Wanted -- One Walnut Belle

Connor

Hello all

Is anyone else looking for one of these as a center channel, besides me? I would be wiling to fly/drive/deliver/whatever, if someone splits the cost of all this with me. Of course I would hope we could find some in Mint Condition.

Let me know.

C

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Connor, I have one I'm using as a center channel and I love it. You're definitely on the right track. My center channel journey started with the KT/LCR (good), Heresy (better), Belle (best).

I found mine in Philadelphia in less than mint shape but it cleaned up nicely, esp. after a re-grilling.

Keep your eyes open, and if you can find one within driving distance, go for it!

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

AES AE-25 "Superamp" (in temporary retirement)

AES AE-3 Pre-amp (in temporary retirement)

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

What are your mains right now? There is a singular Cornwall II from 1966 (vertical horns) out on eBay right now. They are located in the DC area. Here is the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1343796181

I just noticed the same guy has a singular Belle (really beat up) for sale as well. Here is the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1343791006

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 04-03-2002 at 07:30 AM

Mike

Just as an aside, as I look at this pitiful Belle, so much in need of TLC, I find myself thinking about what I would do to a cat that I found ruining my speaker like this.

All sorts of non-PC, non-approved-by-PETA, things come to mind.

C

If a cat uses it's nails, it's an "eye for an eye" and that's easy. If it urinates on your stuff...well, that's a pickle. I'd be more concerned about the blown woofer. My cat has never been able to turn the volume knob on MY preamp yet. BTW, nobody gets the Mabel Walnut thing or am I just being too much of a Cornwall?? LOLOL.cwm12.gif

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 04-03-2002 at 05:52 PM

Good luck, Connor! I've been looking for an oak/oil belle for over a year. Seems like most that come up for sale are walnut, though. Plus, it seems they're always on one coast or the other--long drive from SW Missouri.

------------------

JDM

I am a youngster (22) so I don't know what is so special about these old speakers. We have a pair of Heresys II's they sound great, but not any better then my KLF 30's.

If the Khorns, Belle, Lascala, and Cornwalls are that good why don't they make them anymore?

Also, you said you wanted it as a center channel. I thought they were like over 100 pounds. Where would you place it?

Thanks for the history lesson,

Tony

------------------

Fronts----KLF 30's

Center----RC-3 II

Receiver--JVC RX-9010V

Rears-----Quintets

Sub-------RSW-15 + Basscube 15

TV--Panasonic tau 32 HDTV

DVD------XBOX

Why don't they make them anymore???

You may as well ask, "Why don't they make the Pontiac GTO anymore?" or "Why, when I look at new houses, the trim doesn't quite fit just right, or the cabinets hang straight, or the doors latch snugly?"

There is a humongous lack of pride in creation these days, and it makes me somewhat sad to see. Not that there are not plently of examples of quality craftsmanship around, I would just say that you would be safe in assuming that it was not the norm across the various large corporate entities out there.

I know that if I find a one of these speakers that are 15-20 years old, I am going to be happy with them, looking at them, listening to them -- knowing that I have an investment there, not some knock-off piece of crap that could have been made in any 3rd rate copy shop.

Further, who am I to say what corporate nickel and diming wrought the demise of the kind of master craftsmanship that results in products like this? I know that it is not a good trend, and I for one, will patronize companies and products that embody what I believe in.

Thus endeth the history lesson 101, with

Still no leads on this one speaker.....

By the way, I will be placing it in the middle of a 25-ft wall, between the K-horns (there is a freight elevator in the building) cwm24.gif

j-malotky thanks for the offer-

I do not doubt that they sound great.

The thing I don't understand is why they don't make them anymore if they were that good. Is Conner right when he said todays craftsmanship is not good anymore.

It just doesn't make sense to me why a company would stop making its signature speakers. It is not like they would not sell.

Tony

The Heritage Series is still made. Production was restarted this month after about a year's hiatus for a driver replacement and crossover redesign. I think most of the time was to allow the OEM to do some R&D on the drivers and to let its ownership settle down.

John

NEW INFO:

I am driving from Boston to DC next weekend, so I have ample opportunity to pick this thing up, provided I find one in the metro NE. I am now calling around the second-hand audio dealers up and down the east coast.

Anyone have any ideas, dealer-wise, about places I can try? I could hit Philly, NY, Baltimore (or their suburbs)

Can you tell that I am getting antsy looking? Fun though.

Smile.gif

F

Tony,

Large speakers are a dying breed. Gone are the days when it was considered prestigious by your average consumer to have a huge pair of speakers in the living room.

People these days want small speakers that disappear in the room - witness the success of the small Bose cubes (in terms of number of sales). However, some people still realize big speakers sound the best (overall) and appreciate the no compromise designs of the larger speakers, such as Heritage Klipsch.

Klipsch would jump for joy if your AVERAGE consumer wanted big ole Cornwalls or Khorns - they know the quality of the design and sound! However, Klipsch must make money and meet the demands of their average public - small, chic, home theater type speakers (two channel is another dying breed).

It comes down to supply and demand. Remember when the mucle car era ended? Same deal.

Regards,

Andy

Andy

You hit the nail on the head.

The only people these days who have big heritage speakers are the people who really appreciate them. I had completely forgot the "prestige" or "status symbols" speakers use to be. I had friends who had gigantic speakers with big chrome rings arround each driver and they sounded like crap. But they sure were BIG..

I must be getting old. I love my big speakers and big fast cars..... Well at least I still don't have BIG hair....

JM

Connorm,

The Belle does not look that bad. Repalcement speakers are preety easy to find on ebay or the 15 could be reconed ($50-100).There is a real good speaker repair/recone shop just out side Boston.Cant rember the name right Now but it should be in the yellow pages under speaker repair.

I have a real interest in the Cornwall the guy with the Belle is selling as it matches the 67 cornwall .I have)I emailed him about shipping the Cornwall through UPS.Still waiting to here back from Him. But if you were to win the belle And I the Corwall maybe we could work A deal On pick .

I live Just out side of Boston.