used to work at RR Donnelley in Bolingbrook and I swear to you they have like 8 or 9 of those installed......

They do make a difference in a 100 degree warehouse......

The funny part is the signage; each one is labelled "BIG *** FAN"...... spinning round and round..... [:D]

I wish. The only other choice is the living area, which has 20' ceilings and opens into the dining room and kitchen areas and the upstairs hallway.

This is what I have to work with, and it's why it might seem that I am not following the otherwise good suggestions given here.

You can't see them, but the corners of the rooms have the ceiling coming down to 5'2" or less. Which means the Khorns will JUST fit under them.

I do have an acre of land, and my dream is to build a self-contained media "shack", with perfect acoustics, a 100"+ screen and enough speakers to lift the roof. That's a ways out though, and the logistics issues are no less difficult (electricity, water for the bar area, etc.).

• Like 1

With your above comments, I'd suggest you either look at Jubilee's if you want to really go balls to the wall or, my next choice would be to get some LaScalas and convert them into "JubeScalas". Down the road, if you add your 'shack', you can use these same LaScalas as your rear surrounds and get a trio of Jubilee's across the front. One reason I suggest the Jubilee's is of course, it's a freaking fantastic speaker. Second, I wonder if people who think they might get them "one day" keep in their mind that Roy/Klipsch is offering the Jubilee to us loons more as an accomodation rather than it being an official SKU/product number.

It's certainly possible that this availabity will stay with us for years to come....and it's just as possible that Klipsch Corporate might decide that Roy is being too radical and tell him to stop these side sales (though I personally find it hard to believe they'd want to stop any sales but still....you never know)

So my advice for anyone seeking to buy a new pair of Khorns is get the Jublee's while you know you can and enjoy them for decades to come. Besides, all new purchases of Jubilee's come with a really cool toy inside the box. [<:o)]

Let me second the opinion of the Jubilee. Yes, the large HF horn (K-402) can be intimidating. For that reason, among others, I have opted for the smaller horn (K-510) which is only 15" by 9" and can be easily placed in a top cabinet.

For some, the thought of using the smaller horn is seen as a huge deficit. Well, when I listen to my setup, I think the combo sounds great. No real deficit here - just a big smile on my face. With no disrespect to the K-Horn, since I think it is one of the great speaker systems, I feel the Jubilees sound better and it is worth the effort.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Getting back tot he fan problem...and correct me if I'm wrong but....

Don't decent projectors these days have some type of offsetting process that allows you to set up your projector at an off-angle (instead of the middle of the room)? I thought I had a friend with a similar problem and he was able to put the projecter off to the side of the ceiling fan and then adjust it's projector angle so it came out nice when projected onto the wall. I don't have any "personal" info on this but think it would be worth checking out.

My $0.02.

And that's the other problem. I don't have one serious hobby: I have about a dozen. Cars, photography and hi-fi are the most expensive though.

Cars,..... Did someone say CARS? Did you even look at my avitar????

I have the same multi-hobby problem and it spreads the cash thin. For me it's; Cars, Motorcycles, Audio, Guns and shooting, also was paintball for over 20 years, Scuba, and rapelling. I have been sky diving as well.

Now back to those cars... Which ones?

Roger