Looking for tube amp suggestions for Khorns

emmvette

I've tried to search and have read through a lot of posts, but the search function can be difficult. What I would like to learn from others with experience is what preamps and amps have good synergy with the Khorns? I'm really interested in tube equipment suggestions, unless you really have some great experience with SS, then share! The point of this thread is to learn from other's experience and not have to go through the buy / sell process several times to get a good match. Hopefully we will get some good replies, and this can be a nice thread that can be useful to others in the future.

If you have been through a few preamps / amps feel free to share your comparisons and let us know what doesn't work so well too. So far I'm gathering anything JM is good, I've read a few with Scott 299s are happy, and NOS VRDs have very some happy listeners. Please share your experiences. I really wasn't planning to put a price range request in here, but lets keep it reasonable. New / old - it doesn't matter. Just great sound and synergy!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience has been that tubes have outperformed any of the best solid state amplifiers I've used (brands that include Jeff Rowland, Classe, Threshold, Nakamichi, Harman Kardon). I've tried and have had good success with Wright Sound, Juicy Music, and Audio Research tube power amps. I've tried and had good success with Juicy Music and Cary tube preamps. For solid state, I will say that I once owned an Audio Research LS-3 solid state preamp and it really was a great performer.

The Mcintosh MC275 and the Khorn are a match made in Heaven. I have found that one MC275 is enough power for me, however if you really want to crank it up you can run (2) MC275's bridged as tube monoblocks for 150wpc. Either way it will sound fabulous! For a preamp to go with the Mcintosh MC275 I would suggest the C220, C2200, or C2300 depending on the number and types of inputs and outputs you want. They will all be a good match sonically. Another suggestion is the Mcintosh MA2275 integrated amp if you think 75wpc will work for you. You can save alot of money as well as the hassle of matching a preamp. If you go this route you should not loose sound quality but you will loose some flexibility. Whatever you do you will not go wrong with a Klipsch/Mcintosh set up.

I think it depends in part on what end result you want to experience.

If I may try to draw two extremes to make my point clear.

1. If you want to have "background dinner music" then I'd feel some of these flea amps might be the perfect ticket. In this neighborhood, I've had the Transcendent SE-OTL amp (bridged monoblocks @ 4 watts each), Wright 2A3 SET, Viva 300B SET

This gave me very relaxed background music and at one point, even my sister in law (who detests speakers and electronics in the house as does my wife) dropped her fork during dinner and said something to the effect of "OMG, that sounds SO real playing in there....sounds like she's actually in there singing"

2. If you want more than dinner music levels (as I do) then in my opinion you can't work with the low powered amps and will need more beef. To that end, I had the Quad II's (I think 30/40 watts? I forget), McIntosh MC-30 monoblocks and of course, the beautiful McIntosh MC-2102. These gave me more of the ability that I want. I also put this ability higher on MY priority scale than sitting in the chair (sweet spot) and trying to localize which violin player is sitting behind the other and what color their outfits are. I move about too much to focus on who's bow is poking someone else in the head.

Scenario 2 will allow more of the speakers dynamics to come into play. By that, I mean, you can create a life size scale if you want AND still have some headroom to spare should it be needed.

When I sold my Khorns and had the Jubilee's, I had the Viva 300B SET amp (about 8 watts) on my top horn in a biamped situation. Some guys have 8 watts on their entire speaker, I had it crossed at 450hz on up so I might have had some extra headroom. I still heard it running out of gas from time to time.

Had I been able to get the SE-OTL sound with 100 watts behind it and XLR inputs, I'd be all over that like peanut butter on my dogs lips.

I love my 2A3 PP amps for my k-horns. I would say any of the PP EL84 amps (like the dynaco st-35 for example), classic or modern would be a great match. the EL34 based amps are a great match as well like the dynaco st-70 the marantz 8b (my fave!) and many modern versions/interpretations. I found the 2A3 and 300b SETs didnt have enough umph for my taste but others are happy with those solutions (and even 45 based SETs!). k-horns love tubes and dont need a lot of juice so any very quiet (the k-horn will pick up any hum or hiss) tube amp from 10-50 watts should float your boat. IMHO the most important thing is to try to audition in your system an amp before buying. what we recommend may not work well in your house, with your music and with your specific system. warm regards, Tony

Russ69, or anybody else, have you heard these paired with Klipschorns?

Short answer is no. The long answer is that I have the mini-monos and the tube monos are the same basic amp but tweaked to work with very high efficiency loudspeakers. (dead quiet with horns) They are a very nice sounding amplifier. I have them hooked up to my Heresy IIIs and the Heresys are not of sufficient quality to reveal how good the amps are. I had them hooked up to the very revealing Triangle Celius and found the amps to be one of the best I've heard. If you like the sound of the EL-34 tube, you will like these amps.

I think it depends in part on what end result you want to experience.

If I may try to draw two extremes to make my point clear.

