Speakers or Amp?

Kayo

OK guys, be gentle! First time caller, and frankly, know more about neurosurgery! I'm re-engaging my love of good music, albeit 25 years later! On a fluke, I snagged some pristine, custom cabinet Heresy 1.5's at a garage sale for $150. Bob Crites upgraded the crossovers and I'm relatively happy...but the bug has bit! Driving them with a Denon 80wpc receiver. Also have an old Yamaha and SAE Two integrated amp sitting in boxes. Where do I go now? Have a lead on some beautiful Chorus II for $600...or do I go the other route and get into an amp that'll clean up the signal a bit? I've read McIntosh will make Klipsch sing! I've also read enough of your "help" to know someone will suggest getting them both! But I would appreciate a more practical perspective (though that does sound good to me). 80% of my listening is Jazz through digital sources in a moderate sized (15'x25') room. Thanks guys! Best wishes!

OK guys, be gentle! First time caller, and frankly, know more about neurosurgery! I'm re-engaging my love of good music, albeit 25 years later! On a fluke, I snagged some pristine, custom cabinet Heresy 1.5's at a garage sale for $150. Bob Crites upgraded the crossovers and I'm relatively happy...but the bug has bit! Driving them with a Denon 80wpc receiver. Also have an old Yamaha and SAE Two integrated amp sitting in boxes. Where do I go now? Have a lead on some beautiful Chorus II for $600...or do I go the other route and get into an amp that'll clean up the signal a bit? I've read McIntosh will make Klipsch sing! I've also read enough of your "help" to know someone will suggest getting them both! But I would appreciate a more practical perspective (though that does sound good to me). 80% of my listening is Jazz through digital sources in a moderate sized (15'x25') room. Thanks guys! Best wishes!

If the Chorus II,s are as nice as you say then grab em as they dont show up at that price very often. You will definately not need a sub with them. You can always pick up a receiver later. K-horns are my favorite and Chorus II,s are my second choice.

Amps and speakers do different things for systems, so you should do both. A great line on the Chorus II pair (tracterix!) gives you a great no-brainer speaker decision right now, and then go for the amplification at greater leisure. I, like many here, like tubes.

Get the Chorus, you will not regret it. I have never owned a pair but have heard them a number of times and have always been impressed. Depending on the vintage of your amp, I have found 1970s Yamaha stuff to be an excellent match with Klipsch. I have a Yamaha CA-1010 that I run with my K-horns that sound quite good, although I also have a SET tube amp when I am sitting in the room and really want the best.

Kayo,

Welcome to the forum.

Get those Chorus II's first then amp.

Go check this B&K out. Very good amp for the price. My buddy has one powering his Quartet's and says they have never sounded better. Warm "tube like" with plenty of detail and more potent than power rating suggests.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ele/2002295684.html

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/bk_pt3_st2140.htm

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/b-and-k-components/amplifiers/st1400-series-ii-/PRD_123735_1583crx.aspx

Sorry about the Braves(assuming you are a fan). What a career for Bobby Cox.

Bill

Fifteen by 25 feet is a pretty big room for Heresies, but I think they can sound wonderful, if properly positioned. Certainly try the vintage amps; quality like that now costs thousands. If still not to your liking, I would research refurbished vintage tube amps. Perform a simple test to see where the frequency response of your room peaks and dips. Investigate acoustic panels and EQ to flatten out the frequency response. Check out equalizers to finish making your system like a dream one.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0705/behringerultracurve2496.htm

You guys are awesome! I already feel like family! Best wishes and good listening to all!

Just keep intouch and let us know when you get new equipment and speakers, Take your shoes off and stay a while and also let us know what wine you are drinking[;)]

Cheers!

Sterling