1 sub or 2 sub?

smokarz

Two are better than one - smoothes out response in room, bass will be more evenly distributed as you move around the room.

Try reducing the load on the Sub either run it's Room Calibration or adjust it's crossover.

Cornwalls should only need support below 40hertz - Set the cross over on the sub to around 50 hertz or so.

Does your sub have room calibration?

If this does not help I would get a sub or better yet two or three or four that is the same speed as your cornwalls but goes down to at least 24hertz.

thanks BE,

1 - the sub does not have room calibration

2 - this is an Emotiva 10" sub, and I believe it digs down to around 22-24hz

3 - this is an HT setup, so if i set x-over on the sub to 50hz, that mean my center and surrounds won't be able to handle the lower load. currently the sub x-over is set at 120hz, and all speakers x-overs are set at 80hz. perhaps i should set the Corns x-over to 60hz, and all other speakers to 100hz or so.

I like the dual sub setup myself, I don't suggest mixing sizes though as mixing different subs will also reduce the success of canceling out room resonances since they will exhibit different amplitude and phase responses. You will most likely focus on the 10" that is underperforming vs the Sub 12. I would suggest selecting two subwoofers (preferably the same model) that are each in their own capable of filling your theater room with ample bass without bottoming out or running out of gas. Most likely running dual 10's are not what you are looking for, I would look to dual 12's or stepping up to a single 15" sub or dual 15's if you can afford it. I went with the KA-1000-THX sub amp and did DIY dual 15's, the amp was a bit on the spendy side but I was able to buy my subs and build the enclosures at a very reasonable price.

Good Luck

~ross

Even with the big Danley DTS-10, I didn't get the rich pressurized fullness I wanted without a second! I think every room should use multiple subs.

What's your room size? If the Emo is capable of handling your room size, then I suggest adding a second. However, if you've got a large room, you're pissing in the wind.

my room is roughly 13'x24'

the Emotiva 10 was doing pretty darn well when pair with the RF3s and was in my living room.

now that i move it to the new movie/media room, and partnering up with the cornwalls. it just kinda, fell short.

Are the Cornwalls cancelling the Sub out?

Try different locations for the sub in the room.

Sub(s) can actually work like noise cancelling headsets when paired with full range speakers.

This happend to me when I had Forte IIs. I hooked up the sub ran the room eq, it was so cool room was shaking, then I fired up the entire system only to find I less Bass with the sub?

I could not change the location until we purchased new furnature so unitl then I used the "Phase" feature to keep the sub from canceling out the Fortes.

Now I have the sub in different location and no longer set the phase at 180.

Smokarz,

I had the chance to bring my Ultra 12 to a somewhat recent Klipsch gathering......

It was paired with Pro Corns; and even placed towards the center of the room (NOT optimally placed; RCA cable was too short);

It kept up nicely........

I suggest getting an Ultra 12, then selling the ten and adding a second 12 if necessary........

On sale in the new piano black finish for $429 shipped........

My .02.....

Good Luck.......

We were doing music at the gathering.......

The price increase is because they updated the cabinet styling.....

Now a mirror black finish instead of the wood grain........

Good Luck with your dilemma..... (It will work out.... [;)] )

Edit: This weekend, Big Cliff and I will be having a sub shootout of sorts.......

He has a 10" HSU; versus the Emotiva U12......

It should be fun...... [:D]

thanks for the input iron,

were you listening to music or movie at this gathering?

i wish the 10 were still on sale for $250, would pick up another.

the new prices seems a bit overvalue to me.

Here is what I would do. Get the Emotiva 12 and see if it is good enough by itself. If it isn't the pair it up with your ten and hopefully that

will be good enough. If the 12 by itself is good enough then you can sell the 10 or use it in a seperate system. Now if the 12 and 10 together

is still not enough well then I guess you will have to get another 12. Or you can wait till after this weekend and see how the Emotiva 12

makes out against the HSU STF 2 and go from there.

Emotiva has great prices on their equipment and accessories. Don't take for granted what they offer at the price they offer it at. Their subwoofer prices are not, by a long shot overpriced.

i didn't mean emotiva gear are overprice....well, maybe i did gave the impression.

i like to shop for deals, and at it's current prices (though fair)....personally, it's a bit pricey for me.....

We were doing music at the gathering.......

The price increase is because they updated the cabinet styling.....

Now a mirror black finish instead of the wood grain........

Good Luck with your dilemma..... (It will work out.... Wink )

Edit: This weekend, Big Cliff and I will be having a sub shootout of sorts.......

He has a 10" HSU; versus the Emotiva U12......

It should be fun...... Big Smile

thanks...what were the crossover on the khorns? it seems that my conrns kinda overpower my Ultra 10....perhaps i need to play around a bit more with the x-overs and sub placements.