To XPA-3 or not to XPA-3

nezff

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, I heard that Emotiva plans to have a sale on their AMP's during the 4th of July, reccomend checking their web site late June. Someone asked earlier if they will refund your $ if your not happy. Yes, they have a 30-day look policy, they explained to me, if not happy just call and they will take back.

In case any one is wondering, NO I do not work or receive any perks from Emotiva. I am a happy customer, who enjoys their products. I have never felt as passionate with my hardware as I have with our Klipsch speakers. My Klipsch relationship started the moment I heard my first at an HiFi store, we will be celebrating our anniversary this September of purchasing our first new Klipsch Heresy's 28 years ago. Three weeks after my wife and I married.

Last month after several months of research, including reading invaluable comments on the Klipsch Forum about Emotiva, I purchased the UMC-1 with caution. I took advantage of their "B" model sale and saved myself $100. From the moment FedEx delivered, unpacking and enjoying the new system smell, to the no-brainer setting up, I was unable to note any signs that the unit had ever been used prior nor that it had had any issues. The whole expierence exceed my expectations. As I had read some posts by folks that had issues with their units. Which is why I was hesitate to order, even though the specs were awesome, almost too good to be true at $699/$599. I rationalized that the 30 day free look removed any risk to me to check out the product.

Regards, Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Advice please. I have RF62s, RC62, RS52s,RS41iis powered by a Integra 6.9. Would I benefit most from XPA-2, XPA-3, or XPA-5 ? Should I sale 6.9 and get amp and preamp?

Blatz,

I think the XPA-3 will definitely give you more bang for the buck. Your surrounds do not need anything close to 200w/ch. Your 6.9 will power them just fine. The front soundstage(L-C-R) is most important so I would put my $$$ toward that.

Bill

What Bill says makes sence about the rears not needing anything close to 200w/ch. I will say however that I run a XPA-5 using all 5 channels for the front and my reciever(Marantz at 125w/ch) for the surrounds. My surrounds do not keep up quite as well as I would like. I typically run them louder than normal but still feel it is not enough. One issue is my fronts are rated at 101 db and my surrounds are at 93 db. I run the fronts at 0 db and the surrounds at +10 db. The other factor is the gain on the amp is 32 db and I am not sure about the avr. I am in the process of experimentation with attenuators on the inputs to the amps. I would certainly give Emotiva a chance for bang for the buck!

I am going to buy an emotiva during their July 4th sale. I was leaning towards the xpa-3 because I think my onkyo will handle the surrounds just fine. My only thought is The price difference is so small. $699 for 600 watts ... Or $900 for 1000 watts. I mean your paying $233 per channel for the xpa-3 vs $180 per channel for the xpa-5. Buy in bulk! Lol. So I think I'll be going xpa-5. Unless emotive is having a killer deal on the xpa-3.

I am going to buy an emotiva during their July 4th sale. I was leaning towards the xpa-3 because I think my onkyo will handle the surrounds just fine. My only thought is The price difference is so small. $699 for 600 watts ... Or $900 for 1000 watts. I mean your paying $233 per channel for the xpa-3 vs $180 per channel for the xpa-5. Buy in bulk! Lol. So I think I'll be going xpa-5. Unless emotive is having a killer deal on the xpa-3.

Nothing wrong with the xpa-3 but I would spend the extra
money and have the same power on all the speakers. I think whatever amp you get
you will be happy with emo makes great amps. When I bought mine I still had my
rf-82 set up, and was still waiting for the new speakers I ordered (rf-7ii set
up) to come in. so I hooked it up to the rf-82(rc-62,rs-52) set up and wow it
was like I got new speakers. imo huge upgrade.