Need help on RARE Cornwalls

Griff

Ok here's the scoop. I've been a Klipsch dealer for 5 years and I'm always coming across old trades people have. I collected a small invintory of old Cornwalls Bells, K horns ect.. Here's one that I just got that today that I've NEVER seen before!

They are old vintage Cornwalls ser # 1G237 & 1G236.

They're walnut cabs with a light cloth like grill.

The cabs and grills are in PERFECT shape, really.

Here's where it gets strange, the tweeter and mid horns are sideways in the cab and the logo is sideways as well, as if there huge book shelfs! They also have a Klipsch sticker that reads "Cornwall II" on the back. I removed the back and found the following drivers:

K-77, K-55-v, K-33-P,and Type C x-overs which would indicate they are not Cornwall II's. The customer remebers buying them sometime in the early 60's he thinks and he brought the back to the shop to replace one of the woofers. When I pulled off the other back plate the woofer wasn't a K-33-p but a massive vintage crome Electovoice 15" woofer dated 3/1959 and the cross over was changed a bit I have Cornwall II's as well and nothing looks the same between the two.

My question is does anyoe know the vintage or rarity of these? Value? And can I buy that K-33-p to match the other one? I like to here some comments on these gems.

This message has been edited by Griff on 03-29-2002 at 03:37 PM

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Griff,

Welcome to the BB!

The "G" in the serial number dates the speakers to 1968. What you have is the original Cornwall II with the vertically mounted horns...a nice find indeed!

I can't help you with the rest of your questions, only the year of manufacure.

I might think of selling them but the cabinets and grills look like someone had them in bubble wrap for 30 years! There almost to nice to sell. I do have many other pairs of vintage speakers form Klpisch and JBL, and Altec that i collect.

This message has been edited by Griff on 03-29-2002 at 03:38 PM

Griff,

The alnico K33-P woofer has been out of production for a long time. I've seen them on ebay a couple of times. May take a year or so of watching, but one will turn up eventually. My brother had the same situation with a K33-B. I watched ebay for almost a year before the right one showed up - we nailed it. Welcome to the board.

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 03-30-2002 at 08:18 PM

I've seen pictures in a Klipsch brochure of the first Cornwall IIs laying on their side so that the horns were horizontal and the pair was symetrical with the horns to the outside. It was sort of a lowboy configuration. That picture also showed a "normal" pair of Cornwalls. The old Cornwall IIs are rare.

John

You can certainly install 2 new K-33-Es from Klipsch. Al Klappenberger has a crossover designed for the Cornwalls. You MIGHT even get Klipsch to construct a new set of the correct crossovers in the lab, but I doubt that the originals are bad. Are they leaking or are the terminals corroded?

John

Griff,

K33-E's from Klipsch are about $100 each. If your crossovers are tired, you can replace the caps with Hovland Musicaps (high quality, non-metallized, film and foil). I believe you'll need one 4uF cap and one 2uF cap per network. The old caps can be left in place disconnected - piece of cake.

Warm regards,

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 03-31-2002 at 05:45 PM

The x-overs caps and coils are very brittle and dry. I'm sure they could both use updating. And also since the two are slightly different (both type C but the caps are different between the two).

I think updating the two woofers would be smart too. I want to get on these just as hard as my Cornwall II's and not worrie about hurting something.

Okay, I'm a little lost now. What exactly is the difference between a "Cornwall" and a "Cornwall II?" I have a pair of Cornwalls I bought new in 1974, which would make them 6 years newer than the Cornwall IIs mentioned here or the one which just showed up on ebay. Mine have the vertical horns and dual ports in a mirror image. (I'd take one apart to find out what the crossovers are, but I'm feeling a little indolent today.)

Thanks

Capt'n Bob

There are "Corwnall 2" and "Cornwall II" speakers! Yours are "Cornwall 2" which means "vertical horn." This was an option in the late 60's through '74 or so.

I think all of the Cornwalls from the early 60's have vertical horns (at least every one I've seen does) and at some time in the mid'late 60's the standard Cornwall became the "horizontal horn" model and the "Cornwall 2" became a custom-order item.

The Cornwall II was the last version, introduced in the 80's--has nothing to do with the "Cornwall 2."

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

I not so sure about name 2 on early Cornwalls.

I think that the early 70,s down was called the Cornwall II. My 68 Cornwall rear sticker clearly shows

The II on the back"CORNWALL II" while my 1960 says Just Cornwall.

So I would say the 80's version is the 2.

The 80's version should be called cornwal 4.

First version =vertical horns with rear port

2nd version =vertical horns front port

3rd version = horizontal horns

4th version = 80's cornwall 2

This message has been edited by khorn58 on 04-04-2002 at 09:35 PM