1. If you want to have "background dinner music" then I'd feel some of these flea amps might be the perfect ticket. In this neighborhood, I've had the Transcendent SE-OTL amp (bridged monoblocks @ 4 watts each), Wright 2A3 SET, Viva 300B SET

This gave me very relaxed background music and at one point, even my sister in law (who detests speakers and electronics in the house as does my wife) dropped her fork during dinner and said something to the effect of "OMG, that sounds SO real playing in there....sounds like she's actually in there singing"

I think it will help to put some measurements on what you term as "backround Dinner Music" - I use 45 SET amps rated at 1.8 watts per channel into my Khorns and at my listening position of 12 feet away, I have measured most of my listening at around the mid 80s db with peaks at the low 90s db. My speakers are probably using probably less than 1/2 watt per channel. I do not want the music any louder than this, as I want to protect my hearing.I am not interested in reproducing rock concert sound levels in my home.

Also, Mid 80s db is way too loud for any dinner conversation at my home. At the mid 80s db you would have to shout to someone sitting a few feet away from you. Unless of course your dining room is located very far away from your Khorns. These types of mischaracterisations have caused a lot of problems on this forum.

I think it will help to put some measurements on what you term as "backround Dinner Music" - I use 45 SET amps rated at 1.8 watts per channel into my Khorns and at my listening position of 12 feet away, I have measured most of my listening at around the mid 80s db with peaks at the low 90s db. My speakers are probably using probably less than 1/2 watt per channel. I do not want the music any louder than this, as I want to protect my hearing.I am not interested in reproducing rock concert sound levels in my home.

Also, Mid 80s db is way too loud for any dinner conversation at my home. At the mid 80s db you would have to shout to someone sitting a few feet away from you. Unless of course your dining room is located very far away from your Khorns. These types of mischaracterisations have caused a lot of problems on this forum.

Cut-Throat, I read one of your old posts on the Star Chiefs, it sounds like you really like them. I couldn't find much online about them, are they an availble kit or built to order? How loud will these get at 1.8W?

A few good points are made above. When listening with my family home, the levels are quiet to mid. When by myself, I occasionally like to turn the volume up and pretend like I'm a teenager. Yes, it probably isn't good for my ears, but that's what I do.

Cut-Throat, I read one of your old posts on the Star Chiefs, it sounds like you really like them. I couldn't find much online about them, are they an availble kit or built to order? How loud will these get at 1.8W?

A few good points are made above. When listening with my family home, the levels are quiet to mid. When by myself, I occasionally like to turn the volume up and pretend like I'm a teenager. Yes, it probably isn't good for my ears, but that's what I do.

The Star Chiefs were a limited production from Welborne Labs. They are very similar to the DRD45 Welbornes also. I used to own the DRD45s and could not tell a difference between them and the Starchiefs. Neither of these amps are available anymore except used. A DRD45 pops up on Audiogon once in awhile.

A 45 amp is not a party amp. If you turn up the volume to 100db levels in your home on Klipschorns, the amps will clip and they will 'run out of gas'. They may not be the amps for you. But, if you listen to music in the mid to upper 80s db with peaks in the lower 90s db, I have not found a sweeter sounding amp than the 45 SET.

Here is a Decibel Chart. Keep in mind that sounds above 90db for periods of 8 hours or more can damage your hearing. At 115 db the time is around 15 minutes. People that dwell over the nuances of a sound of a Capacitor should keep in mind their most imortant piece of audio gear are their ears.

dbcHART.jpg?t=1296683987

i tried a Denon Home theater receiver, a Jolida 102b tube amp, a new solid state stereo receiver the outlaw audio rr2150 and now VRD monoblocks with a blueberry extreme preamp.

the rr2150 was good, the VRD's are great.

the jolida is a 20 watt tube amp, it didn't have enough guts, fortitude or cajones but sounded nice. the home theater receiver was not very good at all.

good luck!

The Star Chiefs were a limited production from Welborne Labs. They are very similar to the DRD45 Welbornes also. I used to own the DRD45s and could not tell a difference between them and the Starchiefs. Neither of these amps are available anymore except used. A DRD45 pops up on Audiogon once in awhile.

A 45 amp is not a party amp. If you turn up the volume to 100db levels in your home on Klipschorns, the amps will clip and they will 'run out of gas'. They may not be the amps for you. But, if you listen to music in the mid to upper 80s db with peaks in the lower 90s db, I have not found a sweeter sounding amp than the 45 SET.

Here is a Decibel Chart. Keep in mind that sounds above 90db for periods of 8 hours or more can damage your hearing. At 115 db the time is around 15 minutes. People that dwell over the nuances of a sound of a Capacitor should keep in mind their most imortant piece of audio gear are their ears.

dbcHART.jpg?t=1296683987

Hey I'm going to use that chart for my next amp release... the slogan will be "buy this SET amp and save your hearing" [;)]