What happened to klipsch??

Sinatra

I went to the wiz the other day to listen to some speakers and ask the employees questions to which they did not know the answer lol. I found a klipsch power tower from the reference series I believe. It sounded nothing like the sound i am used to from my KG's. I seems that klipsch has gone downhill. I hear that klipsch used to sell in places like Harvey Electronics, along with brand names like Martin Login and Vienna Acoustic. Now there in the wiz with a much lower price sticker along with a much lower quality. Don't take me wrong i LOVE klipsch. But does anyone think they have gone a little downhill?

-Sinatra

Klipsch is still sold at many premium stores -- Carlin Audio in Dayton is one.

The powered towers you heard (RP3 & RP5) are not made anymore. I would imagine if the subs were not set correctly they might sound less than perfect.

The RB5's have been very well received with several postive reviews within the audiophile community.

The RF3's were the best received speaker by audio consumers in 2000 and Klipsch sold tons.

The new line does not sound like the old stuff - which is why I bought Klipsch after listening to Magnepans for 10 years.

You did not say which towers you heard -- but the RP3 originally retailed for $1500 and the RP5 for $2000. Not 'cheap' by my standards. If you saw a 'low price' it is because they are discontinued models.

Your post annoyed me. I compared the $800 RB5's to speakers costing $1500 and more. It dusted everything I heard.

If you like that old horn sound -- buy Heritage.

------------------

dean

This message has been edited by deang on 03-30-2002 at 07:53 PM

Klipsch went downhill? Give me a break

The RF-7's,RF-5's and RC-7 are great speakers,they outperform the KLF series in many respects(detail and slam,yes these are fast and have a snap I heard only from the B&W 801).

And the new RSW subs are the best subwoofers Klipsch ever made.The smallest being the RSW10 and it sounds way better then the LF-10 or any previous Klipsch sub.While the RSW line does not have SVS,Velodyne or Sunfire output down very low(25Hz and down)the RSW's are great subs .

Nothing is wrong with Klipsch,Klipsch should even think about a RF-10!Yes RF-10 with a built in RSW15 in each tower.I would be the first buyer

I never owned as much Klipsch,they must be doing something right.As a Dynaudio fanatic Klipsch won me over for HT(the new R series won me over).

Klipsch keep the good work

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Any company, ESPECIALLY car companies, have good and bad phases. I think the RP series just didn't work well. Also, Klipsch had some Hyper-Woofer reference subwoofer out for about 6 months (what was it called?) and that flopped.

RB-5 - Well, they beat ANYTHING up to almost $2,000

RF-3 - That is A LOT of speaker for the money

So, I would listen to the newest Klipsch gear (if you haven't already) and pass judgement after that.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Frank,the KG line and the RP's are two completely different speakers, by design.Both have their strengths and weakness's.One better for music(KG),the other for HT,IMO.

What KG's do you have Sinatra?

Keith

I have no doubt in my mind that the new klipsch subs sound great. I own the RSW 10 and am very impressed by it. Maybe this idea came from the fact that i really can't find klipsch around here. THe places i go to are Audio Den and Harveys. Then I go to others like PC Richard, circut city, best buy and then finally the wiz which is the only one that sells klipsch. I didn't say they sounded BAD, just different. I own KG 4.5s ... I love them. Sorry If I annoyed anyone, its just somethin that was on my mind.

-Sinatra

The new direction Klipsch took with the R series is a good one,for the company as the R series sell very well.This helps Klipsch and this way they can maybe re release some classic speakers like the Cornwalls(I would buy a set,heard them and I now understand why so many audiophiles like Mobile rave about them).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Sorry I got testy Sinatra - I was out of line

Hey Ears - having heard the Cornwalls and owning the RF7's -- how would you describe the differences?

As far as comments to the effect that one kind of speaker is better suited for HT and another for music -- well, I'm not buying into that.

A speaker should be accurate. If it is -- it will do both equally well.

------------------

dean

Heard the legendary CornBreadWallz only a few times and mostly with Jazz.The Cornwalls are more delicate speakers,not as agressive as the RF-7 can be,voices sound a bit more true to my taste.Bass is nothing like the RF-7 but packs a punch.

Still great speakers,but for HT my RF-7 sre still my choice.For music and tube gear,no doubt the Cornwalls are ideal.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Are Cornwalls actually ideal in their stock state? I have a set and fini has two sets I have heard, seems like they all have a problem which needs to be dealt with, eg. a very strident mid/high which overpowers the bass and produces an almost irritating cringing response in one's ears if the volume is turned up into the louder realms. Having heard mdeneens custom Altec boxes, I know things do not have to be this way.

Tubes do not necessarily remedy this. I have begun to experiment with this (Dyna Pas3 and Eico HF-35 monoblocks). Some recording sound fine, however, those screeching trumpet sections in a Perez Prado LP do not sound good and are sometimes irritating--and I know it is the Cornwalls because I have heard this same music sound fine on other systems.

I have encountered audiophiles who finally gave up on Cornwalls because they felt the problem was ultimately not fixable. I have a major investment in these Cornwalls (based on the raves by such fans as one would find in this forum). The question is how much better are they going to be if I throw more money at them (ALKs for example)?

I have heard discussion about various dampening techniques and many have purchased the ALK crossovers (~$500).

