Saw Stop

Guest David H

Due to my recent table saw vs: thumb and index injury, I invested in new table saw that will hopefully prevent this from happening again.

Safety aside its a much nicer saw, and the fence is outstanding.

Check it out

post-24405-13819616718328_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819620744288_thumb.jpg

That thing is really neat! I have never injured myself on a table saw probably because I am scared to death of it! It takes only an instantaneous slip to loose fingers though!

I would normally be skeptical of that sort of thing figuring that it would have to be so sensitive that it would be stopping itself at regular intervals for no reason. That sort of thing could CAUSE accidents. The video clearly shows the break destroying itself when it stops, so it clearly must not be activating without good cause.

I'm impressed!

AL K.

Fingers don't have a cost though.

Absolutely correct. The SawStop was expensive in comparison to other quality cabinet saws, in fact I was happy with my Rigid, but the peace of mind of having the saferty feature is worth it for me.

I am also married, so there was very little chance of me going back into the shop without the SawStop safety feature.

Dave Harris

Dave

Every ounce of prevention counts in todays busy lifestyle...I don't know how serious your accident was, but I do know that you and others will learn from it.

As Al says about fear...It is a healthy thing. Don't assume the stop saw is fool proof.

Dave,

As MechMan and AL said fear is health, but I would one further an call it respect, 38 years ago I lost a finger to miter saw accident everytime I fire up any power equipment I think of the dangers, you are no dought doing the same. I'm glad to see you are back at it, to the rest who work with power tools and have never bitten take heed, like any accident it's only a distracted moment away.

A personal side note, the horns arrived,are installed and sound great. Open, uncluttered, detailed sound.

Tom

Nice saw!!! Hope your hand is healing well.

No-one mentioned it, but "push sticks" (pieces of scrap 2x4 for me) are for anything that's puts my hand anywhere within about 6" on the blade.

Very true Groom, but it's very easy to become so accustomed (sp) to a certain task we forget about the dangers involved. I see it all the time in my trade. (I've seen some doozies).

We must all make a point to remind each other about safety any chance we get. I'm sure Dave does not agree at this time...but a finger is a small price to pay. It could have been much much worse.

Hope you heal up well Dave, Don't mean to sound harsh.

Dave does not agree at this time...but a finger is a small price to pay. It could have been much much worse.

Actually I could not agree more. In the grand scheme of things the injury I received is insignifigant, compared to the damage that could have occurred.

I certainly hope I have learned my lesson; but I am a guy, and by definition men are physically incapable of learning from other peoples mistakes.

Dave

Fini the saw stop is a fantastic saw, the peace of mind from the safety feature is nice, but the quality of the saw is excellent, I needed to use my Rigid saw one day last week, and I was dissaponted in how cheap the saw feels in comparison to the SawStop. Just goes to show you cant go back.

Dave

I used the Rigid because I have a missing tooth on my new 80 tooth saw blade, and didn't want to use the SawStop til I replaced the blade.

After using the Rigid that one time, I installed a decent 60T in the SawStop, and have been using it ever since.