Joining the Klipsch Family

Freakdaddy

Finally after doing much research and reading countless reviews, I'm taking the plunge into the Klipsch world! Initially, I was going to get the Icon WF-35 theater bundle from Vann's as they had it for a little under $1800. Evidently, this line is being discontinued and I was having difficulty finding all the speakers especially since I was wanting to go with a 7.1 system. If I did find them, they were too high priced for what I have budgeted. I found what I felt was a smoking deal on the Reference line from Ultimate Electronics. The ones I'm getting are the older ones and not the revised "II" models. The only drawback is I will have to drive 2 1/2 hours to St. Louis to pick them up. For a little under $1800, I'm getting the following all new in the box:

2 - RF-82

1 - RC-62

4 - RS52

Now for my questions as this is my first leap into building any type of sound system and I would like to make sure I'm making the right choices since this stuff isn't cheap.

I plan on going with the RW12D sub and hopefully adding a second one within 6 months. Would I see better benefit from this setup as opposed to only one RSW10d? There's no way I will have the funds to do two of the 10's so that's out of the question. I figured with two 12's it would give me a more balanced sound.

I plan on getting the Onkyo TX-NR808 receiver ( http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR808&class=Receiver&p=i ). My main question is how much more of a benefit will I see adding the Emotiva UPA-7 amp? http://emotiva.com/upa7.shtm

I'm also looking at the Onkyo BD-SP807 Blue-ray player ( http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=BD-SP807&class=DVD&p=i ). What's the general consensus on this...worth it?

Thanks in advance for all the input and direction!

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums and family. I believe the RF-82/RC-62/RS-52 is truly a great system you have put together. As far as subs go, I cannot offer any advice on the Klipsch lineup since I have always used Velodyne subs. One thing to keep in mind is that you do not necessarily have to go with Klipsch sub. Many around here enjoy Velodyne, HSU, SVS and Epik subs. I would also recommend checking your local Craigslist. You might be able to find a sweet deal on a sub. I bought my Velodyne HGS-15 (15" with 1250 watt amp) in piano black finish on Craigslist for $200. The deals are out there, you just have to be quick to get them.

I personally would get your system setup without the UPA-7 first. Take your time, look around, do your research. You might be better off getting the XPA-3 to use for your front soundstage and use your Onkyo to power the surrounds.

I haven't heard any reviews on an Onkyo Bluray player. Have you considered the PS3 Slim? Same price and you get a Media Server, Game Console, Internet Capability...Just something to think about.

Freakdaddy,

Welcome to the forum.

You have a nice set of speakers for a super price. I think the RW-12d sub is a good choice for HT. (2) would be even better. However, the RSW-10d is hands down a more musical sub. IMO.

The Onkyo TX-NR808 should be a good choice for HT and will have no trouble powering your setup. Use it a while and then decide if you want to add the Emo amp later. An outboard amp will definitely take any strain off of the Onkyo's internal amps and keep it thermally in control.

The Onkyo BD-SP807 is pretty much the same player as the Denon DBP-2010Ci and the Marantz BD7004(all mid level players manufactured by Funai). With that said, the Onkyo should be a quality player.

Bill

One thing to keep in mind is that you do not necessarily have to go with Klipsch sub. Many around here enjoy Velodyne, HSU, SVS and Epik subs.

Don't forget Elemental Designs. From what I've heard, their subs have the most bang for the buck. The only disadvantage is the production wait time. I'm waiting on an A2-300 right now, which is their second cheapest and most popular sub. Their higher-end subs are truly insane, the A7-900 has 2 18" woofers powered by a 1300 watt amp.

• Moderators

Don't forget Elemental Designs.

My bad...I knew I was forgetting someone. Bottom line is there are lots of good options out there. Take a look around and see what works out best for you.

Their higher-end subs are truly insane, the A7-900 has 2 18" woofers powered by a 1300 watt amp.