Mine are still stock, but I really need to do something. Any recommendations from other Cornwall users who have had to deal with this issue. How much does the ALK crossover help with this particular mid/high harshness? Are they able to overcome this inherent tendency of the Cornwall horns.

-tubed and goofyfooted

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 04-02-2002 at 11:37 AM

I'm far from an expert but common sense would dictate that the modifications often discussed do indeed make this speaker a pleasure to own -- how else can we explain those who refuse to listen to anything else.f>s>

------------------

S Frontiers/Anthem CD-1f>s>

Cary AE-25 SuperAmpf>s>

Sonic Frontiers Line 1f>s>

Marantz DV-7010f>s>

Klipsch LF-10f>s>

Klipsch RF7'sf>s>

MIT/Monsterf>s>

Toshiba 36"f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>s>c>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

This message has been edited by deang on 04-02-2002 at 11:19 AM

deang,

Yes, that did cross my mind and why am inclined to persist. I just wasn't sure if all those who are happy with Cornwalls play their music with volume sometimes, or if they listen to Cuban conjuntos with screaming trumpets or charangas with piercing flutes, usually on not the best vinyl.

-dezied and lucyed

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

Are Cornwalls actually ideal in their stock state? I have a set and fini has two sets I have heard, seems like they all have a problem which needs to be dealt with, eg. a very strident mid/high which overpowers the bass and produces an almost irritating cringing response in one's ears if the volume is turned up into the louder realms.

Tubes do not necessarily remedy this. I have begun to experiment with this (Dyna Pas3 and Eico HF-35 monoblocks). Some recording sound fine, however, those screeching trumpet sections in a Perez Prado LP do not sound good and are sometimes irritating--and I know it is the Cornwalls because I have heard this same music sound fine on other systems.

I have encountered audiophiles who finally gave up on Cornwalls because they felt the problem was ultimately not fixable. I have a major investment in these Cornwalls (based on the raves by such fans as one would find in this forum). The question is how much better are they going to be if I throw more money at them (ALKs for example)?

I have heard discussion about various dampening techniques and many have purchased the ALK crossovers (~$500).

Mine are still stock, but I really need to do something. Any recommendations from other Cornwall users who have had to deal with this issue. How much does the ALK crossover help with this particular mid/high harshness? Are they able to overcome this inherent tendency of the Cornwall horns.

-tubed and goofyfooted

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

In my experiences, Cornwalls do benefit from better amplification. What kind of electronics are you running with them? Personally, I didn't hear the harshness that people have mentioned. Maybe my ears just don't work as well as others' do. The best sound I got from my Cornwalls was with an ARC VT-50 power amp. Vocals sounded amazinglingly real. Horn instruments sounded like real horn instruments. The biggest weakness I found with them was the cabinet resonances at higher volumes.

I love the sound of my Cornwalls. I did think that the mids and highs were aggressive but then I added some SV subwofers and all is good now. The added bass really helped to bring everything into balance. Now a lot of people will balk at the idea of adding subwoofers for 2 channel listening. To them I say "stuff it" get the woofers and enjoy the soundSmile.gif

Laters,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

Clipped,

Strident Cornwalls? Odd. My Cornwalls sound smooth and balanced - almost mellow in the highs. Could be a problem with strident recordings? Also, some people do not like the sound of exponential horns (only fix is to get another set of speakers). BTW, I've definitely cranked my Cornwalls.

Regards,

Andy

Andy,

Are your Cornwalls stock? I may investigate the dynamat damping as well as the ALK crossovers.

True, some of my recording sound much better than others with the Cornwalls and tubes at this point are a slight improvement but not enough of a fix for me when it comes to large brass section crescendos and piercing flute solos. It will all come together, just a matter of time.

-wetted and damped

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

Actually, I think if you were to look at most audio shops, Klipsch is probably the one line that most are likely to carry.

Last week I was TDY (military-speak for temporary duty) for a class and to kill some time I demoed some of the new Klipsch speakers....definately do NOT sound like the Klipsch of old. Excellent image and soundstage. Vocals are pretty forward but not nearly as pronounced as older Klipsch that I have heard. I think that they should make long time horn nay-sayers rethink their positions.

I think build quality and asthetically, they are better than ever.

just my opinion

Troy

deang,if you could listen to a complete KSP speaker setup beside your RF-7's,you would better understand my comment.The RF's have the sizzle.The KSP's don't. The RF's provide sufficient bass for most music.The KSP's provide much more bass.In fact,your comment was exactly right concerning the RP's.Adjusted incorrectly they will sound bass heavy, or 'muddy'.Spend a little time with setup,plug in a good movie and turn 'er up to reference level and the words 'strident'or 'bright' will not come to mind.Why would you need a 15" 400 watt sub for music?

Keith

The Ear, I have to disagree and vehemently I might add about your comments regarding the Legends. I listened to KLF30s and RF7s side by side. RF7s LACK detail comparatively. I listened to indentical music and movie scenes in my home setup, first using the RF7s, then my curent KLF30s. Granted, it's just one man's opinion but I wish Klipsch would put some money into a new, updated legend series. PLEASE, PLEASE, OH PLEASE go bakc to a three way design. Just my two cents worth.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

RSW-15 subwoofer

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 side surrounds

KSW-200 subwoofer

KG-3.5 rear surrounds

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV09

Pioneer Elite PDF19

RCA DTC100 DSS/HDTV

Sony Playstation 2