Powering the Forte II

vondy

So I have had my Forte IIs for quite a while now and really do love them. I have future plans to upgrade the crossovers and tweeters to Crite's. Just so I can get the most out of them.

I'm not sure I am getting the most out of my amp though. Using a HK 430. Worked great with the Heresys but I think the Fortes want more.

Back with the Heresys I was thinking of tubes but with the Fortes seems like most folks like SS. I'm open to whatever, probably want to stick to integrated. And my budget right now is around $500. I do love some vintage geer like my HK 430, so open to that as well. I would suspect whatever I get will be used.

My two main sources will be my Technics turntable and digital straight from the Mac. The music range is Smashing Pumpkins to Norah Jones. I'm looking for life-like sounds. I want to hear Norah in my living room. OK I'm sure I'm not going to get that with Forte IIs but you get the point.

Open to just about any suggestion so all opinions welcomed.

Thanks!

My Fortes never sounded better than with tubes. My favorite amp with them was an Elite 80 from Ideal Innovations in Canada. Dead quiet, good bass, sweet sound. A little above your $500 range but well worth it. It is now powering with my La Scalas.

http://www.idealinnovations.biz/elite-models.htm

I am sure many others will chime in with their favorites.

That HK is rated at 25 w/ch, correct? How big is your room? Sounds like you could get a more powerful HK (or similar) and be set.

I use a Yamaha RX-396, rated 50 w/, in a 13x16x8.5 room. It get's louder than I can personally stand, without any signs of strain. I actually find this to be a very copacetic combo. The Yamaha has that variable loudness control, which cuts frequencies right in the squawkers range, giving the ability to trim it slightly for an apparently deeper soundstage, to more heavily for that old-school west coast sound. It works really well with the forte ii's.

A Scott 299 is what I had my eye on for the Heresys. The only problem is finding one then sending it off to be redone. Guess it's not really a problem but wanted to check other options and see if there might be an easier/better/less expensive way.

I got these from a local forum member, don't remember his name at the moment, really nice guy. We listened the them with his vintage Carver receiver I believe. It had lots of power and sounded great. Really punched you hard, and they were in the middle of the room.

I bought a Scott 299 off eBay and had Craig @ Nos/Valves spiff it up. When I hooked it up with the Forte IIs my kids and I were amazed. My wife, who normally could give a rip about sound quality, (loves music, however) wondered what all the fuss was about. When she sat down and listened to Stairway to Heaven she actually cried. We then played Santana's Abraxas and for the first time in her life she sat and listened to an entire LP without getting up and dancing around or doing something else. She wondered where the other speakers were and kept looking up and behind her to see what was going on.

In a weak moment I shipped that 299 off to another Forum member.

Unless the room to be used is quite large, Forte IIs will perform fantastically with a 299.

Vondy - It was several years ago and I can't recall exact numbers. I bought the 299 along with a Scott Tuner and I think both were around $325 - $350. Craig is quite reasonable with his make overs and he has a lot of experience with Scott 299s. Much depends on the chassis you are able to get. I had mine shipped directly to Craig and was pleased with the service, price and performance. I also think the phono section on the 299 is excellent. With either my Well Tempured or Rega P3 the results were excellent. You better get one quick cause all this has be thinkin' again![;)]

I originally had a Sony ES series integrated amp running my Fortes. The sound could really get bright and shrill, the kind of that sometimes gives Klipsch a bad name. A switch to a vintage Yamaha receiver cured that, and as I said earlier tubes were the best. Like all of the Klipsch speakers I have heard so far, Fortes are very revealing.

Back with the Heresys I was thinking of tubes but with the Fortes seems like most folks like SS. I'm open to whatever, probably want to stick to integrated. And my budget right now is around $500. I do love some vintage geer like my HK 430, so open to that as well. I would suspect whatever I get will be used.

I started my Forte IIs with a Marantz 1152DC (my avatar) & liked the sound alot. When I moved to tubes, though, Dynaco ST-70 & PAS-3, I finally knew what all the fuss was about. ;-)

I do think it has a lot to do with the kind of music you listen to. I like acoustic & jazz, both with lots of vocals mostly, & my Forte IIs + tubes really float the boat! But, if I were more of a hard rock & metal kind of guy, SS could very well be the way I'd go.

Gotta love those Forte IIs though!

Frank W.

That HK is rated at 25 w/ch, correct? How big is your room? Sounds like you could get a more powerful HK (or similar) and be set.

I use a Yamaha RX-396, rated 50 w/, in a 13x16x8.5 room. It get's louder than I can personally stand, without any signs of strain. I actually find this to be a very copacetic combo. The Yamaha has that variable loudness control, which cuts frequencies right in the squawkers range, giving the ability to trim it slightly for an apparently deeper soundstage, to more heavily for that old-school west coast sound. It works really well with the forte ii's.

when i bought my pair of Cornwalls, i was driving it for a few months with a Yamaha AX596 (100 wpc) until i picked up an HK 430 from a forum member.

the only thing i can tell you is the HK (25wpc) blew away the Yammie in all aspects.

I have been trying some things with my Fortes. Initially I used a 75 watt Sansui G 5700 that I found on CL for 45 bucks. Fantastic in all respects. A wonderful old receiver.

Then I went with a higher power Onkyo stack that I picked up on CL for 150 bucks. It consisted of M501 amp at 150 wpc, and matching Pre, Tuner, and double cassette deck. They sounded....very good, but nowhere near as good as with the Sansui. The stack looks cool, but I'm not in this habit for looks. Ho hum. I suspect that the amp alone might not be too bad with a different Preamp.

Right now I am messing around with a sick Marantz 2240 (40 wpc) which I picked up on (again) CL for 40 bucks. It has some issues with an intermittent left channel. But I must say, they sound GREAT with that thing. I am very impressed with the old unit. The tuner is amazing. With just a scrap of antenna wire it sucks in everything. Best tuner in the house by far.

I took the cabinet off and cleaned out the dust and crud, and sprayed electronics cleaner all over, and on the pots in particular. Initially all it did was snap, crackle and pop, but now it's clear as a bell and all the controls are silent. But to get the L channel to work you need to wind it up pretty loud. It will come on and then can be adjusted. But, I hate to spank that speaker like that and I am going to try cleaning it again. If no luck, there is a local old guy who works on electronics. I feel that it will be worthh the expense to get it right.

Still patiently scouring CL for some Tube gear which I can afford. The last thing I saw was a Fisher 500C but he was firm in his asking price of 500, which is too rich for my blood right now. Maybe when my kid graduates, who knows. I am dying to hear them through tubes based on what I have read.