Got my EICO HF-81 finally

No Disc

Thanks Allan for that history, it gives me some perspective. Think I will wait until the DynaMystery Amp is finished and the PAS 3 preamp is also tweaked with some mods, then I will try the dynamat damping technique. After all that, I may or may not opt for the ALK x-ovrs. This gives me some time to decide. What kind of music do you mostly put through the Cornwalls?

Vinyl and/or CD?

cwm9.gif and cwm26.gif

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 04-02-2002 at 09:07 PM

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where does one get some of this dynamat from ?? I think it might tame my heresy's a bit also thinking about filling them with fiberglass part way. They sound great but you can never be satisfied !!!

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Now where exactly do I put this rope caulk ?? I've read about this before but never did exactly understand the concept.

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Craig,

Just because Kelly got defensive doesn't mean he is paranoid. I think his reactions were completely natural.

As far as the 'Army of three' thing goes. I'm sure he felt, and still feels -- that your perception of the sound is biased by your opinion regarding the design of the circuit. I'm just guessing here.

He probably felt bad you weren't happy and deep down DID feel responsible.

I think your assessment of him is off the mark - IMOSmile.gif

What's wrong with stong opinions? The fact that he places emphasis on this -- shows his openess to the opinion of others. He has his mind made up -- but I don't ever recall him slamming someone for disagreeing.

I like all you guys -- what an awesome site this has become because of you. However -- I would have much preferred an Army of Four, as opposed to an Army of Three.

This sucks.

------------------

S Frontiers/Anthem CD-1f>s>

Cary AE-25 SuperAmpf>s>

Sonic Frontiers Line 1f>s>

Marantz DV-7010f>s>

Klipsch LF-10f>s>

Klipsch RF7'sf>s>

MIT/Monsterf>s>

Toshiba 36"f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>s>c>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

Allan,

My listening habits are very close to yours, almost identical. Do you know of any labels that are pressing vinyl as well as CD's of more current releases? As an example, I recently purchased a 2 CD set by Kieth Jarrett, "Whisper Not" on the ECM label and though it's a good CD, I wish I could have it on vinyl.

Klipsch out.

Jazman--

In a word-- "no."

The only "good" vinyl jazz issued these days are reissues from Classic and Speaker's Corner.

Unless you like Diana Krall and Jancintha (or whatever her name is!). I think they have new stuff on vinyl.

Plus, I'm STILL trying to figure out Sonny Stitt and Bud Powell and Art Pepper and Ben Webster and Hampton Hawes and Johnny Hodges and Bill Perkins and John Lewis and Red Mitchell and Charles Mingus and Buddy Collette and Teddy Edwards and John Coltrane and Charlie Mariano and Jimmy Smith and Jackie McLean and Stan Getz and Jimmy Giuffre and Jim Hall and Bud Shank and Thelonious Monk and Miles Davis and Harold Land and and and and and and and . . . .

Who the heck has time for Diana Krall for crying out loud!

Best bet for collecting jazz vinyl is NOS or Near Mint examples from the numerous dealers and stores. Euclid Records or Dusty Groove are a couple that can be found online. Mosaic records put out numerous sets on vinyl and now CD. They are highly desirable, IMO, but used (mint) sets are sought after and command high prices on eBay. Regular visits to stores such as Amoeba records (Berkeley, Los Angeles, San Francisco) will turn up amazing finds and often be reasonably priced. (I found a mint boxed set of Jarrett's Sun Bear Concerts for $19.95 (10 lps?) .There are reissue companies that still put out vinyl if I am not mistaken (Fantasy?) and that guy who reissues the Mode catalog, I forgot the name of his comany......these things are easy to find through web searching and also what about Japanese reissues, for awhile they were doing some high quality stuff. Admittedly used vinyl can be a crap shoot, but sometimes this is true even with new vinyl. I have tried to convince myself that some of the surface noise and other distortions are part of the experience. Mosaic still makes available the Benedetti recording of Bird, talki about low fidelity. Also, as a Bird completist, I have CDs of rare Bird that is 80% noise (including one of only three versions by him on record of Round Midnight). Much of the best Bud Powell is on funky recordings someone lifted off their radio. Having been used to listening to important jazz on compromised recordings paved the way for my tolerance of used vinyl which is sometimes slightly compromised. When I hunger for a clean beautifully recorded session, I put on one of my mint examples or some of the many Mosaic sets I have on vinyl. I also listen to old Cuban material some of which is poorly recorded or pressed. It is the poor recordings which are the ones that sound worse on the Cornwalls than they did on junky speakers which masked everything. I am seriously considering an alternate set of speakers just for listening to the bad recordings. Sounds crazy.

