Ipod....

Joe Shmoe

So I'm thinking of getting an MP3 player, and was maybe thinking of an Ipod. I have no idea about this stuff... anyone give me a quick "low down"? If I spring for the Ipod touch, is there any extra expense involved? Should I just stick with a regular Ipod? Nano? I dunno.

Much of it depends on what you want to do with it, and what your expectations are.

I'm on my third one, and love it. As for size, if you want it for the gym or running, a small one is the way to go but you'll sacrifice storage space. If you want it for travel and while sitting in airports, planes, boats, etc then a bigger one is the way to go. The batteries in the newer ones are phenomenal and last a long time.

You'll have to load iTunes on your computer. Easy and idiot proof for the most part. It will find all the music on your hard drive, transfer and display it in iTunes. Then when you plug your pod into the PC, iTunes will automatically transfer all of it to the iPod. Any change that you make to the contents of iTunes, will be made to the iPod the next time you synch them.

Due to compression, you lose fidelity unless you go with lossless downloads. So, if you want to use the device as a source in your home stereo, the sound will not be the equivalent of a CD or album. It still sounds good, just not as good.

Thats about 20 percent of it.

i had one for a month and gave it to my daughter, could not take the low fidelity..

If you are unaware: ipods are capable of playing lossless 24bit 48khz files.

this is interesting to know but i think you would still have to run the siginal through a quality outboard DAC. if you are doing this then you're giving up the convenience and portability, so i'll stand by my comment that its strengths are convenience and portability, thanks.

Or hang an Airport Express on the back of your receiver, connect them with a $3 toslink cable, use the iPod's "Remote" app to control iTunes on the computer, stream the music from iTunes on the computer to the Airport Express, and give up nothing instead. You can also use Airplay to go directly from the iPod to the Airport Express if you're so inclined, and in that case you also give up nothing.

The iPod touch is great for the gym. You can carry hours of music on it and keep your workout routines and notes in its Notes app. That's especially useful if you're using a periodized routine so you do something a little different each time you're there -- you never lose track of how many reps and what weight you're supposed to be doing today.

• Moderators

I love my iPod touch! If you have wifi, you can use it to surf the web - it's oh so handy. I can usually get a connection in most places these days.

If you do get one, download the app "Words With Friends" and we can play Scrabble against each other. I'm totally addicted. [:)]

I love my iPod touch! If you have wifi, you can use it to surf the web - it's oh so handy. I can usually get a connection in most places these days.

If you do get one, download the app "Words With Friends" and we can play Scrabble against each other. I'm totally addicted. Smile

So how do I play Scrabble with you?

If you do get one, download the app "Words With Friends" and we can play Scrabble against each other. I'm totally addicted. Smile

So how do I play Scrabble with you?

..........................crickets...........................................................

Nevermind my weird homor. Sometimes I have these images in my head (thank God no voices [;)]) I'll be receiving my first I-phone soon, but whenever funds are there, the Ipod Nano looks best choice for sports. That would be my choice. 16 GB is a lot of jogging, even lossless. Small, cool touch display. Greetings, Tim.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_nano?mco=MTM3NTEyNzg

Ps: Playing scrabble does sound like fun...