integrateds vs tube sound

quadklipsh

Not an expert here but somewhat informed.

I have heard the Onkyo A-9555 described as "tube-like" by many that have owned them and in a Stereophile review. Here is one for sale on A-gon.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1288400889&/Onkyo-A-9555-Black--excellent-

http://stereophile.com/integratedamps/907onk/

I think some of the NAD integrateds might be described that way also.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intamult&1287861708&/NAD-C355BEE-Excellent-for-Cond

Bill

The old Heathkit AR1500a is about as close to a tube sound as I've ever heard. Mid drive is unreal and it's a very warm old powerhouse. Range is excellent, controls are very wide ranging with defeat also.

Best musical solid state piece of gear I've ever heard.

Heavy, solid, superior sounding.

The only way you can make a transistor amp sound as good as or 'like' a tube amplifier, is if it is designed from the outset to drive highly sensitive horn-loaded speakers at the lower power levels such speakers require. There are some really good solid state low power amplifiers available. Check out Nelson Pass's website. I like the English DNM range. Their PA3 power amplifier @ 27 watts per channel is a beauty...

post-15368-13819616800084_thumb.jpg

post-15368-13819620808616_thumb.jpg

wuzzer, that looks pretty interesting. When I was considering a T-amp for headphone use, I was told the only way to do it was to rewire my Sennheiser HD600s so each channel had a separate ground, as tying the grounds together (as in most headphones) would damage the amp, or the phones, or both. They must have worked that one out. Do you own one? How's it sound?

300-383_L.jpg

wuzzer, that looks pretty interesting. When I was considering a T-amp for headphone use, I was told the only way to do it was to rewire my Sennheiser HD600s so each channel had a separate ground, as tying the grounds together (as in most headphones) would damage the amp, or the phones, or both. They must have worked that one out. Do you own one? How's it sound?

300-383_L.jpg

I looked at the website and it did not indicate whether the front knob was also a volume control. It says only on/off on the front pane.

Anyone know if this has a volume control, so that you could use it without a pre-amp?

I used to have a Sonic Impact t-amp prior to going to surround sound. Fantastic amp, only thing it needed was more power. The amp I posted from Parts Express is the t-amp's steroid taking, muscle building big brother. I'd love to hear it some day but I have no doubt that it would be a stellar performer.

I really wish I didn't put myself on a self-imposed buying hiatus until the end of 2011. I'd love to order two of them and see what they'd do in my setup. I could buy both of them and sell my LPA-1 and have plenty of coin left in my pocket.

I really wish I didn't put myself on a self-imposed buying hiatus until the end of 2011. I'd love to order two of them and see what they'd do in my setup. I could buy both of them and sell my LPA-1 and have plenty of coin left in my pocket.

This doesn't make much sense.

Order 2 to try them out, if you like them better you'll be money ahead with the 'plenty of coin left in my pocket'. If you don't like them, send them back for a refund.

I think I found the answer to my question:

Since this thread is back up. I did a search a couple of months ago to

find out more about the headphone out on the amp. I does just use a

Opamp and does not use the t-amp. I'm too lazy to look it up now but i

think i saw the internals on some DIY audio board.

Thats not to say it would not be a good HP amp, it's just nothing unique

about it. Driving speakers with the T-amp though would be pretty nice

though.