What do you think of the Yamaha RX-V1900? Worth $590 delivered?

HudsonValleyNoah

I have an 1800 in one of my HT's but only an HTR-5990 in the other (no HDMI.)

I really like the RX-V1800 but it only cost me $450 (used) and I am thinking about the extra $100 to get a new 1900 or keep looking for a used 1800 or 1900 on CL.

I have been looking to replace the 5990 for as long as I have had the 1800 (1 or almost 2 years) and I have not yet seen another in that price range.

That 5990 must be 7 or 8 years old at this point and I really want to retire it.

Do you think I should go for the New RX-V1900 or keep looking for used?

N

PS - the RX-V1900 is coming with a free iPod dock ($99 value?)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

My guess is the used 1800 doesn't pop up very often. I bought mine for $400 in 2008. At that time, I thought it was a steal of a price and it appears so since they are currently being sold on Amazon for $525 (used) and $700 - $850 (new) on Ebay.

Looking at the specs, 1900 has a few additional features (Bluetooth, SRS, HD Radio, and 8pt YPAO). I think if you can get it for $550 with the free iPod dock, that's a good deal. For $25 more than you can get the 1800 on Ebay for brand new, warranty, additional features, iPod dock....

yeah, I say pony up the extra $100 and get it. If you don't use the iPod dock, you can always sell it on Ebay and sell your old receiver and you have an even better deal towards the new 1900.

Thanks guys, I think I am going to do it.

It's a newEgg deal and it's $585 total delivered.

There is a coupon code for the last $65 off th get to the $585 mark w/free shipping.

It's a funny thing, the HTR-5990 that I am looking to replace was my first big purchase from newEgg, all those years ago.

It never gave me a moments problem but, no HDMI has finally worn me out.

The addition of the HD radio might be cool.

Also, I have an old iPod nano from "day 1"; battery is WAY dead but the dock might power it up.

It ought to be cool to see my play-list from 15 years ago...

lol

sell your old receiver and you have an even better deal towards the new 1900.

Funny thing, a few days ago, a fellow I know, approached me (knowing of my audio addiction) and asked me if I ever saw a receiver for around $100 that I should keep him in mind. I told him that I was looking to upgrade the 5990 and when I could move my spare RX-V2500 into place that he could have the HTR-5990 for the $100.

He said that he was expecting a check for $93 in a few days and then would be very glad to get such a nice receiver for $100.

This fellow is recovering from a nasty divorce (among other things) and $100 is a lot of money.

That became more clear to me when a few days later when he told me that the $93 check had to go to an emergency, vehicle repairs.

He said that he was really looking forward to having music again. I guess he lost everything in the divorce.

He said that he was really sorry (for ME) because he could not buy the receiver now...

I think he will accept it if I gift it to him, in the right way.

2 channel music after a long day at work was what he told me that he missed..

Sounds like a proper retirement for my old Yamaha...

• Moderators

I think he will accept it if I gift it to him, in the right way.

2 channel music after a long day at work was what he told me that he missed..

Sounds like a proper retirement for my old Yamaha...

Yeah, it's really cool when we have the opportunity to be a blessing to someone that could really use a blessing. There is no doubt if that is the route you choose to take, that you will as well receive a blessing.

Out with the old and in with the new.

It turns out that the old was an HTR-5890:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200016&CTID=5000400&RLTID=1504&DETYP=RELATION&ATRID=1020&CNTYP=PRODUCT

htr5890_main.gif

And the new one is (as expected) an RX-V1900:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=5016804&CTID=5000300

M_rxv1900.jpg

The RX-V1900 sure makes the extended Heritage Home Theater a lot more easy to use.

But I can't yet seem to get output to zone 2 (to drive the second and third pair of Chorus II's via my Integra 504's.)

I will be calling Yamaha tech support today.

I hope they can explain ZONE 2 to me...

According to the manual, it should work.

But so far, not so much.

N

But I can't yet seem to get output to zone 2 (to drive the second and third pair of Chorus II's via my Integra 504's.)

Noah,

There must be a setting that tells the Yamaha that you are using only it's preamp section for zone2 instead of the internal amps.

Bill