Vinyl? Should i do it?

Guest Anonymous

I guess that I should continue, right, since I'm on a roll? [:D] How about this one:

Vinyl records have the lowest fielded fidelity of any surviving media, including cassette.

Comments?

Chris

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's difficult to play vinyl in your Audiovox-powered car sound system as you drive down the road...

Chris

Oh it's not really that hard... I've got a Teac reel to reel in my car. Auto reverse has simplified things alot..... lol.

Yes...searching out records...old, new, and used...is a heck of a lot of fun. My best advice would be to invest in a vacuum cleaning system . You don't need much. You can easily scrub them yourself...and there are any number of good solutions. DIY if you want...just get them as clean as possible before you sit down to listen. If you take care of them after that and put them in good sleeves, you never have to clean them again.

It really makes a huge difference and brings out the best in the worse looking records you find...and more important, you will quickly learn what is a cosmetic mark on the vinyl and what is real damage...and that knowledge will serve you well as you "invest" in the next record.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

So today, i found a guy that was selling about 700 45's. they came from a Radio station. got them pretty cheap. i also got a turntable as well. Its not the best unit, but its a decent start.

I noticed that all the records are fairly dirty, seems like they've been collecting some dust.

What is the best way to clean or wash them? Short of that the majority of the records are mint(ish)

I noticed that all the records are fairly dirty, seems like they've been collecting some dust.

What is the best way to clean or wash them? Short of that the majority of the records are mint(ish)

One of those Spin Clean units would be ideal, but diluted dish soap and a good rinse may be all you need. If you handle them carefully, you can avoid getting the labels wet. I've washed just-bought records and seen brown water coming off them, so they were literally "soiled". Good job that grit never got near my stylus.

You can also get spray-on LP cleaner, but for really grungy records, the diluted soap and running water should come first.

For old records I rigged up the blast-o-matic.

-1.jpg

I buy new records now. Yes there are some clean old records but few and far between. Start buying some new records and you'll be hooked. I love cleeeaaaannnnn vinyl. I'd rather buy one clean record for $10-$30 rather than buy a big stack of dirty noisey records for the same amount..

I clean every record before I play it, always have for 40 years - they are still clean and quiet.

Used records may be damaged and will likely be filthy. A used record that "looks perfect" may be ruined - you can't tell without hearing it. They can be cleaned, but they can't be fixed if ruined - the main way most records were ruined was by rough handling, playing them on crappy tables, not cleaning them, leaving them out , etc. A new record requires being cleaned before playing for the first time in order to remove the mold release... hardly anyone ever did that and the mold release was welded into the groove walls the first time it was played.

He is an easy way to clean records:

You will need:

New paint brush 4" wide with sharp bristles (not plastic, nylon, or any of those with stubby ends; get either boar hair or special fine end fibers)

Liquid made from 4 parts distilled water and 1 part isopropyl alcohol and a couple drops of Dawn dish soap

Microfiber dust free cloth

A drying rack or a mounted rod narrower than the spindle hole

Clean a record:

Spread a clean bath towel on kitchen table

Place record on towel

Dip brush in liquid and "paint" the record grooves holding the brush vertically and going round. The grooves will hold tight to the brush and you can go round either direction.

If the record is filthy, wipe it off and rinse the brush after the first couple of orbits, then resume

As long as the bristles are verticle you are getting the best effect; you can't press hard enough to hurt the vinyl, just go round and round for a few minutes

Then flip it over and do the other side

Then rinse it in distilled water using the rinsed brush to help - don't just dump the water on it, use a little with the brush, add, brush, add, brush... until it is clean

Dry with the cloth moving with the grain of the grooves

Set up the record in a drying rack or feed it on to the mounted rod (I use a radio antenna sticking out from an open drawer)

Wait about 30 minutes

Put record in New Record sleeve

=====

This will get your records as clean as possible short of a record cleaning machine with vacuum. If you hear noise on them after this, they were originally ruined and can't be recovered.

Guest Anonymous

For old records I rigged up the blast-o-matic.

-1.jpg

I buy new records now. Yes there are some clean old records but few and far between. Start buying some new records and you'll be hooked. I love cleeeaaaannnnn vinyl. I'd rather buy one clean record for $10-$30 rather than buy a big stack of dirty noisey records for the same amount..

Seti, can you give a couple close up pics of the label protector?