Help With Belle's ID Stamp...

Wunsung

Hi,I just picked up a pair of Belle's from a good friend (Texas42) and need some help identifying a code that is stamped on the back (lower section, upper edge). Both speakers are stamped 3U584 and 3U585, respectively. However, in the middle of both speakers (same edge as the serial no.) the letters RB is stamped. It is this RB that has us curious.

Unfortunately, the rear labels have been torn off both speakers; so much of the information has been lost. Our first thought was that the RB meant raw birch; however, the speakers clearly have factory walnut veneer. Anyway, it's just something that has us curious. Hoping one of the experts can chime in and shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance for any information you care to share.

Marty

I was about to jump the gun and suggest Raw Birch until I finished reading the post...(I'm bad for that).

Are you both certain the Walnut is factory applied?

I suppose it's possible that someone could have applied walnut veneer over the raw birch at some point in their lifetime. It looks factory, to me, but I know there are some very talented woodworkers out there, and on the pages of this fourm, who could easily do the job.

From 1971 until 2005 they never show Birch Raw as being offered. These being 1980 Belles they definately fall into that catagory. There is no RB for raw birch it actually show BR for birch raw but not in a Belle.

Perhaps, the RB stamp doesn't have anything to do with the finish, at all, and means something else? I really don't know. I wish the labels were still on, as that would put it all to rest. Nevertheless, they are wonderful speakers, and after I give them a little TLC will be good as new.

Weren't some heritage speakers stamped with the initials of someone who built them?

I was thinking what Wuzzzer said.

100% correct.

Oh, and on some Belles (Southern models in particular), you must gently lift the hoop skirt to assess condition.

A little history on that pair.

A father bought them new and left them to his sons. One son moved out of state to care for mother so bought out the other's half. Left speakers in basement and wife (now ex) put something on the top that created the round stain. Mom passes away, son wants to move back to Fl but has no interest in moving speakers. Yadda yadda, they are yours now. Don't know when the labels vanished in that time frame.

They are 1980's Belles (see: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103886.aspx ). The initials are for the cabinet builder who assembled them in 1980. I had a list of the builders' initials, but was asked not to list them in the reference thread for privacy reasons. I can say that anything "RB" built is good!!! LOL!!

There should also be a USA stamp somewhere on the rear edge. If you "flip" them upside down, remove the riser, and take off the woofer access panel, you might find some pencilled dates, names, etc. There may also be a PRIDE sticker stapled inside with dates on all stages of construction, including the initials of each employee who worked on them.

Belles came in Walnut Lacquer, Walnut Oiled (early ones), Mahogany Lacquer (very rare), Medium Oak Lacquer (and oiled, but rare), Black Lacquer (somewhat rare), and Unfinished Oak (very rare).

[H]

A little history on that pair.
A father bought them new and left them to his sons. One son moved out of state to care for mother so bought out the other's half. Left speakers in basement and wife (now ex) put something on the top that created the round stain. Mom passes away, son wants to move back to Fl but has no interest in moving speakers. Yadda yadda, they are yours now. Don't know when the labels vanished in that time frame.

Thank you for the brief history on the Belle's. It is a small world, isn't it? I purchased them from a friend, who got them from a friend, who got them from you... Yes, the stain, too bad, as it is all the way through the veneer and will not even bleach out. I've decided the best thing to do is simply re-veneer the top; actually, both tops, just to keep things symmetrical. Apart from that, they are wonderful sounding speakers (as you very well know), and deserve the complete restoration I am in the process of giving them.

They are 1980's Belles (see: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103886.aspx ). The initials are for the cabinet builder who assembled them in 1980. I had a list of the builders' initials, but was asked not to list them in the reference thread for privacy reasons. I can say that anything "RB" built is good!!! LOL!!

There should also be a USA stamp somewhere on the rear edge. If you "flip" them upside down, remove the riser, and take off the woofer access panel, you might find some pencilled dates, names, etc. There may also be a PRIDE sticker stapled inside with dates on all stages of construction, including the initials of each employee who worked on them.

Belles came in Walnut Lacquer, Walnut Oiled (early ones), Mahogany Lacquer (very rare), Medium Oak Lacquer (and oiled, but rare), Black Lacquer (somewhat rare), and Unfinished Oak (very rare).

Cool

Thank you for the information. I sincerely appreciate it. Indeed, there is a USA stamp on the upper edge of cabinet, just several inches from the maker's initials. I have yet to remove the woofer panel but, rest assured, I will within the coming days. I look forward to seeing what's in there.