New CD DVD player opinions please

emmvette

My trusty Denon DVM-4800 broke yesterday [:'(] and I need to find a replacement. I don't own a blue ray player, I've considered the OPPO since everybody recommends it. However, I'm really not wanting to spend a whole lot of money. I looked at Craig's List and don't see anything locally that is better than a $100 player from walmart. I use the player with a 56" rear projection TV with DVDs 10% of the time and for two channel listening of CDs 90% of the time. I mix around components, but usually, there is a Denon AVR-2802 pushing a pair of Heresy speakers, and a sunfire sub with movies. Otherwise, I switch out and use it with a pair of Cornwall IIs. I've never watched a movie on Blue Ray but I'm guessing it might be time to move in that direction. Here are the options I'm considering:

1. $300, Denon DBP-2010CI,Reference Blu-ray/DVD/CD Player, it doesn't seem to play DVD audio; I only have (3) DVD-A anyway
http://usa.denon.com/DBP-2010CI_Lit609.pdf
Does anybody have any reasons not to get this, or maybe some suggestions on getting something different.

2. For $300, Oppo BDP-80, but it says it is not recommended for big screen TVs and it doesn't have a dedicated two channel output
3. For $500, Oppo BDP-83, sounds like the way to go, but you can see I'm hesitating on the $$$

Opinions, please?

Emmvette,

I too am considering the Denon DBP-2010CI. $300.00 seems to be a good price for this player. You may also want to consider the Marantz BD-7004. It is the same player as th Denon but with a few Marantz tweaks.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARBD7004/Marantz/BD7004-BD-Live-available-Blu-ray/DVD/CD-Player/1.html

Bill

• 1 month later...

To close the story, I tried a Marantz CD5003, which had an issue reading the CD so it was returned. I also didn't think it sounded any better than an old Sony cheapy I had laying around. I ended up taking the play to Chicago to the Denon certified repair shop and for $100 I have my player back, as good as new. I am happy with the player and not to have had to spend more money.

3. For $500, Oppo BDP-83, sounds like the way to go, but you can see I'm hesitating on the $$$

So am I. OTOH, until I can get that one I'll do without BluRay as I have an OPPO DVD. My opinion is that the top of the line OPPO's are the cheapest thing you can get that is threatened only by things so expensive I don't even bother to lust after them. Just relax and enjoy 98% of what any amount of money will buy.

Universal flash chip would be an outstanding idea unless Sony gets a hold of it and BetaMax'es or SACD's it to death. SDHD and similar are already cost effective at sizes more than adequate even for 1080P, and will be essentially free in a couple of years. Pretty much obsolescent resistant for a while. A spec where you can purchase read/writes and players that were trully universal in format, audio and video, would revolutionize the recording business. Perfect way to simply blur the line between streaming and hard copies. OTOH, if you miss vinyl covers for the little CD jewel cases, at postage sized album may really bum you out. I suppose we will see soon.

Dave

• Moderators

Just got this one about 2 weeks ago, Samsung, CD's sound better than my now dead Pioneer and DVD's also look and sound better, plus BD and wireless internet radio is built in.

It's connected to a 65" Toshiba rear projection. 1080i

I got it here for this price,$204

http://www.onecall.com/product/Samsung/BD-C6500/Blu-ray/_/R-103000

Just another opinion [8-)]

I better hang on to my Parliament Funkadelic poster. .

Well, given the "imagination" of today's music industry it probably won't happen, but a general standard for a universal media storage device SHOULD include a direct internet link to cover art, notes, technical data....and funkadelic posters.

Yeah, I am wishing...but it could happen. Heck, bats might fly outta my butt.

Dave

Well, given the "imagination" of today's music industry it probably won't happen, but a general standard for a universal media storage device SHOULD include a direct internet link to cover art, notes, technical data....and funkadelic posters.

Dave

Well, SanDisk has already came out with something called "slotMusic", which is basically SD cards preloaded with MP3s of an album (at least 256 Kbps). It is DRM-free, thankfully. Would be nice if they could use a lossless codec, but at least MP3s are pretty universal, whereas even the lossless codecs are not (although FLAC seems to be getting to be more popular).

Being curious, I tried to go to the official "www.slotmusic.org" site, but it keeps timing out.

The current selection seems pretty paltry as well, though. But hey, this is at least a promising start, though.

Dave

Well, SanDisk has already came out with something called "slotMusic", which is basically SD cards preloaded with MP3s of an album (at least 256 Kbps). It is DRM-free, thankfully. Would be nice if they could use a lossless codec, but at least MP3s are pretty universal, whereas even the lossless codecs are not (although FLAC seems to be getting to be more popular).

Being curious, I tried to go to the official "www.slotmusic.org" site, but it keeps timing out.

The current selection seems pretty paltry as well, though. But hey, this is at least a promising start, though.

Well, this is turning into a hijack, but the originator doesn't seem to mind.

The whole point of a truly universal hard storage format will be to choose a form factor, let's say SD, that is already pretty pervasive. Then, you have to have the hardware companies go along. Providing softtware to deal with wav, mp3, flac, various video codecs, etc, really isn't a big deal. The machine just has to recognize it and send it to the right place. None of it is rocket science and all is basically done by advanced media computer users on a daily basis. However, it doesn't get to the "average" user who simply wants to purchase and play, whatever it may be from vintage Beatles to a 7.1 108P movie.

We have the technology, we just need the imagination to market it. All these companies are used to coming up with something like the cassette and hoping it will become the standard and they can profit from it. Technology no longer supports that as an option for media, so they simply aren't doing anything at all. However, that is costing sales as nobody wants to buy big ol discs and such when it all fits on little chips or drives.

Again, I really don't see them waking up and getting with the program, but if they don't we are stuck with some really archiac technology well beyond its time. In the case of vinyl, that's cool. Not so much with CD's and video...

Dave