Monster Receiver "Pioneer"

Boxx

My Pioneer SX-1980 is just now back from a complete restoration. I suppose it is good for another 20 years or so. What a beauty from the age of "bigger is better." These receivers came out in 1978 and had a power rating of 275 w. They were first listed for $1,295.00. A pretty healthy amount in '78.

DSC_0671.jpg Pioneer SX-1980 picture by Boxx44

DSC_0670.jpg Pioneer SX-1980 picture by Boxx44

• 2 weeks later...

That is one gorgeous beast of a receiver Boxx.

Thanks Ben, The fellow that restored it for me works in the "Hill Country" of Texas, outside of Austin. He is a wizard at what he does. He restored a Pioneer 1250 for me, back in the spring, and will be doing a full restoration on two Mac pieces that I have this fall.

• 2 weeks later...

The fellow that restored it for me works in the "Hill Country" of Texas, outside of Austin. He is a wizard at what he does.

Hey Boxx, would you be kind enough to share his name with me? I have an SX-1980 too and it's starting to act up a little bit. I only run Klipsch with it and you really can't turn it up more than about 1/3 of the way without blowing your ears off. Running a CD player through it is unbelievable, but the phono pre-outs are a little weak. I wouldn't give mine up for anything. Your is very nice - the only one that I've seen with rack handles and I've seen quite a few.

The fellow that restored it for me works in the "Hill Country" of Texas, outside of Austin. He is a wizard at what he does.

Hey Boxx, would you be kind enough to share his name with me? I have an SX-1980 too and it's starting to act up a little bit. I only run Klipsch with it and you really can't turn it up more than about 1/3 of the way without blowing your ears off. Running a CD player through it is unbelievable, but the phono pre-outs are a little weak. I wouldn't give mine up for anything. Your is very nice - the only one that I've seen with rack handles and I've seen quite a few.

Hi CapZark.... I'lll send you a PM this evening with the info. Boxx...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi Boxx, i have a 1980 that i am looking to restore. Can you give me the name of your guy that did your set ? Thanks Steve

Yes, I can... I'll send you a pm tomorrow with all of the info.... Boxx