New member of Klipschorn family

runninshine

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful speakers guys! I'm hopeful this will be my year to joing the Khorn owners club. I've been wanting a pair since the late 70's.

Thank you! After reading through Gary's thread I want to break these down and try to clean the Cain grills. I also need to learn a few things about veneer....I am not too stoked about the lacquer on these. WIsh I could remove it all and go with the oiled look.

Beautiful speakers guys! I'm hopeful this will be my year to joing the Khorn owners club. I've been wanting a pair since the late 70's.

Thank you! After reading through Gary's thread I want to break these down and try to clean the Cain grills. I also need to learn a few things about veneer....I am not too stoked about the lacquer on these. WIsh I could remove it all and go with the oiled look.

You're right, now that I look at them, they are HIDEOUS! tappingfoot.gif

If you want, I can come and pick them up! You know, being the nice guy I am.

You really deserve much better looking speakers! green.gif

Just say the word and I will come and haul them off for you. whistle.gif

Dennie tease.gif

Honey...... Pack up the truck, we're going to Utah!! thumbup.gif

Dennie tease.gif

I hope I don't sound like I am complaining for they are very nice.

Bring your skis Dennie!!!

Dennie tease.gif

I hope I don't sound like I am complaining for they are very nice.

Bring your skis Dennie!!!

No, no! I didn't mean you sounded like you were complaining!

I just looked at the speakers again and I thought you deserve better.... and I was willing to "take them off your hands". [;)] LOL

I'm just messin' with you Sterling. I wish I had two corners, so I'm a little jealous!

I know you're loving them! inlove.gif

Dennie

Honey......pack the Ski's, we're going skiing before we pick up the Khorns!! camptrailer.gif

They are simply amazing, was originally powering them with a Kenwood Basic M2a, which drove them fairly well. Picked up a Hafler Dh-500 and they came to life. Was just looking at Jorjen's Jubs and am thinking of building a set of Rosewood Jubs, I have everything but the MDF. I think I need a bigger house.... LOL

This really is a sickness[;)]

They are simply amazing, was originally powering them with a Kenwood Basic M2a, which drove them fairly well. Picked up a Hafler Dh-500 and they came to life. Was just looking at Jorjen's Jubs and am thinking of building a set of Rosewood Jubs, I have everything but the MDF. I think I need a bigger house.... LOL

This really is a sicknessWink

Hobby! Darn it, I keep telling myself it is not a Sickness it is a HOBBY! LOL

A sickness involves Doctors! [:S]

Dennie [;)]

This really is a sicknessWink

...A sickness involves Doctors! Tongue Tied

Dennie Wink

Or a twelve step program! [^o)]

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to hear from Sterling after about three weeks with his Khorn's. How are they? I see you traded a set of Cornwalls. Compare the two for me if you don't mind.

I have a set of Cornwalls I've had for about thirty years. I'm about to join the Klipschorn family myself. I have a four hour road trip planned for Wednesday to pick up a pair of Walnut Oiled 84 models. I can't wait to get them home.

Beautiful speakers!

To help with the identification, the KC-BR stands for Klipschorn Type-C, Birch Raw. They were obviously refinished from raw birch to whatever veneer they have now, plus they were also converted to the Type-B Klipschorn (added the riser between the top and bottom section and kickplate on bottom added as well). The modification looks to be very well done. The salesman sample stamp indicates a store salesman purchased the speakers originally and got the salesman discount.

The salesman sample stamp indicates a store salesman purchased the speakers originally and got the salesman discount.

Thanks for that clarification, JMON. I had assumed it was for Klipsch-employed (travelling) salesmen, but hadn't worked out in my head how they might transport them from store to store...

I'd like to hear from Sterling after about three weeks with his Khorn's. How are they? I see you traded a set of Cornwalls. Compare the two for me if you don't mind.

I have a set of Cornwalls I've had for about thirty years. I'm about to join the Klipschorn family myself. I have a four hour road trip planned for Wednesday to pick up a pair of Walnut Oiled 84 models. I can't wait to get them home.

After updating the XOs and adding the pipe foam to the tail ends and top of the bass bins the Klipschorns have really become much more than I thought possible. The highs and mids have such a detail that often while listening goosebumbs often present themselves and the horn loaded bass is incredible and use the walls and floor like nothing I've ever experienced. Every day I can't wait to listen to them and now I keep thinging about all of the other mods that I have read about and wonder which one to go with next.

Getting rid of the CWs was hard but, I am glad they ended up with a fellow Klipsch lover. Compaing the two is difficult. After battling with which I liked better the CW or LS ,the LS just seemed to work better with my equipment and acoustics of my house. The horn loaded bass and mid range of the LS just pleased my ear so much that I had to try Khorns.

The CW just seemd to be too "boomy" and mid range was not there as much as I wanted it to be. So with that I had to make room for Khorns because of how much I liked the sound of a fully horn loaded 3 way speaker. So, IMO the horn loaded bass and mid range of the Khorn dominated.

Congrats on getting your Khorns. They are really great speakers and be sure to post some pics.

Hope that helps [^o)]

Sterling

Beautiful speakers!

To help with the identification, the KC-BR stands for Klipschorn Type-C, Birch Raw. They were obviously refinished from raw birch to whatever veneer they have now, plus they were also converted to the Type-B Klipschorn (added the riser between the top and bottom section and kickplate on bottom added as well). The modification looks to be very well done. The salesman sample stamp indicates a store salesman purchased the speakers originally and got the salesman discount.

Very cool, thank you for that info![Y]