Got a Klipsch but is it a heresy?

Dan308

My first post so take it easy. I got this speaker with the intent to make a center channel. When I opened the back here is what I found. What is this? Some sort of Heresy I think but I'm no expert.

woofer K-22

Mid K 55V

Tweeter K 77

X-over 4RB ????

I want to rebuild the crossover and put the mid and tweet in a custom center channel box with 2 Eminence Alpha-8A drivers. Well let's start here. Now for the pics

Dan

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

pre Heresys...Model H (for Heresy)...the crossovers are different but I think the drivers are current for Heresys...if you can give us the serial number off the label (or imp[rinted in the back of the wood on the edge) we can get you the year...nice and welcome!

Bill

what you have is an early heresy ( model H ) from around 1960-1962. it has the same internals as a modern heresy except it has the k-1000 mid horn lens instead of the k-700 and the ev woofers were replaced with the K-22 E's

i wouldn't remove anything in this speaker its worth more together than in pieces. sell it intact and use the money to buy what you need for your home made speaker.i have one of these i use for a center between a set of heresys.

can you post some pics of the front cab. thanks

my 68 heresys have the same woofers with the 700 horn

Thanks guys, I've been a klipsch fan since the 70's. I owned some Heresys way back when, they just didn't look like this one. I have a 5.1 system with Klipsch senergy series speakers driven with a B&K AVR507. I hooked it up as a center channel and it played pretty good.

So you think I should sell this thing and get the parts to make a center? I'd be willing to trade for the parts. I don't want to butcher this thing if it has value to someone I just want a good center. Where to go from here?

Posted Image

Posted Image

your location is. you can email me that info if you want to keep it private.

the cabinet looks to be in good condition and somebody made a removable grill for it because klipsch didn't make removable grills until 1975. thats what i would have done if the cloth was messed up. probaly cane which is what mine has on it

i'm interested, its the shipping that scares me

Thanks guys, I've been a klipsch fan since the 70's. I owned some Heresys way back when, they just didn't look like this one. I have a 5.1 system with Klipsch senergy series speakers driven with a B&K AVR507. I hooked it up as a center channel and it played pretty good.

So you think I should sell this thing and get the parts to make a center? I'd be willing to trade for the parts. I don't want to butcher this thing if it has value to someone I just want a good center. Where to go from here?

Speaker.jpg

Speakerfront.jpg

If you want to do a parts swap, or if you need a custom build, let me know. I have a complete wood shop and a full array of Heritage parts.

Personally, this should be usable for you as is, unless you just want a vertical version so you can lay it down instead of standing it up.

your model H is from 1967. The earliest model H was from 1958 and only 18 were made of the 1958 versions. here is a pic of a 1958 version and the white papers for it. The typical 1967 version had Type C crossover network, Electrovoice SP12B 16 ohm Woofers, EV T-35 Tweeters and the atlas PDH5V driver (k-55).

post-22082-13819635880574_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the interest. I would like to get a horizontal center
like the one I have now. I have a 73" tv and it won't fit in the stand.
I figure 31x11.25x15 would be just right.

I don't think that grill comes off, but I didn't force it either.

Thanks for all the interest. I would like to get a horizontal center

like the one I have now. I have a 73" tv and it won't fit in the stand.

I figure 31x11.25x15 would be just right.

I don't think that grill comes off, but I didn't force it either.

I sent you a PM.

...your model H is from 1967.

How can you tell without a serial number?

The typical 1967 version had Type C crossover network...

Type C network arrived with the K700 horn and a 700 Hz crossover point between woofer and squawker. OP's Heresy has a K1000 horn and the appropriate crossover to go with it.

The RB xovers were functionally AA xovers. Type 1RB was used on the Khorn, type 4RB in the model H, type 2RB in the cornwall. 1RB, 2RB and 4RB xovers looked identical. My take is that due to the gentle slope nature of the RB xovers, the actual cutoff factored in the hi pass characteristics of of the horns they were used with.

• 2 weeks later...