Insane? I like to think of it more as SSB (Sub Sonic Bliss). [:D]

From no one reliable at this point. I sent Amy Unger an email hoping she could offer some insight but haven't heard anything back from her yet. What I was seeing was when I went to Vann's and specifically the cabernet finish, the WF-35's states it is no longer available for purchase new. J&R has some but they state it's limited quantities available and while supplies last. The same with the WS-24's at Vann's. In looking around at various online dealers and especialy with the WS-24's, I keep coming across this model is discontinued. I can find a few espresso ones but it's very limited as well. Amazon only had 1 espresso WS-24 for sale and no cabernet models. I might be wrong on this but that's how it is looking to me. Maybe someone here knows what's going on with this line.

You have a great start at a good price. Do setup without an outboard amp for now and let the wallet cool down a little LOL. You can add an amp later if you feel the need. I love my Yamaha AVR but I added an outboard stereo amp to drive the mains and the difference was easily heard. The sound cleared up and became more effortles. You don't need to use an outboard amp that is designed for HT use, a quality power amp will drive your mains while taking the load off the internals of the AVR and the load the sides, rear and center together, present, is less than the mains for sure. Even an old amp/rec you have in the garage or attic will work if it has seperate inputs into the amp section. Give it a try if you own one, it is free and easily removed if you don't like it.

I went and picked these up yesterday and am VERY pleased with my purchase and like I was told, they were all new in the box. They had the "II" series hooked up in their room so I was able to listen to what it sounds like. That's the problem with living in a small town that doesn't have any real electronics shops with a selection of higher end equipment to listen to is you find yourself going in on blind faith. I was hoping all the positive feedback and reviews I've read were true and after the sales associate fired up the ones on display, I was not disappointed. As a matter of fact, I was downright ecstatic! Now to just get the components I need to get these bad boys up and running. I may be going out on a limb but I really think I'm going to see a drastic improvement over my AIWA bookshelf surround sound sound system LOL ! [;)]

Did you get the discontinued RF 82, RC62 & RS 52's. How did these speakers compare to the new II series speakers? I bought the same set of speakers with a rw 12d sub this summer and paired it with my denon 1804 90 watt reciever about 7 years old and it sounded great. I am looking at buying the Onkyo tx nr 808 receiver. Did you get this receiver? A yamo representative recommended onkyo over denon for our speakers. He said it had a warmer sound and went well with the rf 82's. I hope you're having as great a time with the new speakers as I am.

I am also thinking of buying the onkyo tx nr808 to replace my denon 1804 90 watt receiver. I was told it was a warmer sounding reciever to pair with Klipsch rf 82 speakers. If you bought the onkyo how does it sound?

I can't speak for the newer Denon gear but the older stuff are on the warmish side. On the other hand, older and newer Onkyo gear are about as close to neutral as you can get. My Onkyo TX-SR705 adds very little coloration at all, which in turn makes it an excellent choice for HT. For 2-channel applications I would consider it only good(compared to my NAD).

Bill

Welcome to the family, there are towels in the upstairs hallway closet, trash day is tuesday and as I am not sharing my bedroom you can fix up a bed in the basement.

There's a black sheep in every family, we try not to talk about jacksonbart. [;)]

I still haven't picked up the Onkyo yet and I really expect it's going to be another month before I do. I'm hoping to be able to get everything at once to make the connection process much smoother and since this is my first foray into any type of serious sound system, I'm still doing much research as I'm a complete newb. Right now I feel I'm on the right track with the choices I'm making. If it wasn't for the fact these speakers were on sale for such a good price, I wouldn't have gotten them as soon as I did but I'm definitely not complaining. I will admit it's killing me just having them in my closet until I get the other components. I'm also in the process of remodeling the house and even though I told the Mrs. I'd do the kitchen next, it looks like the living room has been moved to the top of the list LOL!

I never did get a chance to listen to the 82's as the ones I bought were the last ones in the store so I can't compare them directly to the 82 II's they had hooked up. If mine sound anywhere close to the II's (and I'm sure there won't be too much of a difference), I will be ecstatic!

Thanks again for the warm welcome and all the helpful advice. Of course, you are costing me more money now as I'm most likely going to go with the SVS PB12-Plus sub...albeit just one for now [:D].