Khorn mini drawing/plan

hifido

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi looking for the drawing/plan to build a pair of KHORN mini speakers.

Can anyone help?

Thanks hifido.

I believe there's a 2/3 "mini" Khorn plan floating around here somewhere. The fact of the matter is bass horns don't "scale down" well, especially folded corner horn types. The Khorn is about as small as practical can get. If it's too big then you would be better off with a LaScala or Cornwall, or even a Heresy. I've seen people fooled by thinking that what they were listening to were the Khorns when in fact they were hearing the Heresys sitting on top of them.

Hi. I have seen a scaled down version of the khorn on the internet. Greg Roberts calls it a mini Khorn on his site. I am looking for the plans for it. My listening room will not take the full size khorns . As it is on the small side. Thanks again..

The guy who built them is Don Gurney, and he lives in Vermont. I drove over there a few years ago and bought them from him, and we talked about how he designed them. He said he figured the percentage difference between a 15" woofer and a 12" woofer cone size, and multiplied all the dimensions from the plans for stock Khorns by that percentage difference to figure out all the cut sizes. As has been pointed out, that doesn't mean that the design will provide a corresponding percentage of performance from the smaller horn. But I played around with them a few times and they sound pretty good. If I had more time I would try different drivers in them, but frankly I would just build the larger Khorn horns. If you've got corners for mini Khorns, you've got corners for regular Khorns, and there's really no comparison.

Greg

post-11090-1381961674372_thumb.jpg

post-11090-13819620764726_thumb.jpg

Hi. I have seen a scaled down version of the khorn on the internet. Greg Roberts calls it a mini Khorn on his site. I am looking for the plans for it. My listening room will not take the full size khorns . As it is on the small side. Thanks again..

If you've got corners for mini Khorns, you've got corners for regular Khorns, and there's really no comparison.

Greg

That's true! I once had Khorns in a room 11.33 feet x 9 feet. with a ~~14 foot non parallel ceiling ( essentially a "room on end" a la BBC), and they sounded damn good from the sweet spot. People off to the side lost some imaging, but you would also have that problem with mini versions. I'd put full size ones in there!

By the way, what are your room measurements?

Thanks guys for your replies.

My room measures 11FT X9FT. I am just a little worried the full size khorns will be be over powering in the bass.

Maybe this could be controlled with the crossover. I would like to use the corners. to make the footprint neater.

Hifido

Thanks guys for your replies. My room measures 11FT X9FT. I am just a little worried the full size khorns will be be over powering in the bass. Maybe this could be controlled with the crossover. I would like to use the corners. to make the footprint neater. Hifido

Overpowering in the bass? LOL. Some of us wish we had such problems! Of course it's my own fault for trying to use 1.8 wpc on them. But I digress . . .

That is a small room for Khorns, but I had mine in a room that size years ago. It can be overpowering, but a lot of it depends on what you listen to for music, and how loud you are going to try and go with the system. It could work just fine.

But mini-Khorns is not the answer IMO. There are many speakers that would work in that room, and work better in the corners with no more of a footprint than mini-Khorns.

Greg

Interesting.I guess I thought big speakers powerful bass. I do have a couple of ideas for a corner bass cabinet.

One is a German design. And the other is a Jensen design. Both will run with Bob Crites 15" woofers. .

I run Type 45 mono-blocks 2 watts tops. I am on a quest to build corner horns to work in my space. It will happen. Watch this space As they say.

Thanks Greg for the constructive help and ojectivity.Your work is fantastic. I can really appreciate what you do as I am a fine furniture maker and fine antique restorer.

I know the amount of hrs you put in to your designs.

To the gentelman who made the conparison between his wifes shoe closet and my dedicated listening room.

What can I say impressive comes to mind. We have to work with what we have.

hifido

To the gentelman who's made the conparison between his wifes shoe closet and my dedicated listening room. What can I say impressive comes to mind

He's our resident Warthog lover. You know...every family has the wacko aunt/uncle that they try to keep from meeting their friends?

It's one of those "we luv him but we don't always admit we know him" kinda things.

[:o] [;)] [6]

Thanks guys for your replies.

My room measures 11FT X9FT. I am just a little worried the full size khorns will be be over powering in the bass.

Hifido

Klipschorns sound great at lower volumes. Khorns do not add bass that is not there so unless you crank it up the bass will not be overpowering, and if you do everything will be overpowering. Your room is a little small but I would go for it! [Y]

It should be obvious to anyone but Coytee....As PWK once said to me,,,You cant put a 15 ft organ pipe in a closet and expect to hear the bass....Thats why Coytee not only cant hear the bass,,,He cant hear the bells,,, It also is obvious you cant fold the Khorn any smaller and put it in a mini room.... My advise to the gentleman with the small 11X9 room,,,,MOVE to a better place.. When i was younger and in my prime,,,I had a small room like that,,,And it was stuffed with a pair of Khorns,,,When i made my fortune,,,,I moved those Khorn into 2 story mansion where the Khorns could breath,,,, Later when i made all the money i wanted,,But i still kept them old Khorns,,,, I bought a country home with hundreds of ackers around me,,,,I now open my double doors to the sprawling deck in the morning,,,Place a recording of MAHLERS 5th Symphony on my audio kit,,,With the music soaring,,,The Deer look up,,Eagles take flight,,,I stand there coffee in hand,,,Take a deep breath...It good to be alive,,, Oh """ I also have a pet PIG i call WARTHOG....He reminds me of Coytee,s speaker by the same name.

11X9 ft,,Thats the size of my wifes shoe closet. Why not just buy a pair of Klipsch Palladiams...They sit on a smaller footprint and go deeper in bass.

Why not buy a pair of shoes...and shoe stands (Heresys)?

You would think that on a site like this. Guys like Maron. With the obvious yrs of experience he has. Would act his age.

Not like his SHOE size. He has so impressed me, and inspired me. But I dont think he has convinced me to move out of my 18th century period home.

I would like to chat further .But I have some speakers to build.

The laws of physics on the other side of the univers is the same as on this side of the univers,,,You cant make a mini Khorn ,,,perform like the standard Khorn,,,Even when improving on the origional design now refered to as the Jubilee,,,That design is even larger... So keep your mini 18th century period home and add on a large enough room For your shoes and a decent music room,,,for a BOSE