La-scala driver questions

CJN

I am in the process of "re-doing/modifying" an old pair of La scala's. However, I cannot locate the tweeters.

1. What are some options other than Ebay?

2. What are some options for improving the tweeter response?

I read on another thread about JBL 2404's which I have a pair. Would they work in this instance?

3. If I am upgrading the tweeter what about the midrange driver? (k-55-v) What are some options there?

lots of questions...sorry

thanks in advance!

I don't know how outlandish or expensive you want to go... so, do a lookup on "JubeScala" and read what you can.

I would put the sound of the JubeScala over stock or modified stock anyday (I've owned LaScalas for 31 years)

JubeScala would mean getting rid of the midrange and tweeter on the Lascala and swapping their use for either the Klipsch K510 (which COULD fit inside the LaScala if you did some cutting) or the balls to the wall huge K402 which would have to sit on top. This is what I'm doing for a center channel (K402 on top).

Takes it to a 2-way speaker and you would then use an active crossover for it. Nice thing is, virtually everything has already been engineered so it's simply a matter of throwing money at the various parts and putting them together.

G'day CJN,

I've tried 3 different tweeters with a few different networks.

The K-77 is the one I like the least.

The K-77-M sounds better, but it was just to in my face when I was using the AL-3 or the ALK universal networks. It was a good match with the ES5800 although I still took a few dB's out of them.

The CT-125 seemed to be a good match for the ALK universals and also the ES4000, I found it to quite with the ES5800.

As far as my ears goes the CT-125 is the least sensitive followed by the K-77, and the most sensitive is the K-77-M.

I've never heard the K-55-V, I have only ever had the M's is mine and they sound OK. I did coat the K-400 with some sound defusion material.

Good luck in your choice.

CJN,

The really big bottleneck in the LaScala is the K400 midrange squawker horn. Replace it with an Altec 811b off eBay or, better yet, one of Dave Harris's FasTrac horns. The K55 is not a bad driver, but if you do replace it, the JBL 2426 is a good choice, but will also require that you change the network. The Klipsch stock networks DEPEND on the K55 to work correctly. I personally believe the tweeter is the last item on the upgrade list but I like the JBL if you can find a good one and especially if you already have a set! I don't think JBL makes them any more. You might need an attenuator on it though. The network is the second priority unless you have the "AL". I would get rid of that ASAP!

BTW: Damping the outside of the K400 horn as 66hr suggested is a very good way to prove to yourself that the K400 needs to go. You WILL hear an improvement when you do that. I did it early-on as well. I used generic "Dynamat", a material you can get in auto supply stores, like Pep Boys, for sticking under floor mats.

Al K