Trying to understand heritage vs new

Frank5

I'm not sure how the K-28s would work with the current crossover. Bob's would be a good match. If you wanted to, you can patch the cat scratches with some Weldbond and thin tissue paper until you decide. That would cost you about $5. You thin the Weldbond with water and do a few coats on the patch area. I've fixed some cracked rubber surrounds on some JBLs, and they are still rockin' after a couple of years. It dries flexible, and won't really add enough mass to the cones to change the compliance (at least not enough for you to notice).

Bruce

http://www.weldbond.com/products

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i am back, well over a year since i posted the heritage vs new question. i got some heresy's 1980 isth. i love them. my fisher loves them and they love the fisher. thank everyone for joining in on the original thread. They have a damaged cone on one woofer, so eventually it will need to be replaced...am now in heritage heaven.

You made a good choice, Frank, with the Heresies instead of the new junk made in China or wherever.

And now for the rest of the story. When Paul W. Klipsch had finished designing and building the Heresy speaker, it lacked a name at that point. He was thinking of something that would fit in thematically with the marching band sound that he so dearly loved. He thought about calling the speakers Sousas, after John Philip Sousa, of course. He thought about calling them the Alfords, after Kenneth Alford. He even considered calling them the Fuciks, after the great Czech composer Julius Fucik, but it didn't take an engineer to foresee the problems he'd get into with that one. LOL!

Anyway, PWK was always fond of his sweets. While running through possible names, he was close to finishing a chocolate bar . . . Do you know where this is headed? Yep, he got some melted chocolate from his Hershey bar on his fingers, and then from there mysteriously (or not, he abhorred napkins) transferred to his yet untitled speaker. Just then a friend of his came into his shop, saw the speaker, asked "What's that?" PWK said, "That's Hershey," thinking that he was referring to the stain on the speaker finish. Anyway, PWK didn't enunciate clearly enough since he still had some chocolate in his mouth. It came out a little garbled, like Her-sey. The friend repeated it, but modified the first vowel sound a little, pronouncing it more like Hair-sey. PWK had a eureka moment and settled with Heresy on the spot.

My room is not large, corners are on the wrong side of room. I crave Crisp, clear, detail, and the ability to pinpoint the location of the voice and instrument location. am not a rocker, bass is for orchstras, not cracking the plaster for me.

so, heritage or new?

What size is your room? My office is 11x14 and in here my RB-5 ll's sound better than my Forte ll's. In my living room the Forte sounds better. Don't count out the RF or RB series, they have some nice offerings.

The area foot print of a Heresy and a Forte ll are almost identical go for a "Forte ll or a KLF 20 or the CF3. This is my asending order of preference. Caveat on the CF3 is that you will require a different amp so you best oprions with your fantastic amp is the Forte ll and then the KLF20 (cf3 would be my first choice I own each of these). These all have essentially the same fort print..

Find some and go listem. Listening to larger Klipsch will muddy the waters for you with considering anything smaller the guys are not kidding about that one. I am getting really big in a hurry and considering even larger when I am done my latest go around. I will say that if you brace and stiffen either a Forte ll or a KLF20 and you tweak them up right you can take them to where most would never believe they are capable of going. Its is all up to you Frank. Good luck have fun and go crazy and listen to the big stuff you only do this once after all. Best regards Moray James.

PS: Frank welcome to the greatest Klipsch site in the world. I think that you have already figured that out.Great folks, welcome home.OOPS missed the Heresy purchase. That's great keep your eyes pealed for the Forte ll or the KLF20 and go have a look and a listen if they pop up. As the guys will tell you it's hard to have too many Klipsch.

And now for the rest of the story. When Paul W. Klipsch had finished designing and building the Heresy speaker, it lacked a name at that point. He was thinking of something that would fit in thematically with the marching band sound that he so dearly loved. He thought about calling the speakers Sousas, after John Philip Sousa, of course. He thought about calling them the Alfords, after Kenneth Alford. He even considered calling them the Fuciks, after the great Czech composer Julius Fucik, but it didn't take an engineer to foresee the problems he'd get into with that one. LOL!

Anyway, PWK was always fond of his sweets. While running through possible names, he was close to finishing a chocolate bar . . . Do you know where this is headed? Yep, he got some melted chocolate from his Hershey bar on his fingers, and then from there mysteriously (or not, he abhorred napkins) transferred to his yet untitled speaker. Just then a friend of his came into his shop, saw the speaker, asked "What's that?" PWK said, "That's Hershey," thinking that he was referring to the stain on the speaker finish. Anyway, PWK didn't enunciate clearly enough since he still had some chocolate in his mouth. It came out a little garbled, like Her-sey. The friend repeated it, but modified the first vowel sound a little, pronouncing it more like Hair-sey. PWK had a eureka moment and settled with Heresy on the spot.

I wasn't there and never met PWK however, that's not the story I recall reading.

I'll leave it to others to retell the story or slap me upside the head.

• Moderators

I wasn't there and never met PWK however, that's not the story I recall reading.

Wasn't the one I heard either, where's that button when you need it, oh there it is..........[bs]

George could be right but I think it's just heresy.

Wasn't the one I heard either, where's that button when you need it, oh there it is..........PWK BS Button

The story I heard was that PWK was sketching or making notes for the new speaker, and a friend looked at the sketch and said "What's That?" PWK said he was designing a small speaker. The friend said, "For you, that would be a heresy!"

So, i visit klipsh/home theater showroom and am told the the older speakers are not as sweet as the new reference speakers. That Forte's were an attempt at mass production and not good. Obviously a sales pitch.... but, what is the difference? There seems to be no way for me to do comparative listening.

Some dealers cannot carry all Klipsch lines. Some can't carry
Heritage, Some carry Reference only. That dealer's comments were so
strange that I suspect he is one of the "Reference only" guys.

I
believe that as you move from one well designed speaker to another, you
almost always gain something and lose something. Going by reputation
alone, the best Klipsch speakers are Klipschorns (Heritage), Jubilees
(originally to be a redesigned Klipschorn, but now to be found on the
cinema/professional page... communicate with Roy Delgado at Klipsch if
you want one), certain other Klipsch professional/cinema speakers and the biggest Palladium.

I have not heard the Jubilee or the Palladium yet, but suspect that I
would prefer the Jubilee, just becaue of the design principles
involved.

Compared to other good speakers (B & W comes to mind) fully
horn loaded Heritage speakers (Klipschorn, La Scala, Belle) might not
show their (IMO) superiority at moderate volumes, but at both
very low and rather high volumes there seems to be more "there, there"
with those three Heritages ... I assume the same is true of the Jubilee,
perhaps more so. Also, about 150 watts (short term) into one of the
three Heritages mentioned above produces the same sound pressure level
as somewhere between 800 watts to 2,000 watts into a typical 90 dB/1W/1M
speaker (depending on placement; in a trihedral corner -- where the
K-horn must be -- the figure would be about 2,000 watts).

I have no idea where the italics in the above paragraph came from, but I can't get rid of them!