There's Something About kg's...

In 1988 I picked up a pair of Klipsch kg2s brand new...wanted the Heresys but the budget said different...I got my first real Klipsch and was pretty happy for about the next 16 years...then I found this place, ebay, Craigslist, the garage...you know...

I liked my kg2s as they still had that Klipsch sound despite being 2 way...the way Reference/Synergy etcetera never has...I initially (in 1988) thought the kg4s sounded muddy in the bass department, who needs that much bass anyway...

Later I picked up a pair of KG1s (now we use the capital letters)...despite being shy of bass compared with Quartets or even Heresys they still had that Klipsch Heritage family sound to me...

Still later I found KG 4.5s and KG5.5s...I picked these up for a Home Theater application and this may be why I feel these two speakers don't to me, have the Klipsch Heritage family soun...using amplification from 3 different Outlaw Audio Home Theater systems, these speakers did well in their intended Home Theater application having BIG, deep bass but they seemed to be missing their midsection when compared to the regular classic Heritage and extended Heritage Klipsch models...duh, perhaps it is a 3 way vs 2 way thing for me (but I like the Jubilee??? [;)]

Recently I picked up the first generation kg4s...more efficient and having a larger cabinet as well as 2 8" woofers, this is a very nice and balanced sounding speaker to my ears...right now powered by Outlaw Audio RR2150 retro receiver instead of the Home Theater offerings, I am enjoying them right now...not optimally placed they're sounding just a bit bright to me with the tweeters sounding just a little ragged/rough (pardon my words, please don't confuse my terms with any audiophile terms)...but I have heard this before...usually cured for me by a piar of Bob and Michael Crites Titanium tweeter diaphragms...on the way by the way...

Best of all...they seem to have the Klipsch Heritage family sound for me despite not really Heritage at all...however they were designed while Mr. Paul was still with us and with the help of many of our friends at the big K in Indianapolis and Hope...just thought I'd share...

should anyone have similar or different experiences or opinions, please share...that's how we learn...

Enjoy the music and cheers!

Bill

I had an RF3 HT package for about 7 years (2000-2007). RF-3s, RC-3, RS-3s, & RSW-12. Very happy and content.

Then I bought KG-1s for around $70 on Ebay. Oiled Oak with cane grilles (my HT system was all black). Very surprised at their sound, the KG-1s were used in my garage for a while, then I moved them into the living room alongside the RF-3s. Sure they didn't have the bass or efficiency, but they have a very true quality to them. Paired with the RSW-12, I loved the sound.

Those KG-1s started the craze for me. I was a Klipsch fan for 7 years, then became a frothing-at-the-mouth junkie, hooked on exploring other models, mostly in the KG line. I've owned KG 1, 1.2, 3.2, 3.5, 4, 4.2, 5.5. They have all passed though me except the 1s , & 4.2s. It was hard to sell the others, but they were sold/given to family or friends (KG 4s sold on this Forum).

I can also thank those KG-1s for getting me into the three-way Heritage line. Found a relatively cheap pair of Decorator Heresys, and Forte II's. Don't have a place for them all, but that's why I'm on this Forum. Therapy.

I have a pair of Walnut KG4's that I bought new at Modern Music in Memphis in the early 80's. I now use them with KG1's for a surround system. I love them and have had a lot of compliments on their sound. I have been thinking of bringing my Heresies upstairs to replace the 4's but just can't seem to do it... Great speaker for the footprint and price.

you're in the WRONG place for therapy...to commiserate, perhaps but therapy...s'cuse me, it's time to go to group...

Haha, well said!

Your group's right here. I do frequent this Forum to feel less crazy. It helps bring it down a notch.

Groom: When I hear deserted island, I start imagining what music I'd bring and what speakers would go with me! To be one with the plants, I'll choose Brian Eno's On Land album.

My name is Ironsave (Actually, my name is Matthew, but in the interest of forum anonymity) and I have been a Klipschoholic for 10 months.......

Seriously, my SO must think I am nuts with all of the speakers I have owned in such a short time.... I do need therapy. [Y]

I have had KG 1.5s, 2.0s, 2.5s, 3.0s and 5.2s. I think the 2.5s are a fantastic sounding balanced speaker. the KG 2s were nice also.

The 1.5s surprised me with their output and overall sound; and the 5.2s were monster bass machines. The 3.0s were also very heritage but were in really rough shape. Still debating refinishing them......

I think the 2s sounded the most "heritage" but the 2.5s were the most accurate and balanced (to me) of them all......

KGs are a fantastic speaker for the money......

I love the KG line and will own them again (if the price is right.) [:D]

I had a pair of KG 3.5s that I used as surrounds for quite a while that worked fantastic. I never did try them out as main speakers but I'm sure they would have performed very, very well.

Interestingly when I sold them through craigslist the guy who bought them was looking for a pair of speakers for $100 but stretched his budget to the $150 that he negotiated down from my $200 asking price. I told him that they were pretty much one of the nicest pairs of speakers he could buy for $150. He was pretty excited to get them.

I just picked up a pair of KG1s in walnut for $75 almost mint condition. Never having heard KGs before, I A/B them with La Scala and a sub, I must say I was very impressed. Of course La Scalas are in a different league but to my ears, I can definetily hear that familiar sound. I was somewhat surprised that I couldn't find more reviews on the KG1 on the web or this forum. Most people are using them as surrounds but not mains. KG1s were only produced for a couple of years so perhaps there's not that many of them out there?

• Like 1

It's nice that one can spend so little money and still enjoy such accurate sound. I too liked the comment about "footprint and price". Not all of us can afford MacIntosh gear and K-Horns (although with CL the stuff just keeps getting closer and closer!). Whem my ship comes in, I'll be searching CL!

I picked up 4 KG1's for 80 bucks and just hung two of them on my boat. NICE! I also have a pair of 3.2's and love them. Currently in the spare bedroom but the plan is for them to end up as rears or in the garage. I have heard the 4's and the 5.2's and both are excellent speakers. Thank you Mr Klipsch!