Should I buy a new-in-crate 2010 Klipschorn pair for $4.5K?

fivethunder

Hello all,

I am a first time caller, long time listener. I had my first pair of Klipsch in 1984, and always have a couple pairs around the house since.

My brother bought a brand new 2010 Klipschorn pair recently, but have to sell them for various reasons. I have a chance to buy this new-in-crate pair for $4,500.

Should I go for it from a good-deal standpoint? I think I know most of the Khorns pros and cons.

I currently have Heresy and Quartet. I also have back-loaded horns and single-driver speakers.

Thank you very much for your advices.

depends.

if you're going to keep them, then by all means yes, yes hell yes.

if you're going to sell them down the line, be aware that used khorns tend to trend down from your possible purchase price as they age.

really, that is a screaming deal, in my opinion.

depends.

if you're going to keep them, then by all means yes, yes hell yes.

if you're going to sell them down the line, be aware that used khorns tend to trend down from your possible purchase price as they age.

really, that is a screaming deal, in my opinion.

I agree... go for it.. excellent buy..

YES! if you have good corners and plan to keep and listen to them yourself. NO if you plan only to re-sell them. Let someone else buy and enjoy that new set of legendary speakers at that good price. If you do buy and keep them, after living with them for a while consider upgrading to ALK trachorns and crossovers. They really do make a remarkable speaker better. Do a search of my posts for an account of my experience with such.

Thank you all for your feedback and encouragement.

gnatnoop, Boxx, Daddy Dee, dtel, DTLongo. Yes, I will keep them, probably forever, if I buy them.

psg, Ironsave, seti. Thank you.

tom b. 57, a fellow North West owner, coffee is on me anytime you are in town.

There is a 80% chance that I will buy this pair. We will put this pair on Audiogon for a couple weeks, no shipping, pickup only. After that period, it is mine.

Why not jump on it right away? A few minor problems:

- My family room is big enough for the KHorns, no corner. The Klipsch Quartet is there now, great big sound. A pair of Cornwall was there for a few years.

- My dedicated listening room has good corners but is too small (13x12). What do you think about the size? I know it is doable, but not optimized.

- Finally, if the KHorns moves in, I have no room for my other speakers that I also love in that small room.

If any of you in the Pacific Northwest or northern California who has smaller Heritage (La Scala II, Cornwall III, even Heresy III) we could do a swap.

Again, thank you very much to you all.

Five Thunder

If the family room is an otherwise go space for music, you can do a false corner without much work and to great effect.

Will you be in this house "forever"?

13x12 is small for Khorns. You're unlikely to hear the bass develop like it could in a larger space.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello TheEvan,

Thank you for the suggestion. My family room has one corner, which is occupied by a triangle fireplace, so the false corner would not work.

I realize that 13x12x9 is small, so I have to do near field listening, :-) a giant pair of headphone.

I have just put them on AudiogoN. If there is no buyer after a month, they are mine.