HDMI cables

m00n

Wow.. it has a been a LOOOOOOOOOONG time since I've been here. Whats up everyone?

So, I've got a question about HDMI cables. Did a quick google search for HDMI cables and seen huge price differences. Seen some as low as $6.99 for generic, and then seen the Monster brand for some $77.00 or so. Is it a wrong assumption to think that the Monster cable is a bit overpriced? That you're just paying for the name?

Is there anything I need to be looking for when shopping for a HDMI cable for my TV? It will be going from our Direct TV receiver, to the new flatscreen.

I have not been on here much in the past few years, but seeing your name (m00n) is a blast from the past.

Anyway, you do not need to spend a lot on HDMI cables. One of the best places to get them is Monoprice.com. Any highspeed HDMI cable will work just fine. 28 gauge will work fine unless you are talking about a long run (25 ft or more)

here is a link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

Wow.. it has a been a LOOOOOOOOOONG time since I've been here. Whats up everyone?

D[O]mn dude! It has been a long time since I've last seen you around these parts! How's those RF-7s sounding (I am assuming you still got'em)? Mine still sound as great as the day I first brought them into the house!

So, I've got a question about HDMI cables. Did a quick google search for HDMI cables and seen huge price differences. Seen some as low as $6.99 for generic, and then seen the Monster brand for some $77.00 or so. Is it a wrong assumption to think that the Monster cable is a bit overpriced? That you're just paying for the name?

Is there anything I need to be looking for when shopping for a HDMI cable for my TV? It will be going from our Direct TV receiver, to the new flatscreen.

No, it is not wrong to assume the Monstor cable is a bit overpriced. Seems people already beat me to it, but that Monoprice.com is a good place. May also be worth it to check out BlueJeansCable.com as well. I figure any of the decent quality HDMI cable these sites offer will be good enough for your purposes. I am just using a cheap $10 RatShack cable to hook up my DirecTV reciever to my TV (actually to a four-port HDMI switcher, and from there to the TV (via a DVI adaptor, as my TV does not have HDMI)

How are things going there Skonopa? Been a LONG time. Still living in Fredricksberg I see. I still have all my gear. Hard to beat this classic set. Still rawks!

Yeah, still in good ol' Freddyburg (going on 17 years now - will be 15 years in this particular house at the end of October). Did change up jobs about 3 years ago - now with what used to be a tiny company (was 10 people when I started with them, now we got over 30). In fact, we had to move the entire company simply due to outgrowing our location. Today was my first day at the new location. I love that 1 mile commute [au] (used to be a 20 mile commute - just not having to drive on I-95 anymore is just friggan sweet! If there is one thing that will probably end up getting me to leave the area is that the traffic around here just plain SUCKS!).

Yeah, still got my gear and loving it as much as the day I bought the thing, although I am ready for a new pre/pro (the Denon AVR-3802 that I've been using as a pre/pro is really getting long in the tooth). But, d[8]mn, this thing just sounds so friggan awesome!

Oh yeah, to get back on topic, there is also good-ol Parts Express to find decent HDMI cables without paying the ridiculous prices of the likes of Monster.

The only thing about Monster and the like is that if you needed somthing NOW (i.e., you got that fancy new X-Box 360, but don't have a cable to hook it up, but just DYING to get to playing that copy of Mass Effect 2 and don't want to wait for a cable to arrive in the mail). Of course, for that thing, you could always try WalMart or even Radio Shack, and you might find something that isn't to ridiculous.

I bought some "generic" HDMI cables from Parts Express (just up the road from me) and after a while I thought something just wasn't right. The blacks seemed a little gray when they shouldn't have been.

Then I ordered a Starlight 52 in 3-meter and my blacks are back as they are on open air TV channels. Yes, this thing did cost a bit of coin, but at the time I had the money to splurge without having buyer's remorse. I think it ran about $300. But will be the last one I need to buy.

I will also say that when the generics were in the system I had to set the audio/video offset on my McIntosh MVP-871 with much more delay than with the Starlight 52. It needed less than 1/3 the delay.

I still won't give Monster the time of day.

Wireworld-Retail-Prices[1].pdf