-marianoed and mainied

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 04-03-2002 at 01:56 PM

Clipped and Shorn... I missed your movie thread so that I started another one under the General section until you can find the time to stump us all. I never forget who is "el profesor."

But, on to vinyl! Enjoyed the above post... and it brought to mind a tune by Dave Brubeck that featured the drums of Joe Morello in a very unusual time... that sounded more like a fini carpentry measurement than a musical beat. It might of been "Far More Drums" or at least been on that album. At the end of the tune, there's a nervous guffaw... Morello was that happy to get through the unorthodox rhythm. It seems that the moment was commented upon on the jacket.

Your post also reminded me of the low quality alternative sound system that I picked up here and there... the only good piece was the turntable (to protect the vinyl) but everything else added enough coloration to smother the flaws and let more music out!

Now, the worst conditions I have found have been on wax... in this case, wax cylinders played on an old Edison with a Morning Glory horn. Love those horns! It had been stored away in a barn on the family farm... and covered with hay... and I found it when I heard a crunch of a cow's foot crushing a cylinder. I restored it and presented it to my grandfather who had misplaced it for decades. Great horn intro for a curious ten year old!

I also found it interesting while listening to the "Buena Vista Social Club" to reflect upon how much it reminded me of my live hanging out at Preservation Hall in New Orleans. I had recently returned from France where my art habit fed my other habits and had a friend who raised and educated his family as a street artist there and so I was accepted at the Hall as something other than a tourist.

And speaking about off beat Jazz... what do you think of the Dizzy Gillespie and the United Nation's Band DVD? It really benefits from its Afro-Cuban roots and has some of the finest conch shell jazz I have ever heard. -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-03-2002 at 02:35 PM

Mike Lindsey

All I see in the photo is some white foam like paper am I missing something where's the Tape caulk ?

Also am I wasting my time. My Heresy's are 1985 with the plastic horns no metal there.

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 04-03-2002 at 03:52 PM

deang

I would rather have Mobile here too !! I will say it one more time no one told him to leave it was his choice. Hell I hardly said anything bad to him. I was just the straw I guess ! Also he had no reason to feel guilty about my purchase at all. I told him a couple times that I couldn't loose with the thing and I didn't.

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Craig,

Look closely at Mike's photo. The big horn is wrapped it rope caulk. First he applied the caulk (it is probably ~1/2" wide "putty like" stuff that comes rolled up (kind of like a tape measure is rolled up in it's case). Once he applied the caulk to the horn he mashed it down with his fingers to make a tight seal with the horn. It still looks a bit "ribbed" but most of the ~1/2" "ribs" are flattened.

I'll take a photo of the actual caulk as it comes from the store so you can get a better idea of what it looks like.

Don't bother taking a photo I know what rope caulk is ! It just doesn't look like it in the photo I guess I didn't look close enough LOL !!!!

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

I guess that is Rope caulk it looked just like white fiberglass blanket material LOL !!! He did a nice job. How much of the stuff does it take to do a pair ? Also is it worth doing it to a set that had plastic horns ?

Craig

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Ed and Craig,

That is the second layer that you are looking at. The first layer was smoothed out on top of the horns. The second layer was also pressed but not quite as thorough as the first layer. Craig, if your horns aren't ringing I wouldn't bother with this mod...

Mike

Well they are slightly harsh in the extreme highs at times But over all they sound nice. I would bet that this mod does some changes to the entire top end sound of the speakers ? Am I right ? Maybe it wouldn't be a great idea for mine.

Craig

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 04-03-2002 at 06:03 PM